SRS Cable Reel

Is it possible to disassemble the SRS cable reel in the steering wheel? The reason for my question, is the reel was improperly installed and the reel over rotated. I reinstalled it correctly which fixed the problem for a while, but then the SRS light started coming back on when the wheel was turned sharply to the left. My concern is that in an accident avoidance situation, the wheel might be turned hard to the left and the air bag disabled, just when it is needed. Before I pay $274 for a new reel, I would like to know if repair is possible. I don't want to have to take it all apart only to find out repair is out of the question and then have to wait for the new reel without being able to drive my baby. Thoughts anyone?

Gary

Last edited:
Been there, done that, after all I've bought a new one. I couldn't open the reel without the fear of damaging it. Be careful with it.

Are all of the SRS systems the same from year to year, is the steering ratio different from power steering to non power steering?

yes its the same SRS clockspring also known as cable reel
from year to year. now the SRS Brain is different when they added the passenger airbag

Back