Spoon NSX-R GT Reviw... By me!

• Thread starter Thread starter BD
  • Start date Start date

BD

Legendary Member
There is a Spoon NSX-R GT FS at South Coast Acura.

I had the privilege to check out the car.

The asking price is $125,000

I'm a bit disappointed with the car for the lack of OEM parts.
The bonnet(Hood), under the hood air duct, Spoiler, F/R bumpers, side air pods, and Snorkel are all replicas.

The only NSX-R OEM parts are: Shift Knob/boot, Seats, and gauge cluster.

The car was built on a early NA1 couple. The roof liners, door inserts are all early OEM NA1 style. Not perforated. The dash material is none-Type R OEM.

It does not have NSX-R suspension. It does come with Spoon Suspension, wheels, brake rotors/caliper/pads, and exhaust. No mention of the header.

The snorkel is not genuine Mugen, and the it is a dress up item only, they didn't even cut the lexan hatch to let the air through the engine bay.

The Paint job is B+, and fit and finish was pertty bad. The replica hood and wing is not even CFRP, but FRP. In fact, the wing is not a direct replica, from the look of it, it's a saibon wing, or taitec wing with no LED. The hood does not flush with the fender line on both side.

As a NA1, you have the C30A block and five speed tranny. Spoon claimed the engine is blueprinted with 300HP to the crank.

Quite frankly, I can't figure out the pricing since every thing can be done for much less cost. Just look at Dan's car.

Here are some photos:
l_8265cf8201ad4f93a21497f427bf1e57.jpg

l_676cf80981f440f794edbace3cc80600.jpg

l_ccf418fdd4d8481ba1029a7824939119.jpg

l_89933c69db3c45d58bdb102dbcfd9b11.jpg

l_09f0fdfbc7be4f99b28913a65c12b759.jpg

l_6c8efb3fa45f42fb93b413b7f5bd796b.jpg

l_24a96d384d6443b9ae735c15fadf5813.jpg

l_1d117b3c112947c29ec675b74747689e.jpg

http://c3.ac-
l_726a816bb555414f94793ea86dafa8ca.jpg

l_6a0e44275d1741698ecbc88cd0914f01.jpg

l_b0b70f5689524e6d9943bdd528eee2c8.jpg

Ha. It was built on a Canadian 1991. Interesting.

Ha. It was built on a Canadian 1991. Interesting.

Make sense, no LHD/RHD conversion, no speedometer circuit board conversion.

I bet you the shift lights don't work either.

seats?

There is a Spoon NSX-R GT FS at South Coast Acura.

l_b0b70f5689524e6d9943bdd528eee2c8.jpg
Vance... aren't the genuine JDM '02+ NSX-R seats actually covered w/ a sport-fabric on the bolsters/sides & perforated-Alcantara on the center inserts/cushions? Those seats above (ie. Spoon NSX-R GT) look to be completely covered w/ the sport-fabric! :confused:

Last edited:
Re: seats?

Vance... aren't the genuine JDM '02+ NSX-R seats actually covered w/ a sport-fabric on the bolsters/sides & perforated-Alcantara on the center inserts/cushions? Those seats above (ie. Spoon NSX-R GT) look to be completely covered w/ the sport-fabric! :confused:

Yes, from the look of it, they decided to use the sports mesh fabric for the center insert as well, not the perforated alcantara fabric. The seat it self however, it the real deal with CK shell and power seat rails.

I understand the NSX-R GT bumpers and side pods are made by Route KS, but I can't justify the pricing when you don't get the C32B/Six speed, and poorly replicated hood and wing. For that kind of money, they should use all OEM parts. In fact, they really shouldn't call it NSX-R since there are no OEM NSX-R performance parts on it.

Last edited:
I guess it is easier for me to present it like this:

OEM Type R parts:
NSX-R Seats
NSX-R Gauge Cluster
NSX-R Shift Knob and Boot
NSX-R Center arm rest (No VTEC Emblem)

Replica parts:
Route KS NSX-R GT front/rear bumpers, side pods
Snorkel and lexan hatch. (No hole were cut on the lexan, a dummy snorkel)
Taitec Rear wing with no LED FRP
Wet Carbon Route KS NSX-R Hood. FRP

Spoon and other parts:
Suspension
Wheels
Brake pads/rotors/calipers
Exhaust
Momo steering wheel, NOT NSX-R with perforated leather wrap, and after market hub.

Blue printed C30A and five speed with 300HP and Spoon NSX Engine dress up.

Missing parts, kept as OEM 1991 OEM NSX:
Door inserts (Folded leather style)
OEM dash board.
Interior carpeting.

Every thing on this car can be done for a much cheaper price, at least not $125k.

Hyperthetically speaking:
You buy a 1991 NSX for $25k
Do the stroker kit $15-20k
Real NSX-R Hood, wing, seats and gauge cluster: $10k + $7k + $18k
+ $2.5k = $47500

Suspension, wheels, mesh engine cover $10k
Brake system: $1500.00
RE070 NSX-R Tires: $1500.00

Route KS bumpers: $3500.00

Full car paint job: $7k

Total: $90,000K. That's with all OEM NSX-R parts.

Gotta love the USDM and JDM front fender markers. This car is not worth $125K. The interior carpeting looks like it was sprayed with vinyl spray. And inside the trunk was a single black floor mat for the driver side. It was from an S2000, as indicated by the aluminum/metal badge. The exhaust looks like a stock 91-96 exhaust with tips. It even has the heat shields on the exhaust piping.

I guess it is easier for me to present it like this:

OEM Type R parts:
NSX-R Seats
NSX-R Gauge Cluster
NSX-R Shift Knob and Boot
NSX-R Center arm rest (No VTEC Emblem)

Replica parts:
Route KS NSX-R GT front/rear bumpers, side pods
Snorkel and lexan hatch. (No hole were cut on the lexan, a dummy snorkel)
Taitec Rear wing with no LED FRP
Wet Carbon Route KS NSX-R Hood. FRP

Spoon and other parts:
Suspension
Wheels
Brake pads/rotors/calipers
Exhaust
Momo steering wheel, NOT NSX-R with perforated leather wrap, and after market hub.

Blue printed C30A and five speed with 300HP and Spoon NSX Engine dress up.

Missing parts, kept as OEM 1991 OEM NSX:
Door inserts (Folded leather style)
OEM dash board.
Interior carpeting.

Every thing on this car can be done for a much cheaper price, at least not $125k.

Hyperthetically speaking:
You buy a 1991 NSX for $25k
Do the stroker kit $15-20k
Real NSX-R Hood, wing, seats and gauge cluster: $10k + $7k + $18k
+ $2.5k = $47500

Suspension, wheels, mesh engine cover $10k
Brake system: $1500.00
RE070 NSX-R Tires: $1500.00

Route KS bumpers: $3500.00

Full car paint job: $7k

Total: $90,000K. That's with all OEM NSX-R parts.

Nice break down. Those OEM parts are expensive. I guess Spoon had to cut corners to make profits somehow haha.

So if someone buys it, is it titled as a '91?

Was it a 91 that was owned/driven for 18 years already?

Yah I agree, waste of money...

That's why they can't sell it. They used so much sensationalism ( lies ) with it to get attention it's not funny:mad:

I do wish they'd market some of the parts they used as supposedly ( can't trust Spoons word for it ) the front/rear bumpers are CF , plus I like the valve covers and the lighter smaller alternator would be cool but they can keep the car!

Spoon made the bumpers themselves supposedly FYI.

Last edited:
Hey Vance is the front spoiler similar to the CR in that it looks better and not as big in real life as it does in pictures?

Maybe this is their first car to test the market. I'm sure they have wiggle room from the $125k.

As for the the way this car looks, I like it. From a distance, it looked mean and is an improvement over the standard Type R.

Too bad you're not here in S. Cal.

Hi all. Here's a couple of pics I took of this car last night. Sorry, the girl is not part of the equipment package. :wink:

PS. For what they are asking, I'd rather buy 3 NSXs which would include an NA2 Imola!

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_1952.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so in love with that front lip!

Guys I said it before and say it again, Route KS parts finish on this kit is very poor. My paint guys asked me if I was sure the side pods were for an NSX, they are that bad. Pinholes everywere, thin FRP in areas you name it! Lucky the paint shop guys liek the car and had a couple of months to mess with it until it was reinforced, refilled and properly fitted. in other words, not for the faint of heart and not cheap on the wallet either.

Guys I said it before and say it again, Route KS parts finish on this kit is very poor. My paint guys asked me if I was sure the side pods were for an NSX, they are that bad. Pinholes everywere, thin FRP in areas you name it! Lucky the paint shop guys liek the car and had a couple of months to mess with it until it was reinforced, refilled and properly fitted. in other words, not for the faint of heart and not cheap on the wallet either.

Ok so then they're not CF parts made by Spoon then. Yet another lie:mad:

Oh and you forgot the "not gonna sell at anywhere near that price"

LOL Hey what happened to the 245/40/17 they had in the front when they were first showing it.

Can't believe they didn't even use a 6spd :rolleyes:

Hey are there monoblock Spoons in the back as well?

They did not even bothered to get the shiftboot installed the correct way!

LOL Hey what happened to the 245/40/17 they had in the front when they were first showing it.

Can't believe they didn't even use a 6spd :rolleyes:

Hey are there monoblock Spoons in the back as well?

That is pretty poor to charge $125K and keep the 5-speed. Geez. That car isn't worth $60K.

Back