SPEC clutch Who has one? Who wishes they didn't?

I have sold SPEC clutches for years to WRX's Integra's etc. No problems. Now I go and want to start selling the NSX app, and have heard mixed reviews. One vendor said they won't sell them anymore because of fitment issues. Lets straighten this out once and for all. Bring on the testimonials. I want to start selling these, and installing one on my own car as well, but am on hold with the NSX app. until I figure out where these stories came from. I just find it odd, that a company (SPEC) can sell thousands for other applications, including OTHER Honda's trouble free, but the NSX clutch is faulty.

Haven't there already been some mixed reports here on NSXprime? Why not contact those folks directly?

You also might try contacting people who service lots of NSXs and might have installed them on behalf of other owners - folks like Larry Bastanza, Mark Basch, and your own kick-ass local dealer ;) - to see what their experience is.

Not criticizing you for posting here, Tom, just giving you some additional ways to get the information you're looking for...

I got one of the early dual disc stage II clutches. Clutch would not release completely, as did other people's. Despite a few emails to SPEC, nothing has been done about it. They also shipped the wrong release bearing.

I believe it is this particular clutch that some vendors now do not sell.

Installed the SPEC Stage II clutch for 500 miles and had to switch it out for OEM. It shudders like a vibrater and for some reason makes it difficult to put into 1st and reverse. Just my opinion.

I have read the thread where you are also having this problem with OEM. Install???
The SPEC twin disc sucked and no longer is sold.
I have seen three reviews on prime of the single disc and they were positive.
Mine, installed by Barnman, continues to be perfect.

Hey,

I too currently run a Spec Stage 2 single disc clutch. I’ve written my reviews about it before, but I’ll do so again.

I was one of the first people to have a Spec clutch. Initially, I bought the Spec dual disk Stage 2 clutch(made for 91-96). There was a serious flaw in their design and these clutches were horrible. After some drama, I finally got sent a Spec Single disk Stage 2 clutch(single disk= 97+) which is compatable with the 91-96 NSXes with longer flywheel bolts or what not. Now this clutch rocks!

Let me tell you, with the tall gears of the NSX, I could not break the tires loose from a 1st to 2nd gear shift. Now, with the clamping force of the Spec clutch, I can certainly break the back end loose. If I do it just right, I can get the NSX to very slightly fish tail. But I could not do anything close to that with the OEM dual disk clutch.

As far as shudder, whoever said they got sick of it, you should have hung in a few more miles. I too was very afraid. Everytime I went up and incline, the car would shudder like a jackhammer! But after a few hundred miles, its smooth as silk. In fact, from my recollection, the Spec clutch has turned out to be even smooth than the OEM. Good stuff I tell you.

Now, my one and only grievance. Sometimes, in bumper to bumper traffic, getting the car into first gear can be a bit notchy. Nothing extreme, but in traffic, you will start to notice it. Like the OEM clutch, to avoid shudder, we are told to blip the throttle and release the clutch as the RPM’s drop. Well, with the Spec clutch, I simply blip the throttle and slide it into gear to avoid the notchyness( I doubt that’s a word).

But all in all, its a great clutch that really grabs.

Hope this helps...
- Z

Back