Sunday Morning Drive-Napa Backroads

Hey folks,

I guess its time to announce the August 10th Sunday Morning Drive. This will be a back roads tour of Solano and Napa counties that will start in Martinez and head up to Lake Beryessa. Some really fun roads. We will make our first stop at the dam that holds back the lake. Then we head nortwest up Chiles Valley to the Pope Valley intersection where we climb up Howell Mtn and into the small community of Angwin. Some of the finest cabernet in Napa grows on this mountain. Next it is down the hill into Napa Valley with some awesome views of the wineries down below us as we descend to the Silverado trail. We will head south on the Silverado trail to Monticello road where we will head east to Wooden Valley Rd that will take us back to Fairfield. Then south where we will finish at the Scenic view point just before the Carquinez bridge.
I took the opportunity this morning to drive the route to check for fun things like newly sealed roads, pot holes etc and found a great combination of back roads that will make getting up in the morning well worthwhile. There is a mixture of curves and open highway that will let you open it up and work your brakes as well as bliping the rpm's on the downshifts. The trip is about 125 miles total and will have a few stops depending on who goes and what we decide we would like to do. The traffic is fairly light in the morning so an early start will have us share the roads with the biking crowd. If we leave later we end up dealing with the boat trailers (The bikers are much easier to get around). I would like to meet at the Starbucks in the Muir Station at 502 Center Ave, 1 block So. of Hwy.4 in Martinez. The big question is how early do you want to meet? If you are interested, let me know if meeting at 7:00 and on the road by 7:30am is too drastic. Remember those boat trailers !!:eek: Hope to see you in Martinez.

Cheers,

Thats My backyard...

I drive that route about 3 times a month, going up to the lake and on into Angwin then back to Fairfield. You could, instead of heading up towards Angwin, go up Butts canyon and into Middletown then down towards Calistoga.
Nice and twistie before Calistoga. Then get on Silverado trail heading south.

any maps for these backroads?

Does anyone have "maps" for this route? I might miss the 10th, but might be up for driving it sometime the following week (before Concorso Italiano / Monterey Historics).

Sounds like fun!

How far is the starting point from SF. I really want to be able to go on the drive, but the logistics for me to get there from Fisherman's Wharf at 7:00 may be a problem. I have no idea where any of the places are that you mentioned!

I know that you made this gtg in consideration with my being in town, and really want to get a chance to meet some fellow NSXer's, is it more convienent for me to meet up with you at the final destination point.

I'm open to any suggestion.

Thnaks a lot.

-Rob

Cojones, I wil get a map together and send you the route. Are you going to be in the Corral? If so, I'll see you there.
Doc, Martinez is probably 25-30 min. from the wharf, especially if we meet at the planned time. Traffic will be really light. If you take the bay bridge east and get on 24 through the tunnel and over to 680 North, it should be easy. The other way is to go over the bay bridge and take 80 north till it intersects 4. Go east on 4 and exit on center st. in martinez. Would be fun to have you along. I was waiting to see if the SF folks put something together for you but I hadn't seen anything definate. If the SF folks would like to meet in Martinez, I guarantee that you will cover some scenic and fun stretches of hiway. Check out the attached map and if your interested, I can send you detailed directions.

Cheers,

Doc Lane,

Just take 80 East (head towards Berkeley, Richmond) 20-25 minutes from SF. I can gather a small group to meet you @ the Hi-way 4 Exit. Then we can Caravan towards Martinez, again welcome to the SF Bay area.:cool:

OK folks. The maps are in the car and those of you that are at the Martinez Starbucks on Center st tomorrow morning will have a copy of the route. See you then.
Spartan 2-3, Hope to see you in the morning. I may shoot over to Crissy Field or down to HMB if timing works out. I haven't had a chance to drive the car since I checked out this route so I am ready for a full day if things work out.
Anyway it's time to get some sleep. See you all in the morning

Cheers,

Back