• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Spool Valve Gasket walk through (pics)

As a follow up to the second question of post #20 which I don't think was answered, I have the same question, namely:

2. the top gasket is very different from the original in my case (yr 1994). The original gasket doesn't have the screen and it has a slightly different shape, different enough that my new gasket didn't fit the contours...

The following images explain my problem. I have a 97 whose VTEC solenoid looks like the attached pictures with a seal that does not have a screen and a gasket that is shaped significantly different than part number 36172-PR3-005. I tried removing the screen, and bending the seal and it still does not fit. Does anyone have a answer.

The upper seal is the on from my car and the lower one is the new one that doesn't fit.

IMG_3010.jpg

Note: I will follow this with a second post showing the bottom of the solenoid because it the site is not letting me post more than on image at a time.

Thanks for any help!

Don

- - - Updated - - -

OK so it showed up when I hit post. Hopefully a larger image of the seals will show up here.

Don

C:\DOCUME~1\Danny\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image002.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3009.jpg
    IMG_3009.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 373
Some research indicates there are indeed a different part numbers for later cars. That's interesting. The online listings suggest '95 was the change-over, but apparently that may also to apply to some '94s based on your experience. After that it appears to be the same part even on the NA2s.

'91 - '93 part numbers:
  • 15825-PR3-005
  • 36172-PR3-005

'95(4) - '05 part numbers:
  • 15825-P08-005
  • 36172-P08-015

Last edited:
I never disconnect them. I just swing the box up onto the top of the throttle body;). No need to bother disconnecting them, just the electrical connections need to come off.

My $.02....

Regards,
LarryB

why does the manual say NOT to disconnect the vacuum lines from the control box or the throttle body? Also, in the replacement of clutch DIY by Cspeed, again they say the same thing, do not disconnect the vacuum lines from the throttle body?..

obviously vacuum lines were disconnected here inorder to get the control box out of the way to get at the spool valve?... any issues here? Does the car run roughly after you reconnect them? is there any 'memory' loss from the control box that happens? I don't understand their concerns, maybe they just think you will connect them back wrong and they say dont do it?.. I don't know..

R13 is correct.

measure your solenoid diameter:

If it is about 35mm, it’s the original design and you need the PR3 for both filter gaskets.
If it is about 25mm, then you have the new design so use P08
The 1994 cars that were near model end year have the newer P08 design.

It’s been discussed in these posts and if you are measuring the diameter of the solenoid, you need to measure it carefully at the top hat section.
I made the mistake of adding too much tolerance in the measurement as you can see in the link below.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/174797-Spool-Valve-Gaskets-Part-numbers

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?995-Low-mileage-LMA-service-08

To be more specific, if your solenoid diameter is about 30mm (not 35), then you have the original design spool valve and you need the PR3 series gaskets.

If your measurement is about 23mm, you have the later design and thus, you need the P08 series gaskets.

The change over between PR3 and P08 gaskets happened during 94 for Japan and Europe markets so when you enter the VIN to order the gaskets over the parts system in these countries, you will be asked to enter the engine no. as well if you own 94 model.

It seems that for US Acura, the change over happened from 95 model because the parts system doesn’t ask for the engine no. but there is a chance that some of the late 94 Acura models don't necessarily fit with this story depending on the country spec so I recommend measuring the solenoid diameter.

Kaz

Super helpful thread. I will use this to order my gaskets. I wonder if there is any reason not to replace the whole solenoid? Seems to me after 150K miles, one should consider upgrading? But, it may be one of those parts that will last a lifetime? Thoughts?

Honcho or MotorMouth93 - would either of you recommend silicone grease or HondaBond on the mating surfaces? (I would think not since the gaskets do the work.)

I am about to order all this up and while all taken apart, do my thermostat. I am just not sure it is working properly and since I will have all that other stuff out of the way, may as well do that too. (My symptoms were very low engine operating temperature while riding with the targa off in...wait for it...30 degree weather.) The thing would not ever get hot.

Back