• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Stoptech brakepad recommendations

I just bought a set of front and rear stoptech bbk, and was curious what brakepads people like with this set up for mostly track/some street duty (driving to and from track,once a week to work). Also, on my oem setup i typically had more agressive front pads then rear, is this something i should keep doing once i install the bbk, or should i get matching compounds now?

I was going to try out the stock pads it comes with at my next track day, but don't know too much about them and if they are up to the task of hard track driving...any input on these or other recommended pads please let me know,thanks!

some guys like the performance friction 01 compound I use the ferodo 2500,but would like to try the pfc-1 however it is 18mm thick while my ferrodo are 15 mm..and may drag...I have the brenbos up front.In back I use xp-8 but xp-10 can be used depending on your particular balance.

I have stoptechs all around and use the stock pads. Ive done 3 track days on them and they have held up great. Zero fade. Id atleast try them and see if they hold up. What tires are you running?

are the stock pads = stoptech pads?? I bought a set of them over ebay for my stock unmodified 92 miata and I felt it being worse than the oem mazda pads. It may feel ok as the stoptech bbk is really quite a good package but I would recommend the carbotech products as I'm very pleased with the xp10 i have with mine.

PFC should give you better modulation, and that's what i would try next. hope this help.

I have Porterfield r4s Pads front and rear on my stoptechs (not the NSX) I've been using this compound for years and all my cars and I'm very happy with the street/track/noise/dust performance.

thanks for the input..I am currently on Yokohama Ad08s. They have about 7 track days on them, and when they are done I plan on switching to Nt01s.

I have stoptechs all around and use the stock pads. Ive done 3 track days on them and they have held up great. Zero fade. Id atleast try them and see if they hold up. What tires are you running?

Im sure you have more experience then i do so i may be wrong, but i think for 25 min sessions the will hold up fine. Do you have air deflectors or anything to help with cooling?

thanks for the input..I am currently on Yokohama Ad08s. They have about 7 track days on them, and when they are done I plan on switching to Nt01s.

be careful with those nto1..they run wide and at 235 front will chew your liner and spit it it out...the 235 ra1 runs narrower and has worn down the liner at the fender edge but not destroyed it.

be careful with those nto1..they run wide and at 235 front will chew your liner and spit it it out...the 235 ra1 runs narrower and has worn down the liner at the fender edge but not destroyed it.

Thanks for the input, I was actually planning on posting a separate thread about this when it got closer for me to buy new tires, but since you brought it up maybe you can help ;);

I am currently running ad08s (215/40/17 and 265/35/18), and am dropped a few inches (optimum settings for kwv3s,I believe 4-4.5ish from the ground). I definitely don't want to rub with my next setup,nor do I want to take off my liners, but do want "r compouind" tires that I can drive to and from the track, as I don't really street drive my car other then on track days and the occasional drive to/from work...would Ra1s be what you recommend? or do you know of any others (r888s,etc..) that could work without rubbing issues?...Or what about the narrower Nt01 sizes?

thanks in advance!

R888's are just a TINY bit narrower than NT01, I have a set of front takeoffs and NT01's at home in the attic and can measure shoulder to shoulder, I remember seeing the info somewhere around the forums though. I would not go with r888's if you do street driving once a week, they tend to heat cycle out rather quickly and basically turn to cardboard on the track. I think i'd said it before but my votes would be cast for 615rtk and Rs3's, both are near R compound and true to the sidewall sizing they say.

R888's are just a TINY bit narrower than NT01, I have a set of front takeoffs and NT01's at home in the attic and can measure shoulder to shoulder, I remember seeing the info somewhere around the forums though. I would not go with r888's if you do street driving once a week, they tend to heat cycle out rather quickly and basically turn to cardboard on the track. I think i'd said it before but my votes would be cast for 615rtk and Rs3's, both are near R compound and true to the sidewall sizing they say.

would easy driving on the street heat cycle the r888s? I thought they had to be driven fairly aggressive to count as a "heat cycle"?

As for the Nt01s, what if I went with narrower sizes such as 215/45-17,225/45-17, or 205/40-17? any input on those? (i don't even know if those sizes work with NSX overall diameter, I just copied that from their listed tire sizes)

the only front size nto1 that will work is the 205..those 45 series are too tall..the 235 would be the tire but I'm not interested in destroying my fender liner..so if I were you and what I'm going to do is stick with my Ra1 in 235 and 275 17's. If I were really doing more track events then I might think about carrying in the car a set of front hoosier 225/40 R6's to swap at the track with rear 275 nto1's ....

Im not sure 'heat cycle' is accurate terminology but R888 get stale pretty quick, in the 2 sets i've had about id ballpark optimal life is about 1/3 that of the Nt01. Nt01 can be run straight down to the cords, the R888 grip level falls off dramatically one you get near the wear bars. Maybe the staleness and the fading grip level with wear are one in the same thing, i've never dailied a set for long. When I had them I would drive to the track and home on them 2-3 times a month about 200miles of freeway driving each time and they were pretty beat after a month and a half. I do the same with Nt01 and it seems they hold up to storage/freeway/track duty better all around.

Rs3 and azenis 615rtk hold up about 3x longer than the Nt01. What I started to do when I'd be driving over a couple hundred miles would be to put a spare set of wheels on the rear with normal street tires and leave the R comps on the front. The other R comps and rims would ride with me in the cabin (removed passenger seat) and be swapped on at the track. You can fit 2 18x10 wheels with tires in the cabin upright with a mini cooler wedged between them and the dash and a bungie cord holding them to the harness bar or seat bracket holes. The front R's wear very evenly on freeway driving because of the light weight (I also have 0 toe). R's are definitely a trade off .

Back