• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

Suspension questions/recommendations and request for pics please

hi Guys

Suspension is on the top of my list. i have a few goals and trying to not do suspension over and over, i was hoping to obtain some insight and recommendations from all of you guys out there.

I am looking to see if anyone has any closeup pics with the stock rims with

- bilsteins and H&R springs

or

- bilsteins and Eibach springs

Or any other suggestions? ie: tien, neuspeed, etc. I am looking to just eliminate most of the fender gap, but i dont want to wear out the tires or any other parts of the car too too fast.( i am aware things will wear out faster once i lower the car, compared to stock, and i am willing to make some sacrifices.) Which brings me to my next question about front and or rear camber kits or do i need one with either one of these setups, since they dont lower as much as coil overs. etc. It would be nice to lower the car and keep the stock specs for a alignment. not sure that is possible)

As for ride quality, i was looking for something similar to stock but a bit stiffer. i am not interested in a jarring, ear wax clearing rough ride. Also, was hoping to see if there was also a combo that accomodated all those listed above as well as be adjustable height (up or down) and ride (stiffer of softer)

Last question is, which perch setting onthe Bilsteins to use as well? the upper or the lower with either the Eibach or the H&R in order to achieve the look i am looking for. Please keep in mind, i am not trying to slam the car... just lower enough to get rid of most of the gap.

I live in the SF bay area and unfortunately there are a significant amount of potholes and hills out here, so i need to be mindful of those items as well.

Is there anyone on this board that has the Eibach or H&R with Bilsteins and lives in the SF bay area that can meet up so i can see your setup in person with stock wheels?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:
HKS Hypermax coilover. A bit pricier than Tein but more comfy. The ride height can be adjusted any way you want if it's a coilover.

I highly recommend going with Bilsteins using OEM springs on the lower perch. This will provide you a modest 7/8" drop and will not be a bone-jarring ride. I can't imagine going any lower than 7/8" because my front lip already scrapes quite often.

Again, looking into Type R struts, I got them and the car handles beautiful.

Agree. That's what I did and would recommend as well.

Psychobiology said:
I highly recommend going with Bilsteins using OEM springs on the lower perch. This will provide you a modest 7/8" drop and will not be a bone-jarring ride. I can't imagine going any lower than 7/8" because my front lip already scrapes quite often.

Edub said:
Is there anyone on this board that has the Eibach or H&R with Bilsteins and lives in the SF bay area that can meet up so i can see your setup in person with stock wheels?

Much appreciated!

Eric

Eric,

You may want to post the above in the Northwest section of NSXPrime.

Mike

Just a suggestion: Why not consider the TEIN Flex? When you add the springs + dampers, they is only a $200.00 difference. The TEIN Flex gives a smooth ride and will allow you to set the ride height exactly where you'd like the car to sit. No compromising. We have these in stock if you're interested.

Regards,
-- Chris

My 1991 is a daily driver so going too low or too harsh was an issue, yet I wanted to reduce the height above the tires and firm up the suspension and create more precise steering. I went with Type R anti-sways, Zanardi spings (1/2" lower) and Bilsteins. I am very happy with the balanced results and the OEM approach (other then the Bilsteins of course).

I have the bilstein/eibach combo, although I do not have stock rims; here are pics with 17/18's:

_IGP0760.JPG

_IGP0779.JPG

And with 16/17's (OEM diameters):

P1030472.JPG

P1030594.JPG

thanks for the pics! I am mostly curious how much GAP is left between the fender and the top of the tire. I realize the aftermarket wheels are generally Larger in overall diameter and i wanted to see roughly what sort of gap as well as how low the car would sit as well, being there are always potholes and speedbumps to contend with.

I noticed you had pics of the OEM diameter, so that gave me a better idea. Do you happen to have any more pics closer up? of the gap? also how low does the car sit to the ground?

Also does the body kit you have installed on the car actually scrape more often due to your lowered suspension?

I have always been one to want to eliminate the GAP completely, however i am slightly concerned with the adverse affects this may cause. ie: faster worn out parts, including tires, scraping the front and undercarriage, etc. I was highly considering the H&R with bilsteins but not heard too many positive things regards to this combo due to its more extreme drop.

So I guess I am trying to weigh the benefits of losing the entire GAP between the fender and the tire without sacrificing too much on the current ride quality.

Much thanks!

scorp965 said:
I have the bilstein/eibach combo, although I do not have stock rims; here are pics with 17/18's:

_IGP0760.JPG

_IGP0779.JPG

And with 16/17's (OEM diameters):

P1030472.JPG

P1030594.JPG

This is very interesting, since i have not heard much of the Tein flex. Is this just the springs? or is this a coil over kit? Also may i ask how much difference in ride quality there is between this setup and stock? The ability to make so many adjustments especially on the fly is definately intriguing.

Do you have a price for this setup? If so please email me or PM me.

Thank you

Chris@SoS said:
Just a suggestion: Why not consider the TEIN Flex? When you add the springs + dampers, they is only a $200.00 difference. The TEIN Flex gives a smooth ride and will allow you to set the ride height exactly where you'd like the car to sit. No compromising. We have these in stock if you're interested.

Regards,
-- Chris

Edub said:
thanks for the pics! I am mostly curious how much GAP is left between the fender and the top of the tire. I realize the aftermarket wheels are generally Larger in overall diameter

But when properly fitted with corrrectly sized lower profile tires, the overall diameter of the tire is very close to stock.

Here are photos of my car from the side. It is lowered about an inch from stock and running Tein RA coilovers. Even on the Dragon during very spirited driving there was never any tire to fender contact. The shocks damping is excellent.

rightside02.jpg

rightside01.jpg

nsx69.jpg

Edub said:
I am looking to see if anyone has any closeup pics with the stock rims with

- bilsteins and H&R springs

or

- bilsteins and Eibach springs
This is with Bilsten on lower perch + Tein S Tech Springs. The the amount of drop is in between:

Bilstein on higher perch + Eibach Springs and Bilstein on higher perch + H&R springs

If you run Bilstein on lower perch + H&R springs, you are looking at near 2.5" drop front and rear.

11.jpg

8.jpg

Since ride quality is an issue, I do not recommend coilovers. All the coilover equipped cars I've ridden in have been way too harsh for me (for the street). However, this is just my opinion. You might really like the stiff ride on the street and the ability to adjust the ride height. I suggest riding in a car with coilovers to see if you can live with it.

You should let the admin move your thread in the DIY-section or Tires/Wheels-section. But anyway: Ride quality al little bit stiffer than stock? Eibach/Bilstein is softer than stock, they dimish steering response. Zanardi springs with revalved Bilsteins are a tade softer than stock but with much better cornering capabilites. :) I don't know about the TEIN so far. Have a look at the spring rates, the higher the harder the shock must be, the less comfortable the ride will be. If you get the shock rates you see it directly. If you like to go very far down, why not the H&R with Bilstein or Koni. Best way to check this out is to drive another car which has the setup you have in mind. :)

Hey Edub...
I just put on the Tein Flex system with the computer. I paid $1700 for the set up (including the computer) from our friend Davis Ahn at Status (Auto Design, look for him on our side here). I am crazy about the system. You get a tiny computer (I mounted mine in the glove box) and you can change the stiffness right there. At it's hardes setting it is wonderfully stiff, almost zero body roll and no dive or squat. Man does that feel something when you slam on the breaks and the car doesn't dump at all. At the sofest setting, the ride is firm, not jarring. It is harsher than stock, which I found kind of soft. I drive alot in NYC, so I have some if the most uneven pavement in the country. At the softest setting, it all is very acceptable to me. I lowered the car pretty aggressively, probably close to 2 inches. It is very easy to raise and lower the car, you merely have to remove a wheel. I need to be very careful not to scrap the front end (stock car except for wheels, 17/18 combo). I fear if you drive around SF, you may be in for a very bad time, however. I have been there and I can't imagine that you can even drive your stock NSX up those hills without scrapping! If you'd like pic's or would like more info, private message me...
Tom

hi kim

i heard a little about spacers, just wasnt sure what size or brand to purchase.

any suggestions what brand to purchase.

thanks

kreh said:
Bilsteins on Comptech Sport springs. With stock wheels, add 25 mm spacers to rear and 15 mm to front.

Just wondering what the NSX community thought about Zeal Coilovers. I've seen a few NSX cars having em, and when talking to the owners, they say it's one of the better coilover systems, but not widely talked about. I've been hearing that they are quite smooth for street driving but i wanted to confirm with those that are using it. :smile:

http://www.endlessusa.com/products/index.php?id=3

Thanks,

Nick

Edub said:
i heard a little about spacers, just wasnt sure what size or brand to purchase.

any suggestions what brand to purchase.
Eric,
I have to agree with Kim, he is running the perfect set up 15mm front/25mm rear.

H&R 25mm rear is plug and play, you do not need to remove the hub to install it. However the H&R 15mm front will require you to remove the hub and install a set of longer wheel studs.

The trouble free set up IMHO would be:
H&R 25mm for the rear
+
Dali 15mm front

The 15mm spacer above from Dali is also plug and play, does not require you to remove the wheel hub and install longer studs.

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=33 for people like me on a budget I recommend JIC's

If you have deep pockets then these

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/suspension_performance_products/NSX/Moton/ <----best that it can get as far as suspension goes.

or this is very good also http://www.jrzusa.net/products/

or this http://hksusa.com/products/?id=716

or you can go a spring and shock set up.......like teins and bilsteins.......good for the street and for looks.

Good luck I am sure you will be happy with any of those.

Last edited:
hi guys

UPDATE on my decision with suspension. I have decided to purchase the Eibach and Bilstein setup due to all the great advice here. I am also considering purchasing the H&R 25mm spacers for the front and the rear since i am running the 02' OEM wheels and not the stock 97-01 wheels. As much as i really want to only use 15mm spacers in the front, the 02 wheels do not have the necessary gap in the wheels to accomodate the 15mm spacers since the studs will hit the inside of the wheels. Those that own the 97 -01 wheels understand what i mean if they put spacers on the front. So i believe i only have one option since i dont want to replace my studs with longer ones, and that is to go 25mm in the front. So i dont believe the wheels stick out at all for the 02 wheels unlike the 97-01 wheels due to less flare of the spokes. I saw Romeos car and confirmed the 02' wheels are flush with the fender after the 25mm spacers, and it looks good at the higher perch setting, but I still have this desire to get rid of the fender/wheel GAP, but am a bit concerned since the only way to accomplish this is to lower the car more.

So my question is, has anyone set the Eibachs on the lowest Bilstein perch setting, with or without 25mm spacers all the way around, with 02 + OEM Wheels? I am curious to find out if there is any rubbing on the fender wells or rubbing anywhere at all at this lowest setting. Also how much scraping am I looking at for the front chin spoiler as well as under the car? I have seen this setup on the upper perch and it looks good, but i am curious if i can go lower with this setup with no or few issues ie: rubbing, scrapping, anything?

Anyone local in the SF bay area that can meet up so i can view this setup? I would be grateful.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I went with the CompTech Pro Suspension kit (koni dual adjustable shocks with Eibach springs). I changed out the 1000/600 in-lb springs for 600/400 in-lb springs. For me, this was a good compromise between street and track. IMO, the 1000/600 springs were too brutal for street driving.

nsx-lowered1.jpg

Back