Supercharged 97 vs stock 2000 Can't decide

I hope to be a new owner shortly and am in conflict about the power vs reliability dilema. Do I really need to fear that the supercharged motor and tranny's life will be shortened by the additional power, however tempting or is stock the safest and less adventurous route?

The opprotunity to buy either car at close to the same price about 2k apart with about the same very low mileage (30k) is a struggle in my mind.

I couldn't find discussions on the Comptech supercharger's long term reliability relating to the unit as well as the rest of the car. Lots of discussion about the reliability of the stock car. I will not be racing it and only favorable weather weekend use and occaisional trips.

What is the general opinion? Older and more powerful better than newer and stock? Bearing in mind that just the cost of the Supercharger kit is close to $10,000 not installed. Will I be kicking my self later if I don't get the supercharged car or regret that i did? Any thoughts?

Have you driven a stock one like the 2000 you're looking at? If you have and find the power to be more than adequate, then I would go that route. If after driving one you feel that you too will add a supercharger one day, then take a closer look at the SC one and see how the owner went about the install, maintenance, etc. and see if it makes sense for you. From what I've read a CTSC NSX done right usually doesn't have many issues, but keep browsing and reading in the FI section to see what you're up against.

This is actually a very personal decision we probably cannot help you with much.

I would think the 2000 would still be worth more than the 97 SC with similar mileage, but you are correct that SC costs for this car are quite high.

If you have never driven a stock NSX you will probably be satisfied with it power wise. However, the fact that you are seriously considering a FI car suggests you think a stock NSX might be lacking in the power department for your needs.

I think if you had the FI NSX thoroughly checked out-compression test, leak down test, make sure ALL fluids [transmission**] have been changed regularly, and you are fairly sure the PO hasn't abused the car, go for it. However, if you can't fathom replacing a major component a FI car is probably not for you. If you are willing to take a chance although it will be painful.. just depends on if the additional power is worth it to you against the increased odds of a major component failing.

Have you considered their long term values? If you plan on owning the car for a 5+ more years it might be the case that the SC car actually holds its value better than the stock 2000, as oddly as that sounds.

I have driven a 1991 and the 2000. Big difference between those cars alone in stock trim. The thought of more power than the 2000 is enticing. I have driven more powerful cars and it is pleasing to have the power available but it is true, you don't use it all the time.

I enjoy power, I don't fear financially having to fix it, the time and agony of dealing with it is not appealing. That is why a Ferrari is not appealing which is why I want an NSX. Reliability. How unreliable can the the SC car be? If marginally les reliable, then it may be worth it.

I do plan on keeping the car for the next 5+ maybe 10 or more years. I still own a 1992 MR2 turbo with 90k that I have owned for 14 years and it's a reliable as a sledge hammer. I want something more to replace the MR2. The NSX is the answer, I probably wouldn't of thought of the SC car if it wasn't available. I will drive it this weekend and am sure it will please me, just need the reliability issue straight in my head before I get wooed by the power.

How is it that the 1997 SC would be worth more in the future? Also, pardon my ignorance but what does F1 car mean?

FI means "Forced Induction" .. could be either supercharger or turbocharger.

if both were in similiar conditon and the price is within 2k and you drive both, you will buy the supercharged one. the 1997 model is mechanically the same as the 2000. the 2000 is three model years newer, however if miles and condition are the same and the 1997 has a comptech supercharger it is really not a choice.

the realiability of the comptech supercharger is impecable. Ive had one on my car for 5-6 years with absolutly no issues and others have over 100K miles with there comptech superchargers

I test drove a 1991 and decided right then and there that if I got one it had to have the CTSC. The previous owner of my 93 had the supercharger on for 60K of it's nearly 100K life. I was a little worried about the longevity too so I had a leakdown test and compression test done. The dealer told me that compression was 217 to 220 on all cylinders and the leakdown was less than 1% - pretty damn impressive. So I bought the car and have been happy ever since. The car currently has the low boost pulley and have the parts to go high boost (pulley, injectors, fuel pump, AEM, FPR, etc.) Hopefully I can get it all installed and tuned this winter.

Does the SC require an additional or special maintenance? I assume it lowers fuel range (mileage) due to more consumption, or if you stay off of it is it the same? Any service hassels at tune up time?

I really appreciate the response from owners of SC cars.

Anyone had a bad experience?

Maintenance-- the supercharger has it's own oil supply that should be changed every second oil change (this holds a very small amount of oil (less then half a quart)) not a maint issue, but an extra step.

Gas mileage... definately less, but not much less if you are doing freeway driving. I honestly never have checked (or cared) about gas mileage! so someone else will have to answer this.

no other tunefup issues, it is really just like having the stock nsx, except much more power

The initial fear I've always had about buying an FI car was how the previous owner/owners treated it and was it tuned properly by the installer. 30,000 miles is low unless it's 30,000 hard miles.

Well... I bought an 05 and it took so long to get to me that as I itched here, I went into the group buy for the Comptech supercharger. So before I had the car, I shelled out the cash for the CTSC. I got the car and man, I don't care what anyone says, it's fast. It may not reflect in the numbers, but it FEELS fast... and I was coming off of a Renntech-tuned Mercedes V12 and before that a monster Supra Turbo. I just loved the way the stock car was, and honestly, would have been happy. But I had bought this CTSC, and I put it on. And man what a difference. Now I just went from great car to supercar. I don't even utilize all the power in the CTSC. The biggest rush I get is the extra torque... merging on the highway I lay into it only halfway and the torque just pushes the ass end down and the car shoots forward. And then there is that mechanical whine that I really like. It's not there at all during normal driving, only when you lay into it... it's like this big guy back there saying "I got your back brother, lets go". :biggrin:

Now I have driven several NA's, and I am not sure I can ever go back. It's like choosing between a V6 NSX and a high reving V8 NSX. That's what the CTSC specificaly feels like. My car with the supercharger and a full GT-One exhaust put down an additional 113 HP on the same dyno. It transformed the car from Mr. cool and precise to Mr. get-out-of-my-way or I will kick your F'in ass. hehe

Really it's a personal decision, I am just telling you how much I love my CTSC. And for a FI system, it is probably the most reliable. There isn't much "tuning" needed for the system, it's a bolt-on unless you are going high boost with an aftermarket engine management system like the AEM. It passes smog and is 50 state legal (the only one that is).

A 1997 is very similar to a 2000. If the cars are in the same condition and all else is the same, I would lean towards the CTSC car. If you decide to sell the car, you can get a minimum of 6K for the CTSC system and you swap parts with the buyer and put the 97 back to stock. It is not a huge ordeal.

A 1997 is very similar to a 2000. If the cars are in the same condition and all else is the same, I would lean towards the CTSC car. If you decide to sell the car, you can get a minimum of 6K for the CTSC system and you swap parts with the buyer and put the 97 back to stock. It is not a huge ordeal.[/QUOTE]

+1
I agree, I just bought a stock '97 and have been looking at the market for 6 months and if I could buy a '97 with CTSC, I would totally jump on it. As long as all the maintenance history is up to date.

As many have already stated, in terms of mechanics and horsepower, the 97s are in parallel with 2000s. Maybe, it will be more relevant to petition a CTSC NA1 vs. a stock NA2.

Do yourself a favor if you are serious about the 97 CTSC and get a leakdown/compression test first. It is well worth it. It could save you a LOT of money in the long run.

The accelleration on my NSX with the CTSC makes my wife physically ill. She equates it to g-force in a lab test. I love it - does that help you?

Well I drove the CTSC 97! What a blast! Got a little squirly when the tires were cold when things kicked in at 1/2 throttle. Otherwise very streetable, scary when you really open it up, but extraordinary fun. Can't really hear the VTEC kick in at 5800 RPM so the sound is different, hear the whine from the CTSC at about 2500 up when you accelerate though. This car has a high flow exhaut that is pretty quiet, unlike the Taitec GT-006 of the 2000, which resonated between 2000 and 2500 RPM and then growled. So the CTSC definitely works well and really transforms the car into something special. I did notice a little hesitation initially at higher revs when I first drove it but it seamed to go away after I drove it a little later. I asked the owner to put in the targa cover he had removed so the engine could be visible, and after we did that and hooked up a wire that was attached to the cover and I drove it again the hesitation was gone. Either the wire has something to do with the high rev hesitation or after a little time the cob webbs were shaken out or it warmed up some more. It was pretty chilly today. Either way it will be checked out by a NSX acura mechanic this weak with a leak down and compression check as recommended.

Has anyone experienced this kind of hesitation on a CTSC car?

Also there is a little buzz coming out of the passenger area, maybe glove box and only when reving up to speed. Any ideas?

Wind noise became a problem at 110MPH. A whistle on cue every time you hit 110 and only on the passenger side, I only got it to 120 max but it persisted at those speeds. Below that speed noise level was ok. Could this be a window adjustment issue? Driver side was ok.

The rest of the car is pretty near perfect, never painted, tinest of chips on the nose and other places. Great condition for a car with 32,500 mi. Everything works. May be able to get it in the mid $40k range. The only thing the owner did wrong was put ArmorAll all over the interior just before I got there to "clean it up", I hate that stuff, it smells, is slippery and produces an obnoxious shine and doesn't really protect anything. Hopefully it will wear off and not do any damage. The owner is relly a nice guy and he did this with the best of intentions. The car is parked in a garage with the cover on...

I hope to close this deal if all mechanicals check out. I hope they check out favorably as the car is great. Will update as thing develop. Any feedback on the issues I observed would be a great help.

Thanks

Tytus,

The hesitation was most likely normal. You have to let the NSX warm up before you go into the higher RPMs... especially with the CTSC, and especially when the air is cooler.

The wind noise from the passenger window is consistent with a window alignment. But I have yet to hear of anyone who can get it right.

The Armorall with eventually dissipate. (I hate that shit, too.)

Here is a list of some of the changes between the 1997 and the 2000...
- The throttle computer was changed.
- The seats, door insets, shift knob, and steering wheel get perforated leather.
- Improved anti-lock brake system (ABS) (computer software change).
- Improved manual transmission shifting.
- Added onboard fueling vapor recovery system.
- Engine meets Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standard.
- No scheduled tuneups for 100,000 miles.

Good luck!

The hesitation was most likely normal. You have to let the NSX warm up before you go into the higher RPMs... especially with the CTSC, and especially when the air is cooler. I was hoping that was the case and not some potential problem, although I did read some comments about rev limiting possibilities but none of it sounded serious.

The wind noise from the passenger window is consistent with a window alignment. But I have yet to hear of anyone who can get it right. I read some comments about possible fixes by massaging and reinstalling the rubber seals around the window to make it puffy. Sounds easy and identified as the same problem in the 110 MPH range

The Armorall with eventually dissipate. (I hate that shit, too.) good to hear

Here is a list of some of the changes between the 1997 and the 2000...
- The throttle computer was changed.
- The seats, door insets, shift knob, and steering wheel get perforated leather. This one I wish I had
- Improved anti-lock brake system (ABS) (computer software change).
- Improved manual transmission shifting.
- Added onboard fueling vapor recovery system.
- Engine meets Low Emission Vehicle (LEV) standard.
- No scheduled tuneups for 100,000 miles. How did they do that? It appears that the car is basically the same and they decided that more frequent tuneups are not required? Or did they change the composition of the materials or components to allow a longer interval? I might suspect it is marketing.

Thanks for pointing out the other subtle differences between the cars. The other improvements you mention I couldn't notice between driving the two cars. I did notice the little difference of the 97's CTSC and it is hard to put that memory out of my mind. The 2000 with the Taitec exhaust made a prettier sound but not a better motion. The price for both cars is about the same and the original paint condition of the 97 is better than the repeatedly cosmetically repainted 2000. The 2000 has Enkei rims and larger tires but the 1997's chromed stock wheels were very sharp and the car has eibach slightly lowered springs.

Obviously I am leening toward the '97 if all goes well.

Supercharger all the way. Comptech has been around for a long time and you are more than happy to help you with any problems you made have in the future. 07 and 00 are the same motor it's a steal if you are payin 2k more.

That's $10K for the kit laid in your hand! + labor. We have 30k miles on our CTSC 2000 with basically 0 additional cost due to SC. Absolutely minimal additional maintenance and it is still an E-ticket ride to put your foot down!!:biggrin: However, it can be other than an E -ticket if you are not careful!!:biggrin: If history of SC install (CTSC?) and overall maintenance + good PPI report looks good - grab it and don't look back!! (however, watch the overpasses ahead!:wink:

Get the 97 with the SC on it! You're going to kick yourself if you buy the 00 and then decide later to add a $10,000 S/C........

Back