Swapping a Mugen-Honda V8 into NSX?

The other day, a buddy found a Mugen-Honda V8 block in a F3000/Formula Nippon racecar for relatively cheap (car is damaged, motor appears ok) and I initially toyed with the idea of putting it into an Acura RL since Mugen has done so before. The motor in question does not appear to be the MF408S (590+hp 4.0L motor in the Mugen Legend Max M1 or in the Panoz LMP07). I believe it's a 1998 block and is likely the 450-480-hp 3.0L motor instead. Could this potentially fit into an NSX? Obviously it would still be a difficult if not impossible swap since I've never seen a V8 swapped into an NSX.

Yes yes, I'm better off with a stock NSX blah blah blah. I like senseless projects, hence the question.

Here's the motor in question:
asaka415king-img600x450-1200430137dc011614.jpg

asaka415king-img600x450-1200430190dc011615.jpg

Anything is possible! You just have to ask yourself, how deep are your pockets?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, that'd probably be a big budget project.

Not knowing what im talking about, i would:

Find the dimensions on the engine
locate the mounts to see if theyll line up, doubt it since the engine is mounted perpendicular
find which way the engine turns

My bet is that it would be cheaper to mount the rest of an nsx on that racecar than put that engine in an NSX

I think you need to keep studying your anatomy and stop daydreaming about nsx-mugen race motor swaps:wink:

Finished med school many many years ago and bored at the moment ;)

Recently bought a Mugen-powered Formula 3 racecar and happen to notice a Mugen V8 block for sale on some of those race sites. Just curious.

Don't egg this guy on. He will go for the project if we prod him enough.

one word Tom

DOIT!

Finished med school many many years ago and bored at the moment ;)

Recently bought a Mugen-powered Formula 3 racecar and happen to notice a Mugen V8 block for sale on some of those race sites. Just curious.

Time to update your screen name:smile: Take a long look at the engine bay in the nsx and take the dimmensions of that motor+trany then do the math!If it could be done you would end up with an unstreatable car with a tired old race engine,,,,but lots of props on prime!

If you got the skills and the money, go for it! People stuff V8s in Fieros and any kitcar that comes along....Measure, and see if it will fit!! Maybe go widebody and make room for the extra 2 cylinders!!! There are stereo guys on prime that stuff factory Acura nav systems into the nsx, people probably think they are crazy too...:wink:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u6ALySsPXt0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u6ALySsPXt0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

guy's dont hate on medical students idea. He has impeccable credentials Mugen s2000 build, tracy widebody s2000 build, and s600 build. We all know that this would be a very challenging project, but if it can be done, this is a man that would do it.

thanks
tom

Anything is possible. More likely you would need to tube frame the car with new mounting points. The electronics would be easy but the tranny is different task. More likely you will need to custom downpipe for the exhaust manifold, etc...

if i had the time, money, and resources..... i'd be the first :wink:

i honestly don't think that it'd be THAT bad. find something that fits and do it up. if they can put a viper engine into a PT cruiser, you can put SOMETHING in the nsx.

Lets see some info on the builds you have already done, the s600 in particular.

His S600 is currently being restored.

As for the rest of his cars, he sold his Tracy widebody recently to someone in cali
ybbq2.jpg

ymean1.jpg

still has his Mugen S2000
wMTEzMjg2MjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTEzODEyNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

wMTEwODg5ODZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Whew...done searching

I love the s600 !! I am 6'2" do you think I can fit into one ? I have been thinking about searching for one but I do not want travel halfway around the country to find out is impossible to fit into one.

BTW I have heard a NSX with a V8 stuffed into it but never confirmed it. Good luck with your project.

Anything is possible, I don't think a low torque/high RPM motor would be much fun in a car as heavy as the NSX.

Tranny hook up should not be a huge deal, swap clutch disc with a Honda spline, custom flywheel with a bearing that will match the input shaft nose from the NSX tranny and an adapter plate to make it all bolt up.

Real question is if the is enough room to get the motor to fit transverse into the engine compartment? What is the dimension from the crank pulley to the back of the block where the tranny mounts? The NSX motor is wide, but not real long, it measures about 24" total and there is less than 1" of room past it. The clearance get tighter as you go up to where the timing belt cover is on the NSX motor too. That will be a fun set of headers to make too!

I think the cool V8 swap is an LS7! If you drop the NSX gas tank out, cut the first fire wall out and let the motor poke into the area where the tank was, the motor will just fit longitudinally instead of transverse.

This is a bolt up to a Porsche G50 trans axle, flipped upside down. Porsche did this in their mid engine race cars. All the parts are off the shelf to make the drive line work, only need custom axles and that is no big deal.

LS7 is dry sumped from the factory so you can slam it right down on the ground, comes with the computer to run it, 30K warranty, all for less than $13K!:eek:

Still plenty of motor mount and header fun to work out:rolleyes: ...but that would be fun!:biggrin:

If anything is possible and you've got the means, buy 2 of these engines and put one in the front and one in the back of the NSX.

If anything is possible and you've got the means, buy 2 of these engines and put one in the front and one in the back of the NSX.

Driving the front wheels, sounds like the new Audi R8+8!

Wait...we have all forgot the passenger seat! Almost any motor will fit there:biggrin:

I say go for it!!! That would be awesome if it would work. I think Dave is right though, low torque/high hp would take some of the fun out of driving the NSX. On the other hand though, it's unique and that equals fun in its self. Good luck bro.

Greetings

Found these on a web site. The dimensions of the Mugen MF408S are as follows:

Width 720 mm -- 29 inches
Length 559 mm without flywheel -- 22 inches
Height 557 mm without flywheel -- 22 inches

Just doing cursory measurements on the engine compartment of mine, it might fit. There would be issue of connecting to a transmission, adding extra venting to keep it cool, etc.

It would be a fun science project. I have helped build a few kit cars in my time and done various engine and transmission swaps where a torch and welder were needed.

I went to an estate sale in Monte Sereno, CA several years ago to look at a Ferrari for sale. I was in for a shock -- it was disassembled and scattered all though a garage. It took me half an hour to find all 12 pistons. I ran some numbers with the local Ferrari dealership in Los Gatos and decided it was more of a labor of love than I was willing to commit to -- afraid Pet would commit me to an institute if I bought it. I don't think that this would be quite as big a job. You would definitely want professional help -- I agree that you should redo the engine before you install it.

May the Force be with you on this one. :-)
Martin

Last edited:
Back