Spin out - What caused it?

Was it ever in a tuner magazine (not a feature but maybe it was pictured in show coverage or somthing) ? I think I saw it in one of the mags years ago with different wheels. It may have been on TV as well performing at some track event. The rotary conversion is pretty cool. 510 guys have been doing it a long time now so it seems to one of the best of many choices. Thanks for posting more pics !
Yes it has been in pretty much every tuner magazine many years ago, and has shown up recently from coverage of the time attack events its been at. I wouldn't doubt if its been on TV. This was one of the first 510s to run a rotary... many many years ago.

Here's the video of that drifting shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDzexVIjR9g&feature=channel

DSC_0029.jpg

I remember falling in love with Todd Kaneko's Rotary 510. I was a big tri-rotor RX-2,3,7 guy in HS so the triangle has always had a special place in my heart.

I started to look for a datsun a few years ago but it was hard to find a decent shell anywhere. I also didn't have enough knowledge, tools, skill or time to build one the way I wanted to (offset the rotary engine behind the front crossbeam, etc.). I decided it was easier to build a muscle car since parts are available everywhere. Better resale on them, at least in the Barrett Jackson hayday, also made it economically easier to swallow.

Love hearing these 510 stories!!! My buddy still has an all original 72, 2dr automatic with a typical old lady story attached. Hope to be able to race one as my own someday.

I remember falling in love with Todd Kaneko's Rotary 510. I was a big tri-rotor RX-2,3,7 guy in HS so the triangle has always had a special place in my heart.

I started to look for a datsun a few years ago but it was hard to find a decent shell anywhere. I also didn't have enough knowledge, tools, skill or time to build one the way I wanted to (offset the rotary engine behind the front crossbeam, etc.). I decided it was easier to build a muscle car since parts are available everywhere. Better resale on them, at least in the Barrett Jackson hayday, also made it economically easier to swallow.

Love hearing these 510 stories!!! My buddy still has an all original 72, 2dr automatic with a typical old lady story attached. Hope to be able to race one as my own someday.
Same car, a few years and modifications later... :wink:

Ok I found a video of me drifting from the 2007 Sport Compact Car Ultimate Street Car Challenge in a Twin Turbo G35.

I also did the road-course part of the competition, but here is my crappy drifting in a small parking lot (30 seconds to do whatever, not enough room to carry any real speed, and its not a track):

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/videos/6201562/2007-uscc-2005-infiniti-g35-video/index.html

And I just found the 2008 SCC USCC with me in a Red Mazda 3 and a Blue Nissan 350Z Twin Turbo. This year they did the "Gross Display of Horsepower" in a different location that was much wider and allowed for higher speed = more smoke:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/v...-gross-display-of-horsepower-video/index.html

Last edited:
damn billy

i had no idea you where so pretty. and only 22. mad props. :biggrin:

keep plugging those sponsors! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks, it's a pretty well known all over the world (esp. Japan and Australia), and is my uncle's. It has a Turbocharged 13B rotary motor and Turbo II transmission with 300ZX rear end.

RD8M1104s.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

Is your uncle's name Tod Kaneko? Because it looks like his 510 I used to race 510's back in the early to mid 90's in SCCA & VSRG Vintage 2.5 Challenge with TRS & Tom Neely and from what I remember Tods car was build by Mario Lozano & was a show car anyhow my point is that it's actually nice to see it actually running at the track! That is in fact if your uncles name is Tod & It's the same car I remember!

Is your uncle's name Tod Kaneko? Because it looks like his 510 I used to race 510's back in the early to mid 90's in SCCA & VSRG Vintage 2.5 Challenge with TRS & Tom Neely and from what I remember Tods car was build by Mario Lozano & was a show car anyhow my point is that it's actually nice to see it actually running at the track! That is in fact if your uncles name is Tod & It's the same car I remember!
Yep, Tod Kaneko is my Uncle and it was just a show car until a few years ago. You really know it's history. Yes Mario Lozano from TSR Fabrication almost everything on it.

It's going to go through some major changes very soon with Triple-adjustable Moton race coilovers, Brembo racing calipers, and smaller wheels - to beat up on some of the current-model time attack cars out there.

Back