SRS Light on

About 3-4 years ago, the light would stay on briefly after starting the car. For the past 6 months, it stays on all of the time. I have done no modifications to the car or had any accidents. Does anyone know what this could be? I probably will be taking it to the dealer and I hate to give them a blank check to start replace everything.

I looked online and there was a number of videos showing how to reset the light by plugging wires into a yellow plug near the fuse box. Didn't do anything.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

what year NSX? there is difference in the system from 1991-1992, 1993-2001 and 2002-2005

check all fuse related to the SRS system per the manual. then

I would say that the connections to the SRS brain needs to be checked, this area because its under the a/c evaporator and is almost always moist has corroded the connections. I have seen this many times now. I have had luck unplugging the brain which is under the radio about a foot down bolted to the chassis with star bolts that suck ass to remove, you normally strip them before you can get them off. Honda put some hondabond on these bolts for some reason.... well probably didn't want people to remove them LOL. I have actually has to CUT the bolts off with a combination of SAWZAW or drills to get them out.

make sure to take the carpet out as the drilling makes bits of metal and getting the shaving out of the carpet sucks also. not saying you need to do all this but if replacing the brain your gonna have to.

to get to the brain yout dealership is gonna need to remove the dash partially to get access to the plugs, unplug them look inside you will see this white powder spray some carb and choke cleaner inside and use some q-tips to agitate the wet powder till everything is nice a clean, I normally bend the prongs just a little so that when its re-inserted they make a nice strong connection to the brain.

one more thing I would clean while your in there is the connections to the passenger airbag if you have one dep. on year. same method

remove the glovebox then you have access to the plug, unplug spray carb choke cleaner agitate the whitepowder bend prongs and plug back in.

goodluck.

check all fuse related to the SRS system per the manual. then ...

goodluck.
Shawn110975 .. I have had the same issue as the OP for over 5 years. It started in an interim manner and then went permanent. There are many reasons why the light can come on and the shop manual has a long, multi-page diagnostic process for figuring out what the problem is which starts with simple things like checking the fuse (as you noted) but then involves checking the voltages at various pins on the brain connections. The problem is .. you need a special diagnostic tool which plugs into the brain and externalizes the voltages to make them easier to check. The local dealer loaned me the tool and after working my way through the logic, it essentially told me that there was a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. Now, unlike you, I suspect the wiring not the brain connections because my problem originally arose after I had the problem where the evaporator drain gets plugged and the condensation overflows down into the passenger footwell where my carpet was soaked. Part of the SRS wiring harness actually runs through this same area so it made sense to me that it maybe got wet. After drying things out, the problem went away .. but returned a few years later (plugged again with overflow) and never went away this time. So, I'm curious as to why you suspected the connections to the brain which is in the console area and not likely to be in an area which would get wet. I went through the painful process of removing the brain (as you described) and IIRC, it's actually mounted slightly elevated which again makes me believe it couldn't get wet. I actually bought a used SRS wiring harness from someone on Prime and was planning to try to replace that part of the OEM harness in the coming weeks to see if that will solve the issue. Have you ever tried that?

if you think back to that area of the car yes the brain is raised about an inch off the chassis but with the carpet boxing it in makes for a nice moist area the moisture has nowhere to go but stay in this nice boxed in area right where the brain is.

The point I was trying to make was that my evaporator has twice overflowed into the front left side of the passenger footwell .. probably directly above where the passenger's left foot would be and although the carpet was soaked in the horizontal footwell area, I don't recall the vertical carpet on the left side even being damp. But I'll be unplugging the cable from the brain anyway to replace it so I'll have an opportunity to check the plugs for white powder.

Gentlemen,

Check this thread http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/160961-SRS-Failure , I believe it will offer some help for you in identifying and resolving the issue you are experiencing.

As I said in my earlier comment, there are a large number of things which will cause SRS problems and that thread primarily only deals with one of the causes .. leaky caps in the control module. I had already pulled mine out and the caps are fine.

Back