Spoon NSX-R GT Reviw... By me!

• Thread starter Thread starter BD
  • Start date Start date
They did not even bothered to get the shiftboot installed the correct way!

Must be going on the Spoon name alone to sell as this car is just piss poor slap together

That is pretty poor to charge $125K and keep the 5-speed. Geez. That car isn't worth $60K.

No it's not. As an earlier supporter of the Spoon project I'd have been mad as hell if I'd sold my car and had this show up on my doorstep:mad:

I can't even trust them to have done all the engine work they said they did as they've told so many lies about the darn thing.

LOL Hey what happened to the 245/40/17 they had in the front when they were first showing it.

Can't believe they didn't even use a 6spd :rolleyes:

Hey are there monoblock Spoons in the back as well?

at least they give you the 6 speed shiftknob:tongue:

stock 97+ calipers in rear with spoon brake pads

at least they give you the 6 speed shiftknob:tongue:

stock 97+ calipers in rear with spoon brake pads

LOL I know how stupid is that or should I ask how stupid do they think we are:confused:

Yeah the calipers should be the same ones used for the S2K from what I've heard still trying to find out if the oversize rotors are the ones you can buy for the S2K as well. If they are just kind of another black eye on this project.

It's almost like they're thinking this is one of their Civic projects ..just absurd!

I felt the Spoon calipers worked very well on their turbocharged NSX-R GT that I drove.

I don't know if the front rotor was larger than an NA2 or not, it didn't look too much bigger if it was. Regardless, their caliper/pad combination worked well.

I felt the Spoon calipers worked very well on their turbocharged NSX-R GT that I drove.

I don't know if the front rotor was larger than an NA2 or not, it didn't look too much bigger if it was. Regardless, their caliper/pad combination worked well.

That was you in the vid:eek:

The Spoon calipers are same size as O.E right just lighter weight. So the backs really were sufficient even with the increased HP?

I see people changing the brakes on NA2's but the type R never had a problem with brake fade from what I've seen even though it seemed to out brake it's competition. Was that due to weight?

That was you in the vid:eek:

The Spoon calipers are same size as O.E right just lighter weight. So the backs really were sufficient even with the increased HP?

I see people changing the brakes on NA2's but the type R never had a problem with brake fade from what I've seen even though it seemed to out brake it's competition. Was that due to weight?
which video? If it was the Spoon NSX-R GT vs. Mines R35 GTR, I drove it but most of the footage was of my buddy Tyler McQuarrie driving it. GT Channel has yet to air the FX Motoraports (FactorX) NSX kill the Spoon NSX-R GT by a couple seconds despite shifting problems (3rd gear not working properly). I'm questioning if they will ever air it.

NA2s are quite a bit larger due to the later models larger wheels and higher grip from newer/wider tires. It really depends on the modifications, tires, pads used, and driving ability if any brake system will be enough.

The stock first gen brakes and pads could be fine on a turbo NSX with 800hp on slicks with a wanker driver who goes full throttle only on the straights, lifts well before the braking zone, and is timid to push the brakes to the limit. Likewise, a good driver can find the limits of a stock car with tires and suspension. The limits of the NA2 system and agressive track pads/fluid is quite high and has compromises of replacing pads for street duty or noise. But it should be sufficient for most drivers/applications.

I think I beat a dead horse about BBK systems, but if anyone needs help or advice about what would be best for their budget/application, feel free to email me at [email protected]

I'm also working with the brake supplier for a JGTC NSX team to make a street kit with the same technology for street/track NSXs. Stay tuned.

How many does Spoon intend on bring to the US market? Maybe the price reflects the limited production numbers- but even so, the car is a major disappointment. For $125K, you can have a NSX race car built to specs that would be capable of competing with other cup cars.

P1020932.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Here's a another lie.... sheet says "Type R wheels". Pic says Prodrive. :tongue:

i dont get it
that DATA sheet must have been typed by some secretary at the local acura dealer

they probably wrote 5 speed due to the year make model
but the car probably has a 6 speed tranny

and the other mistakes,, humm i cant explain

--

and one more thing.. why would there be a sticker on the hood of a $125,000 car ???

Last edited:
Here's a another lie.... sheet says "Type R wheels". Pic says Prodrive. :tongue:

And those are the wrong sizes of type R wheels so just another lie added to the list.

i dont get it
that DATA sheet must have been typed by some secretary at the local acura dealer

they probably wrote 5 speed due to the year make model
but the car probably has a 6 speed tranny

and the other mistakes,, humm i cant explain

Are you sure it's a six speed? At this point I wouldn't believe it unless I drove it. Spoon never said anything about replacing the transmission. Maybe they're thinking we should be happy with a NA1 mechanicals but NA2 NSX-R GT look NSX:rolleyes:

--

and one more thing.. why would there be a sticker on the hood of a $125,000 car ???

Not surprised by the review. What a joke for $125K

Remember this from January 2009?

"For all those interested, I want to reiterate that assembling a production car from scratch is no easy feat even for Spoon.

Honda, as with all manufacturers has a pain staking elaborate processes and equipment for sub and final assembly.

Spoon is getting a painted chassis from Honda and getting parts some of which are not new. As indicated, some of the chassis is old. The trick of final assembly is huge. Running wire harnesses, aligning body panels, fitting interior trim, carpet. I'm sure spoon knows how to put together drivetrain, brakes, and suspension, but what about all the other systems on production cars where attention to detail is paramount.

Spoon's expertise is on building race cars, not building production cars. Any auto company's production process and procedure are extremely extensive and don't easily discount why these process exists. They are there to ensure miticulous attention to all assembly details. Does Spoon have all these process and procedures? A race car assembler has minimal concern for NVH that may concern a production car. Same for things such as how the body panels line up and how the interior trimming are put together. Honda uses Decron coated screws for many assembly panels to prevent dissimilar metal corrsion. Does Spoon uses these speciality screws? Are all components assembled to the proper torque spec as specified. There are literally hundreds or thousands of bolt or screws that are torqued to pre-determined spec. All these tools at the factory have pre-established torque values. Does Spoon use these torque values on all the assembly processes? Are the wire harness routed in the same location and mounted in the same manner as Honda's specification to prevent vibration induced failure or squeaks and rattles? These are just examples. There are many more.

The point is, Auto assembly is extremely process driven to ensure upmost quality to meet exacting standards. Go work for an Automaker or see an entire production line and see the elaborate process and equipment and have someone explain to you why it needs to be done in that manner with that equipment and you'll understand. Just because Spoon knows how to put together a racing NSX, does not mean it knows how to put together a production NSX to the same exacting standards as Honda's. Not withstanding the variables of using some old parts. For all this, just remember the only warranty that is available is a 2 year warranty on engine and transmission. There is no warranty on anything else. This is not to say don't buy the Spoon NSX. Rather, one should better understand Spoon's process, perhaps see it in person hence they can align their expectation for their $120K+ vehicle."

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1118536#post1118536

Wow! And I even thought about buying one. I was speaking to Spoon USA when it was first announced and now I'm so glad I didn't.

What's raising questions for me is the correlation between price ($125,000) and the unknown whether you are getting a re-built engine, used chassis, and why the Canadian VIN? I'd also like to know what the total new parts are that you are actually receiving vs. used parts. Are these cars used Canadian market cars returned to Japan (factory refresh-like program) or brand new chassis left un-used at the factory or what?

From what others and Vance have posted this is a terrible business idea and such a waste of money when you can probably ship your own NSX to Spoon in Japan and get a full package done for less, and maybe OEM Type R parts.

I was about to post here on Prime if at least one NSX Prime person or someone you know has bought one of these cars but I think we already know the answer to that...0.:eek:

Last edited:
Lol ,after all the crazy threads about the mythical GT and the spoon "copy":rolleyes: The hype and the arguments between our members about this awesome spoon rendition.So the reality...the price..justified for a complete new car rebuilt from body in white using best parts,,,,,the car:eek: a mismatch hobbled together "tuner" car,that pales in comparison to many of our members cars....but twice the price:eek:

that Serial number represents a Canadian Car:
An "8" in the 6th least sigificant digit is on all Canadian Acuras and Hondas.

Ben. Any other contries with and 8 in the serial number's 6th least sigificant digit?
l_6a0e44275d1741698ecbc88cd0914f01.jpg

That looks like the dealer bought the kit and had the service/detail crew put it together one night.

Yeah in the dark:biggrin:

I get Audi R8 over this car anyday, I don't see myself pay over 60 grand for this nsx or any nsx out there

Remember this from January 2009?

"For all those interested, I want to reiterate that assembling a production car from scratch is no easy feat even for Spoon.

Honda, as with all manufacturers has a pain staking elaborate processes and equipment for sub and final assembly.

Spoon is getting a painted chassis from Honda and getting parts some of which are not new. As indicated, some of the chassis is old. The trick of final assembly is huge. Running wire harnesses, aligning body panels, fitting interior trim, carpet. I'm sure spoon knows how to put together drivetrain, brakes, and suspension, but what about all the other systems on production cars where attention to detail is paramount.

Spoon's expertise is on building race cars, not building production cars. Any auto company's production process and procedure are extremely extensive and don't easily discount why these process exists. They are there to ensure miticulous attention to all assembly details. Does Spoon have all these process and procedures? A race car assembler has minimal concern for NVH that may concern a production car. Same for things such as how the body panels line up and how the interior trimming are put together. Honda uses Decron coated screws for many assembly panels to prevent dissimilar metal corrsion. Does Spoon uses these speciality screws? Are all components assembled to the proper torque spec as specified. There are literally hundreds or thousands of bolt or screws that are torqued to pre-determined spec. All these tools at the factory have pre-established torque values. Does Spoon use these torque values on all the assembly processes? Are the wire harness routed in the same location and mounted in the same manner as Honda's specification to prevent vibration induced failure or squeaks and rattles? These are just examples. There are many more.

The point is, Auto assembly is extremely process driven to ensure upmost quality to meet exacting standards. Go work for an Automaker or see an entire production line and see the elaborate process and equipment and have someone explain to you why it needs to be done in that manner with that equipment and you'll understand. Just because Spoon knows how to put together a racing NSX, does not mean it knows how to put together a production NSX to the same exacting standards as Honda's. Not withstanding the variables of using some old parts. For all this, just remember the only warranty that is available is a 2 year warranty on engine and transmission. There is no warranty on anything else. This is not to say don't buy the Spoon NSX. Rather, one should better understand Spoon's process, perhaps see it in person hence they can align their expectation for their $120K+ vehicle."

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1118536#post1118536

Interesting read.

I'm not into this car at all- I guess I have seen too many Primers do a better job replicating the Type R with OEM equipment.

If I was going to put $125k into an 18 yr old NSX- you can trust and believe it wouldn't look anything like this.

P

I'm not into this car at all- I guess I have seen too many Primers do a better job replicating the Type R with OEM equipment.

If I was going to put $125k into an 18 yr old NSX- you can trust and believe it wouldn't look anything like this.

P

I'm pretty sure no ones would. Even for those who bought new. I can't think of any area where the Spoon isn't an utter disappointment.

I love the front and rear bumper. Any thoughts? thanks, Frank

You asked for it :biggrin:

I think that whole kit screws the proportions of the car.

I think A "normal" bumper and stanchioned splitter is much more attractive and functional. It would also make me much less nervous driving on the street because errant roadkill would not mean replacing the entire facia.

The rear I could live with as long as it has some aero function like providing extra length to accomodate a better diffuser (it still looks borderline ridiculous).

It looks better in race livery because the crazy paint and sponsor stickers take your eye away from the underbite and ghetto booty.

There, I said it. Spare my soul for the blasphemy I have just uttered. (or was everyone else thinking it and just not saying it?)

Back