• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Taitec GTLW or GT102? Which one to get?

I know a lot of people love the their Taitec GTLW but I can't seem to find any info on the Taitec GT102 with burnt tips (same as the GT002). I want a exhaust that would give me a high pitch at WOT (higher RPM -Vtec). Which one should I go for?

GT102
gt102_002.jpg

OR

GT LIGHTWEIGHT
GT_Lightweight_above2.jpg

I have the GTLW and absolutely love it. Have not come accross the 102 so cant compare ..
//Kye

I have the Taitec GTLW exhaust. If you have OEM exhaust manifolds ('91-'96), the GTLW will drone around 2500rpm (very loud in the cabin). I changed my manifolds to headers, and the drone is gone. The GTLW has a very unique sound. At certain RPM, the pitch is quite high.

I know a lot of people love the their Taitec GTLW but I can't seem to find any info on the Taitec GT102 with burnt tips (same as the GT002). I want a exhaust that would give me a high pitch at WOT (higher RPM -Vtec). Which one should I go for?

GT102
gt102_002.jpg

OR

GT LIGHTWEIGHT
GT_Lightweight_above2.jpg

I have the GT002 in standard version (no burnt tips) on my '98 (stock manifold/cats) and would say it is 1 stage louder than standard muffler but a lot less loud than the GTLW.
I feel the GT002 to be a perfect muffler if your NSX is a daily driver: hardly noticable when cruising but a nice decent roar when pushing it:wink: .
However, as my NSX is my funcar:biggrin: , I do want a bit more sound and so a GT-006 LW is on it's way from Japan, do hope it won't be TOO loud in the long run:redface:

Last edited:
I'm sure the GT-One exhausts sound good bu, man, that's a lot of piping.:eek:

I've got the GTLW with straight pipes and it wails like a screaming banshee. And it's very light. I bought mine more out of weight saving consideration than auditory performance but sound proved to be a nice plus.

I'm sure every owner that has bought either of the ones in question would state that theirs is "better." That said, I haven't heard or seen another exhaust that would make me sell the GTLW presently installed.

The GT102 looks to be the same as the original GT parallel. I had it for 2 weeks when SoS started importing the Taitec exhausts. I got rid of it because of the exhaust doesn't have the sound that I was looking for. It just sound ordinary, but just louder.

So I've heard both and definitely prefer the GTLW. On top of the nicer tone, the weight saving is significant. So I'll pick the GTLW hands down!

I just put on the GT102, and loving it, waited 7 years before I put on an exhaust modification. The sound has a great pitch to it, its not crazy loud, but loud enough to get notice if you rev on it. The burnt tip is a big visual plus.

Glad to hear you like it, Si. Now, would you be willing to take some pics, sound clips, etc and post them? I'd be forever indebted to you :smile: :smile:

Just curious but would there be any problems passing smog with either of these exhausts in CA? Yes, I am a noob when it comes to exhausts.:)

Sang,

I would think that smog issues only come into play when you change your headers. I think changing the exhaust is not an issue as long as you leave the catalytic converter in place.

Glad to hear you like it, Si. Now, would you be willing to take some pics, sound clips, etc and post them? I'd be forever indebted to you :smile: :smile:

Yes, please post some sound/video clips! If this is only marginally heavier than the GTLW and is quieter, it might be a good choice for me. I'm interested in light weight first, relatively quiet sound second. Sounds like a good compromise.

Just curious but would there be any problems passing smog with either of these exhausts in CA? Yes, I am a noob when it comes to exhausts.:)

I smogged my NSX with the Taitec GTLW last year, and it passed without any problems (test only station). I had to help the smog technician out, he didn't know where anything was. :wink:

Back