Started to overheat at track!!

Thanks for the great reply! I am going to bleed the stock system and add water wetter and see if that improves anything on track.

Thanks
Blaine

Another cheap thing you can do is to add the Spoon or some other aftermarket radiator cap that is 1.3 bar. More pressure equals higher boiling point. It's only $30.

Oh, and if your car starts to run hot on the track - turn the heat on full while you back off for a lap or two - acts as another radiator so to speak to pull heat out.

Last edited:
How is it that on my 05 I am running a supercharger and neither at Watkins nor at NHMS has my needle ever gone above anything normal. I mean my car is running very cool. Ambient air temp has been in the low 80's. I have a Type R hood. Is just this enough? I mean I would think running 100 HP more than a stock motor would add to any heating issues.

How is it that on my 05 I am running a supercharger and neither at Watkins nor at NHMS has my needle ever gone above anything normal. I mean my car is running very cool. Ambient air temp has been in the low 80's. I have a Type R hood. Is just this enough? I mean I would think running 100 HP more than a stock motor would add to any heating issues.

You drive like a girl. :biggrin:

There is a big difference between low 80s and 100F OAT. You can see it in water temps, oil temps, brake rotor temps, tire wear, etc.

I used to overheat quite a bit at the track esp. during the summers. Nothing approaching red but more than I expected. Changing out the radiators to the Ron Davis cured it and I never had an issue after that.

However, the real culprit (outside of the 110 degree heat) was the radiator fins being as crooked as a dirty politician. They effectively block air and diminish the rads effectivness.

You may want to confirm the condition of your rad and then implement the Water Wetter and other fixes before you drop dime on a new radiator (Ron Davis, Driving Ambition, SOS). That said, there's something to be said about never having to worry about overheating w/ the addition of a big ole radiator.

On the ebay radiator purchase....

About two weeks ago i too was having colling issues and sought to purchase an Mitsu aluminun radiator. I found a great deal online with a delivered cost of $400.

Since I don't track the car I elected to buy an OEM version online, and saved another $20. Been happy ever since.

Note: Do check the condition of the radiator fins. not having them straight makes a significant difference in cooling power

The radiator fins do indeed make a difference. Blow some air to clean any debris between them.

But trying to straighten the OEM radiator fins is a real pain and in the process, you will break a few ..... been there and done that, and it was quite time consuming; not sure if it is worth the time/effort. YMMV

However, the real culprit (outside of the 110 degree heat) was the radiator fins being as crooked as a dirty politician. They effectively block air and diminish the rads effectivness.

During the last coolant flush I took the radiator out and soaked the fins in some cleaning stuff, cleaned them with a toothbrush. They looked pretty good afterwards, not as new but much better than before. And of course, all of them have been put straight.

But trying to straighten the OEM radiator fins is a real pain and in the process, you will break a few ..... been there and done that, and it was quite time consuming; not sure if it is worth the time/effort. YMMV

If you can straighten 80-90 % this will make a difference. Indeed, there are some areas where putting them straight would cause more defects. You won't get it back to new condition but much better than used to 10+ years. :)

Last edited:
hook'up...

Not to start up a debate here but you track guys should consider Evans NGP+ coolant. It worked wonders on my boosted MR2. The lifespan is probably 4/5 times of the Honda coolant. Just my .02.
If I can find a jug or two of this stuff I may give it a try in my MR2. I had some issues with it overheating after along session on a hot day, and that was a pretty interesting read. Even if it's $30/gallon that's still a sight less than a racing radiator.
Here's a source locally/regionally through an actual NSX-owner: Evans NPG+.

Last edited:
The radiator fins do indeed make a difference. Blow some air to clean any debris between them.

It's not fun but it's free. This is what I used several years ago:

http://www.eastwood.com/radiator-fin-pliers.html

I was thinking about going to to the Ron Davis Radiator and im glad to hear someone here is having a good experience with it. Anybody else track there cars regularly and use the Ron Davis Radiator??

Thanks
Blaine

Re: hook'up...

Here's a source locally/regionally through an actual NSX-owner: Evans NPG+.

Thanks Umar. Yep, I sell it now as part of my aircraft business. I currently use it in my motorcycle (and airplane), haven't yet changed it out in the NSX. But if anyone in the Austin area needs some, we've got it.

Back