Spec Brand clutch

j14nsx said:
I have a SPEC stage 2 that's about to go in. What is this 'shim' that people have mentioned. Should I have them taken out before the install?

You need to talk to the vendor before you install that clutch, trust me!

Last edited:
SPEC

Clutch is not reliable in terms of operation.

This is not a true statement. The “operation” of this clutch has never been an issue. The only problem that has come up was the fact that SPEC was putting a “shim” in the twin disc clutch to eliminate the need for initialization. The installers where not familiar with this and if they initialized the clutch it messed up the disc spacing.

SPEC informs me they have 60 units installed this year and they only know of 3 messed up initializations. One from Dali and two from SOS and I believe the people in question are offered a fix at no cost to them. Chris can confirm this.

I installed the stage two single disc (not a rebuild) and also the first aluminum 6-speed flywheel in my 97 CTSC and it has been perfect It shuddered a little at first, as SPEC told me it would, but now at 500 miles it’s perfect. It has stock pedal feel with sharp but smooth engagement and holds strong. I beat the hell out of it the other day before posting this just to be sure, no problems.

It is my opinion that SPEC was ahead of the curve with the shims. By trying to eliminate the most common area of mistakes on the twin disc install, the initializations. Obviously it did not work, as the installers were not familiar with this approach.

I know SPEC is ahead of the curve being the company to develop the 6-speed aluminum flywheel that is $1000 cheaper than OEM. That’s how this whole thing started. I was looking for an option other than Comptech PG2 or OEM and SPEC and SOS came up with a solution. By the way, this will fit the 5-speed also.

For the 6-speed I believe SPEC is the best option out there. Now that the 5-speed “shim” problem is fixed SPEC is a strong contender here as well.

Joe

I had the Spec lightweight flywheel put in with an OEM clutch. The screws on the back side of the flywheel was rubbing against the clutch shield on my 91' The shop had to flatten my shield in order to fix the rubbing. The 94+ or 96+ shield were flat, so not sure if the same thing will happen on other cars. However, I think more testing of the flywheel by manufacturer would've filtered out this issue before it's put on my car.

No big harm done to the car, but that initial scratching sound when starting the car was not very pleasant, and don't think anyone else would want to hear that on their car after a 8 hour clutch job.

Re: SPEC

jdnsx said:
This is not a true statement. The “operation” of this clutch has never been an issue. The only problem that has come up was the fact that SPEC was putting a “shim” in the twin disc clutch to eliminate the need for initialization. The installers where not familiar with this and if they initialized the clutch it messed up the disc spacing.

SPEC informs me they have 60 units installed this year and they only know of 3 messed up initializations. One from Dali and two from SOS and I believe the people in question are offered a fix at no cost to them. Chris can confirm this.

I installed the stage two single disc (not a rebuild) and also the first aluminum 6-speed flywheel in my 97 CTSC and it has been perfect It shuddered a little at first, as SPEC told me it would, but now at 500 miles it’s perfect. It has stock pedal feel with sharp but smooth engagement and holds strong. I beat the hell out of it the other day before posting this just to be sure, no problems.

It is my opinion that SPEC was ahead of the curve with the shims. By trying to eliminate the most common area of mistakes on the twin disc install, the initializations. Obviously it did not work, as the installers were not familiar with this approach.

I know SPEC is ahead of the curve being the company to develop the 6-speed aluminum flywheel that is $1000 cheaper than OEM. That’s how this whole thing started. I was looking for an option other than Comptech PG2 or OEM and SPEC and SOS came up with a solution. By the way, this will fit the 5-speed also.

For the 6-speed I believe SPEC is the best option out there. Now that the 5-speed “shim” problem is fixed SPEC is a strong contender here as well.

Joe

So.. I'm considering getting this clutch. When i do the install I guess I shouldn't worry about the intialization?? (I think I might be reading this wrong but I really just wanna make sure)

thanks,
-x-

no, i think you need to remove the shims and then worry about initilization. The shims are there to cancel out initilization but i don't think itworked or something...but Chris at SOS told me to remove them.

I don't think the guy removed them though because my clutch initiliazes at the last inch or so of clutch pedal and it shakes sometimes, especially reverse! Hopefully he didn't remove it because then he'll have to crack it open to remove it for free and i'll have my flywheels switched out as well :) Throw him a couple hundred if he has to do that just so it wasn't a total waste.

Re: Re: SPEC

You are correct. With the Spec Single Disc Clutch (http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produ...nce_products/NSX/Spec/single_disc/default.asp), you do not need to perform for the clutch initialization procedure.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
-- Chris

VBNSX said:
So.. I'm considering getting this clutch. When i do the install I guess I shouldn't worry about the intialization?? (I think I might be reading this wrong but I really just wanna make sure)

thanks,
-x-

Hi All,

Here's my feedback on the Spec Clutch-

My application was a 97 Twin-Turbo. ("Was", since the car was recently sold. I guess I should post soon about what I got and how it compares to the NSX!)

My application therefore was the single-disc version. I can't remember if it was a "Stage 1" or "Stage 2" -- it was the one good for street driving (full face) that Spec said would hold 40% more power than the Exedy clutch. I ordered it with the lightened disc option. The flywheel was kept stock.

The first clutch I received worked well initially but quickly developed a strange wear issue, possibly relating to the throw out bearing or the fingers of the pressure plate not being properly hardened. No one was ever sure what the cause of the problem was, but I can tell you that Spec sent me a replacement unit free of charge. They stood behind their product.

The 2nd clutch was without issue and remains in the car.

The pedal actuation/feel is near-stock. You don't have to worry about a stiff clutch pedal. It feels great.

It also holds power well without being "overly grabby". You engage the clutch just like you would with the stock one, and you get the same sort of feel, it simply holds more power. That's exactly what I was looking for -- daily driver ease of use but the ability to get 426 rwhp to the ground :). The clutch performed great and I couldn't have been happier with it.

I only had the car back for a short period of time before it was sold, so I can't comment on longevity.

Given that up until now, the Comptech Powergrip was really the only choice for 97+ NSX's that needed more power-holding, the Spec clutch is a really welcome alternative. It's half the cost, could potentially wear longer (to be determined..), and it's more driveable (depending on who you talk to, the Comptech clutch has a firmer-than-stock pedal and may make more noise).

Hope this helps..

Marc

Whether SPEC stand by their product is open to debate. I have emailed them about the problems I am having, and although my email has been read, I have not got an answer. I also emailed asking for advice about the shim issue, but got no reply. Maybe because I am in the UK, they think I don't matter.

J14NSX, I'll help

J14NSX,

Having issue's myself with Spec and I am now on a 1st name base's with the owner.

Let me know what I can do to help!

Cheers

Back