Suede interior

I am planning on doing my interior but haven't made up my mind yet which direction to go. Although based on these photos, I really like the suede dash. Aside from it looking unique, are there any benefits to a suede interior versus redoing the interior with newer leather?

I am planning on doing my interior but haven't made up my mind yet which direction to go. Although based on these photos, I really like the suede dash. Aside from it looking unique, are there any benefits to a suede interior versus redoing the interior with newer leather?

It's based on personal preference
and
Your wallet

It is ultimately based on your personal preference.

I think the NSX, although timeless design, does have a few details that show the age. The early production OEM wheels are some of the most notable. The interior would be another. The graining on the leather can be a give a way to the age. I have seen interiors redone in both suede and a more tight grain leather. They both look very nice. More of an "updated look". if that is what you are looking for.

Here some updated pictures of the progress. It should be ready by next week for me to put it away for the winter :frown:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 369
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 658
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 422
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 465
Looks great Peter!

Where are you getting this done?

His name is Dave. He has private shop near Keele @ Sheppard that he work on @ night only since he has a full time job during the day. I think he is really awesome. Very surprise with the amount of details he put into everything...

I am very happy with it.:biggrin:

WOW!!!! It'll be worth the wait!!!!!!!!!!!! At lease you can sit in the car during the winter :biggrin: (I kno I would...lol)

Did you buy the suede and have him do it for u or did he pick the stuff up himself?

His name is Dave. He has private shop near Keele @ Sheppard that he work on @ night only since he has a full time job during the day. I think he is really awesome. Very surprise with the amount of details he put into everything...

I am very happy with it.:biggrin:

PM sent. :D

Guys, not at all to rain on your parade as I love suede as much as the next guy but I really think those full suede interiors are TOO MUCH!

I know suede is used in exotics, etc but too much of ANYTHING is bad and I really think some of those posted above remind me of those low-rider cars with all suede/fabric/fluffy stuff interiors....

Probably the minority on this one but this is just my opinion from those photos above and seeing it in other cars. Exotics can pull it off since they use other exotic materials (aluminum, CF) to contrast it. If you just do a full suede interior with no contrast just plan on keeping the car since it will be hard to sell later.

Besides fade issues, it's gonna be a PITA to dust if you are like me and like top off driving. Also wear is a huge problem over time as suede is not that durable. Just ask all those e46 m3 comp. owners who have suede steering wheels ~ they all loved it at first but now they all wish they had leather wheels! Suede looks good new but once it shows wear, it's unsightly and beat up looking....

If it was up to me, I would do just the seats or maybe the dash / center console only.

Guys, not at all to rain on your parade as I love suede as much as the next guy but I really think those full suede interiors are TOO MUCH!

I know suede is used in exotics, etc but too much of ANYTHING is bad and I really think some of those posted above remind me of those low-rider cars with all suede/fabric/fluffy stuff interiors....

Probably the minority on this one but this is just my opinion from those photos above and seeing it in other cars. Exotics can pull it off since they use other exotic materials (aluminum, CF) to contrast it. If you just do a full suede interior with no contrast just plan on keeping the car since it will be hard to sell later.

Besides fade issues, it's gonna be a PITA to dust if you are like me and like top off driving. Also wear is a huge problem over time as suede is not that durable. Just ask all those e46 m3 comp. owners who have suede steering wheels ~ they all loved it at first but now they all wish they had leather wheels! Suede looks good new but once it shows wear, it's unsightly and beat up looking....

If it was up to me, I would do just the seats or maybe the dash / center console only.

I couldn't agreed with you more on that. Therefore I only did the dash,roof & the 2 A-pillar as well as a small B-pillar. I left the door panel, centre console as well as the back as is. Thanks for the comment.

Peter

Looks like you better keep a mini vac in there.....Looks very nice. Also keep out the food stuff!!!! Final project should look great, what seats are you useing?:cool:

Looks like you better keep a mini vac in there.....Looks very nice. Also keep out the food stuff!!!! Final project should look great, what seats are you useing?:cool:

I am very anal about my car. no one or even my wife is allow to drink or eat anything. Lucky my cousin owns a professional detail shop so i'll b well taken care of. I have on the driver side carbon fibre low max adjustable racing seat, but unfortunately the passenger side is still stock. My wife say there no way she can get in or out of the car with that seat especially when is is in her mini skirt& heels.:redface:

Thanks for the compliment.

Peter

Exotics can pull it off since they use other exotic materials (aluminum, CF) to contrast it. If you just do a full suede interior with no contrast just plan on keeping the car since it will be hard to sell later.

Hmm...last I checked, Peter's car is made of aluminum and has plenty of CF to contrast it in the interior. I don't think he has to worry about selling it since he's the original owner and has had this car (and has been slowly modding it) throughout its lifespan.

Thanks for the info Peter, I think I just might go ahead with some suede enhancements to go with rice mods ;)

WHAT?!?!?! The very 1st picture posted here has the nicest interior EVER...the dash, a piece of the center and doors and thats it. It's not too much at all IMO!

Also, suede will fade in the direct sunlight (after years) but cleaning it is super easy! You can run a lint roller over it and have it cleaned in seconds. For the hard to reach places use a piece of tape. EASY. Also people think you cant wet it and you can...I have used soapy water to clean my cars interior (stock seats, front and back. Also my RED jDm Recaro's a RED CDM rear seats) and have had them for 6 years...look NEW. You just have to know how to do it and not rub them hard. I plan on doing my dash on my nsx...I fell in love with that 1st pic :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure these were all done by KANE (Ravi) at umbrelladesigns. He is seriously one of my heros. His personal taste, the fit and finish, and all of his cars come out impeccable. I can't wait for his most recent SuperGt widebody to be finished. Check out these interiors!!

F1-4.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

DSCN1264.jpg

F1-5-2.jpg

F1-6-1.jpg

F1-10.jpg

F1-7.jpg

F1-8.jpg

F1-9.jpg

WOW!:eek: That is beautiful!

it is completed:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC01175.JPE
    DSC01175.JPE
    29 KB · Views: 403
  • DSC01176.jpg
    DSC01176.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 290
  • DSC01177.jpg
    DSC01177.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC01178.jpg
    DSC01178.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 373
  • DSC01179.jpg
    DSC01179.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 366
  • DSC01181.jpg
    DSC01181.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 369
Very nice Peter!

Where did you get the centre console? I have the same sort of thing but with my Alpine HU I can't flip up the ashtray anymore. I'm going to remove it this spring and place a CF panel in there with 2 cutouts for my aem gauges.

I bought it from on of the fellow nsxprime member in Cali. But the fit was not very good. Dave had to take alot of time to retro fit it onto the oem console. Many ashtray cover do work , but doesn't open smoothly, acceptable.
Give him a call

Very nice Peter!

Where did you get the centre console? I have the same sort of thing but with my Alpine HU I can't flip up the ashtray anymore. I'm going to remove it this spring and place a CF panel in there with 2 cutouts for my aem gauges.

I decided not to do the door since I thought it would wear out alot fasher with my elbow on and off it all the time plus my two dogs like to lean on the door panel and sneeze on it. I also did do the roof as well. I paid around $4,500 for the job.(roof,dash,A&B pillar) you will love it after u do it. just have to buy a sun screen cover for the front wind sheild and a lint roller.:biggrin:

Did you also do your doors? and how about the roof? how much $ was just the labor? Plan on doing this soon my self...

Back