Suspension suggestion please

Hi fellow primers,

I recently became a proud owner of a 98-T. I have been messing around with cars a long time. However I am new to MR setup as in NSX, and would like some help, advice and suggestion. I searched and read many post regarding this subject from other members. Everyone has different background and requirements. Here is mine.

A little back ground info:
1. 98-T on Volk racing GTS riding 235-35R18 in the front, 275-30ZR19 in the rear(bought the car that way.)

2. Living in NYC where the majority of the roads are rough to say the least.

3. Currently in Stock springs & shocks/struts.

4. Mostly likely will see very little to none track time.

What I am looking for:
1. Springs that lowers the car no more than 1.5 MAX (bad roads).

2. Better handling for spirited driving without harsh ride.

3. Adjustability not required. Inexpensive preferred.

All information, suggestions, advices, comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. For those of us in the states, Happy & Safe 4th. weekend.
Bernard

You may not like this advice, but my advice to new NSX drivers has always been to drive the car on the OEM set-up and get to know it and then decide what you may want to change after getting a good baseline. You already said you are unfamiliar with the MR layout. Why don't you just go ahead and get to know the car first and change things later.

Sorry, but I hope this helps.

He's running 18/19's, so the OEM setup might already not be good. I would first try some stock wheels/tires (or similar light/more correct combo) and you'll notice a big difference right away. Most say the car is more peppy and handles better, or so I have heard.

You may not like this advice, but my advice to new NSX drivers has always been to drive the car on the OEM set-up and get to know it and then decide what you may want to change after getting a good baseline. You already said you are unfamiliar with the MR layout. Why don't you just go ahead and get to know the car first and change things later.

Sorry, but I hope this helps.

Ken & moderator. Thanks for the advice. I will think about it. I read a lot of ppl here have the type-R chassis bars installed. I am thinking about that too but I realized that the my T does not have the same rigidity as a coupe due to the lack of a solid roof. I am wondering if installing the bars would disturb the balance because I am sure that acura takes into consideration the T and compensate for it already.

Thanks.

Sorry if this was on the wrong forum. I thought I had started the thread in the owner's section.

Bernard

Ken & moderator. Thanks for the advice. I will think about it. I read a lot of ppl here have the type-R chassis bars installed. I am thinking about that too but I realized that the my T does not have the same rigidity as a coupe due to the lack of a solid roof. I am wondering if installing the bars would disturb the balance because I am sure that acura takes into consideration the T and compensate for it already.

Thanks.

Sorry if this was on the wrong forum. I thought I had started the thread in the owner's section.

Bernard

It will help a little bit. Due to the fact that there is a break in the structure, you will always have some degree of flex and squeaks.

Take ChopJazz advise set it up as total stock rims/wheels/suspension first and drive it for a month then do changes in stages.

my sugestion ;zanardi(type S) springs and koni yellow shocks,good performance,cheap,half inch drop.BTW your wheels 18/19 and rubber band tires are not nyc pothole friendly.

During the past two years of ownership I have enjoyed the factory setup on both 17/18s and the factory wheels & yokos. Its good to get the feel of the car as it was originally designed. It handles like its on rails too. It was very impressive on my last palomar run.

This is the setup I am planning for my car.

Bilsteins on OEM springs. Installed on the lower perch yields a decent 7/8 inch drop with reported better handling and similar ride to stock. (NOPI & DaliRacing have the best deal for around $530).

http://http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=352

The Type R front chassis bars are good for helping keep the car rigid. (SOS sells a kit for $250).

http://http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/exterior_performance_products/NSX/Honda/NSX-R_chassis_reinforcement/default.asp

The Type R sway in the front and keep the OEM rear.

http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1824

I agree the stock wheels and tires are lighter and the car feels peppier. I just like the look of the bigger wheels, so its a all a comprimise.

Enjoy your car! :smile:

DocJohn,

It would not be my first choice to run 18/19 wheels. The car sort of came with it, and It does look better in reality. I dont track the car at all anyway. However I was interested in the zanardi springs setup. Thanks for the advice.

Big D,

Thanks for the link and info.

Thanks.

Bernard

your chassis can never be too stiff - R chassis bars are a good investment. you will feel the difference. (probably more with the T)

if you're in NYC, i'd consider keeping the stock suspension. i don't know how the typeS suspension is, but you probably don't want the NSX-R suspension in the city (i hate it on crappy highways and city streets with random unevenness - luckily, i don't have to deal with that on a daily basis right now).

i guess it all boils down to how much you wanna spend, too.

Synthesis,

thanks for the input and advice. I think most likely I will just stick with my current stock suspension because of my 18/19 wheels setup and NYC street but install the R chassis bars just to stiffen my T a little more.

Thanks again everyone.

Just about everything you say - the rough roads in NYC, the potholes, your desire to avoid a harsh ride - means that you would be much, much better off getting smaller wheels, either 17"/18", or 16"/17" (and given your priorities, I recommend the latter). There are not many solutions for better handling without a harsher ride, but this is one of them, and I think it's a good idea in your case. For example, you can typically get a used set of the stock 7-spoke 16"/17" NSX wheels for around $1K or even slightly less. The '94-96 had a gunmetal finish; the otherwise identical '97-01 had a brushed aluminum finish.

While grip and handling are not the same thing, you can increase the amount of grip that your car has by getting some really sticky tires. One of today's supersticky, "extreme performance" tires will give you greater grip than you probably have now. For 16"/17" wheels, you can get the Falken Azenis RT-615 in 215/45-16 and 255/40-17, or the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R in 205/45-16 and 245/40-17. For 17"/18" wheels, the Falken Azenis RT-615 is available in 215/40-17 and 265/35-18.

I would also suggest not going crazy with aftermarket suspension parts. Your shocks may be worn at this time. The OEM shocks are actually a pretty good compromise between precise handling and decent ride comfort; the Bilsteins are also good, for the same reason. It's also worth mentioning that the Bilsteins come with two mounting perches, and you can lower your car 7/8" by using the lowering perches. That way, you can get the lowering without the harsh ride downside of aftermarket springs.

Yes, there are other things you can do to get better handling - sway bars, springs, adjustable shocks or coilovers - but they mostly involve a stiffer ride, and it sounds like that might not be the best choice in your case.

So if I were in your situation, I'd get some 16"/17" wheels, some really sticky tires for them, Bilstein shocks mounted on the lowering perches, and call it a day.

Last edited:
your chassis can never be too stiff - R chassis bars are a good investment. you will feel the difference. (probably more with the T)

if you're in NYC, i'd consider keeping the stock suspension. i don't know how the typeS suspension is, but you probably don't want the NSX-R suspension in the city (i hate it on crappy highways and city streets with random unevenness - luckily, i don't have to deal with that on a daily basis right now).

i guess it all boils down to how much you wanna spend, too.

+1
Well worth it!
Type-R suspension will be harsh on crappy pavement.
It all comes down to your KungFu endurance skills.

I'm from nyc as well and even though i personally don't have this setup, I heard the bilstein shocks with the lower spring perch rides 95% like stock and lowers the car by 3/4 of an inch.

I just installed the JRZ RS coilovers thanks to Jon Martin !! The ride feels like stock, they are height adjustable and offer compression and rebound adjustment. Only problem is cost but they are well worth it !!!!!!

I changed from 18/18 to 15/16 stockies. Ride is much smoother and I got compliments from my passengers. I'm running on Tein Superstreet adjusted 8 clicks from soft. Car lowered about 1 inch. Since yours is a 98 smallest stock wheels will be 16/17.

Bilsteins/stock springs or Tein Flex coilovers. Yojack is San Francisco has the Flex coilovers and his is absolutely butter smooth, smoother than stock springs.

Thanks for the input. I think eventually I will go back to either 17/17 or 17/18 setup. The concensus seems to be stock springs on bilstein. Sounds good to me. I will probably add the R chassis bars . The only other option that I may go with down the road is Zanardi springs on Konis.

btw, can bilstein handles the zanardi springs?
thanks

Back