STi

Just drove a friend's 06 STi..... been in it plenty of times, but driving it was a big surprise.

that car is absolutely amazing.
lightest clutch i have ever felt
awesome steering response
excellent torque (i think that's what surprised me the most)
handles amazingly (esp powering out of corners) - stable as hell.
AWD is the only way to go.
easy to drive

it got to 155mph easily with 4 people in the car (on a track, ofc :rolleyes: ).... i'm pretty damn sure it's significantly faster to that speed than the nsx (he's got an HKS exhaust and has flashed the ecu to 330hp, but still...)

the only thing i have to say is that i'm kind of disappointed in my nsx. i know it's an old car, but i bet the STi would blow my car out of the water. some things to note tho:
nsx steering has much more feedback
shifter feels 100x better, and you can tell what gear you're in (in the nsx)

that being said... the STi feels a bit like a "toy" - like you're playing a video game. but i don't care - it is still outstanding.
time to start saving for my evo. (i like evo better than STi) :smile:

anybody here driven the STi? i know our cars are supposed to be pretty close in terms of acceleration.... is it just the long gears that take away from the fun? is that why i'm seeing such a huge difference in the STi?? is that why everybody LOVES the short gears???

i'm just hoping the R suspension i'm saving up for right now can live up to the hype :wink:
and if the trans gearing has anything to do with the STi being more fun to drive (in some regards), i will be getting a 6 speed or the shorties in the near future as well.

I pulled one in my NSX but it wasn't a cake walk by any means. Pretty even up to about 100 mph and then I started to pull away. My car is a supercharged NA1 with 295 rwhp (low boost, everything else stock including exhaust) A non supercharged NSX would get walked for sure.

I kept up with my friends 380whp STi within a 5-6 car length distance from 60-140mph. Butt dynos are very very deceptive, the car may feel alot faster but it isn't necessary that much faster. Its the nature of the instant tq hit of a boosted car that you don't get with a linear power delivery of a n/a engine.

I just watched this vid yesterday and it has two Sti in it @ the track. Nice vid as the EVO didn't even seem to make ground against them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BFk0gtuALE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ7CYOB09eY

I've always wondered why you see more Evo's than STis @ the track as they seem comparable. According to Edmunds it's two hundred pounds heavier than a NA1 NSX ,but has 80 more pound feet of torque so it should feel faster and like it's pulling harder not to mention your friends is modded :biggrin:

I think that my Twin Turbo Z would take it on the straight away in the long run, but I'll lose on the cornering. I think my Z would definitely take my NSX on the straight too, but again lose on the cornering. However, I still love my NSX much better. Can't beat the body lines on the car and all the attention it still gets after 14 years. I can sac. the speed for handling and the smoother ride.

Speaking of the STi's and Evo's, after 14+ years I would hope with technology they would be able to build cars that surpass the NSX in speed and handling.

I still dislike the body lines of both Sti/Evo. Looks too much of a boxy passenger car.

I own a 2007 satin white sti, and it is a fun car. A nice daily driver, but the gas mileage isn't that great. The mods are not too expensive with 2grand getting you around 330awhp and 340 awt. The toy idea is exactly what it is like. The driving experience is more fun in the nsx though because you can half way drive the sti, and the nsx wants all your attention while driving.

I've had plenty of STI's as demo's for work and I love them. Very fun cars and I'm a big fan of them. I've had one or two seriously modded ones that would have thrown my NSX a serious beating. The only problem I have is they look a little too immature for me.

The STI's are some of the best bang for buck performance cars out there. Same goes for the EVO. My observation from both was that in stock form they are quick in the short run but then they suddenly lose their pep during higher speeds. I have been able to pull a stock STI and Evo on the highway before as well as out launch a stock STI from a standstill. However theres no doubt that it takes far less money to modify both of them to make them faster then our cars however I think we have at least styling and better gearing that gives us better top speed as well as better aerodynamics then those cars. And I do agree with The Kid that these cars are somewhat "Toyish" looking. I saw a man who looked like he was in his 40's step out of a bright yellow Evo one day and what I felt was a combination of respect, admiration and surprize. I guess it showed that he still had a kid inside of him.

Just drove a friend's 06 STi..... been in it plenty of times, but driving it was a big surprise.

that car is absolutely amazing.
lightest clutch i have ever felt
awesome steering response
excellent torque (i think that's what surprised me the most)
handles amazingly (esp powering out of corners) - stable as hell.
AWD is the only way to go.
easy to drive

it got to 155mph easily with 4 people in the car (on a track, ofc :rolleyes: ).... i'm pretty damn sure it's significantly faster to that speed than the nsx (he's got an HKS exhaust and has flashed the ecu to 330hp, but still...)

the only thing i have to say is that i'm kind of disappointed in my nsx. i know it's an old car, but i bet the STi would blow my car out of the water. some things to note tho:
nsx steering has much more feedback
shifter feels 100x better, and you can tell what gear you're in (in the nsx)

that being said... the STi feels a bit like a "toy" - like you're playing a video game. but i don't care - it is still outstanding.
time to start saving for my evo. (i like evo better than STi) :smile:

anybody here driven the STi? i know our cars are supposed to be pretty close in terms of acceleration.... is it just the long gears that take away from the fun? is that why i'm seeing such a huge difference in the STi?? is that why everybody LOVES the short gears???

i'm just hoping the R suspension i'm saving up for right now can live up to the hype :wink:
and if the trans gearing has anything to do with the STi being more fun to drive (in some regards), i will be getting a 6 speed or the shorties in the near future as well.
Well try a turbo in the nsx, see what you think afterwards.
:biggrin:

Well try a turbo in the nsx, see what you think afterwards.
:biggrin:

yeah, i just wish i were rich :rolleyes: turbo set up is not cheap. but i bet it is straight up scary fast.

but that all wheel grip is realllly nice on the STi too tho.

as far as the evo vs sti - everywhere you read, if you compare the evo to the sti (before they cheated it to 2.5L, at least), the evo blows it away ESP on the track (i think it was 1.3s faster around the top gear track...). it's just a more intelligent AWD system. AND the evo has a LOT of potential for additional hp.

Love the STi...but I was able to stay ahead of what I'm assuming was a stock '06 (07) STi on numerous challenges from 40 and above to around 120. Not bad for an N/A '91 with some basic mods.

Oh, and my car looks better. lol If I had any sort of FI, he'd be long gone.

Love the STi...but I was able to stay ahead of what I'm assuming was a stock '06 (07) STi on numerous challenges from 40 and above to around 120. Not bad for an N/A '91 with some basic mods.

Oh, and my car looks better. lol If I had any sort of FI, he'd be long gone.

true.... if you had FI he'd be toast- esp with 14.5psi (stock STi boost):redface:

Thats why I think Ive grown out of them:frown:

Same thing for the S2000.

It's got a 2-seat boy racer look.

My FD is starting to have that young buck-mobile persona, hence why the NSX is replacing it.

I know a few milionaire gals that did well in the dot com days.

They said that without even knowing much about cars, the NSX looks more mature and that "I have arrived."

The FD, S2K., MKIV has that "pre-IPO" look to it.

The STI's are some of the best bang for buck performance cars out there. Same goes for the EVO. My observation from both was that in stock form they are quick in the short run but then they suddenly lose their pep during higher speeds. I have been able to pull a stock STI and Evo on the highway before as well as out launch a stock STI from a standstill. However theres no doubt that it takes far less money to modify both of them to make them faster then our cars however I think we have at least styling and better gearing that gives us better top speed as well as better aerodynamics then those cars. And I do agree with The Kid that these cars are somewhat "Toyish" looking. I saw a man who looked like he was in his 40's step out of a bright yellow Evo one day and what I felt was a combination of respect, admiration and surprize. I guess it showed that he still had a kid inside of him.

Anything that comes from the factory turbo'd already has a foundation for cheap HP increases compared to a NA car like the NSX, or most anything with a high compression ratio.

I've seen a few guys in their 40's get outta cars like the STi/EVO and a few other and it looks like they "borrowed" their son's car...

The stock turbo really hurts the sti. No top end power at all. They can dyno around 220-230hp stock. The top mount intercooler gets heat soaked easily. Also, because of the placement of the turbo, switching to the front mount intercooler requires lots of piping which creates turbo lag.

I do love the prestige of the car. To own one is to understand why it looks the way it does. I prefer the looks of the sti and the interior over the evo, but hands down the evo is still the better engineered. Not to mention the evo makes power a whole lot easier, and cheaper than the sti.

STi's are great performance cars. I know what you mean about the the torque and seemingly constantly shifting nature of the tranmission. To be honest it just doesn't fit me very well, but I have great respect for the STI and evo's performance characteristics.

I don't enjoy awd cars the same way I do RWD cars. I like to "balance" a car through corners whereas an awd car always seems to be pushed and pulled through a corner. However, once you start getting above 350..450..etc. horsepower the awd actually becomes the more balanced machine while the RWD cars begin to start being pushed and pulled through the corners, at least with moderately stock suspension/street tires/etc.

true.... if you had FI he'd be toast- esp with 14.5psi (stock STi boost):redface:

Umm... Driver had 2 other people with him and from 40 to ... it wasn't even a challenge for my 92. I/H/E w. 4.23. I mean, it was 3x he tried and each time after about 60or70 the NSX was pulling WAYYYYYYYY ahead. Maybe he had too much weight. But my friend who just got an 07 will be trying to see at the track if it is true what I am saying. Scheduled to see if the outcome is the same. My friends suped up WRX feels faster than the nsx, but its not. I have walked all over him on numerous occasions.

Back