Speaker grill fabric replacement

I have a '94 NSX with camel color interior. When I get in/out of the car I sometimes scrape the speaker grill with my foot, leaving black scuff marks. I thought I would just buy new black speaker covers from Acura. Good idea and I think they would look better in black, but they cost about $40 EA. and there's nothing wrong with the grill.

So I figured I could find fabric and get it done at home. I went to an auto upholstery shop and got a piece of black mesh fabric for $2. That, with an $8 can of spray adhesive turned an $80 replacement into $10.

I don't have before pics because I forgot to take them before I started.
First thing is to pry off the speaker grills. They are held in with metal tabs that are easily bent so you can just pry them out, careful not to damage door panel. Next, remove the existing fabric (peel it off of the metal grill). It is glued along the edges. Here is the removed fabric. speaker0.jpg

I traced a template on paper of the grill that is 3/4" larger for overlap to the backside of the grill. speaker1.jpg

Then I traced that in reverse on the back side of the fabric, marked the tab placement and extended those out another 3/4". speaker2.jpg

I also cut a smaller paper the shape of the grill (1/2" smaller) to act as a shield for the spray adhesive. speaker3.jpg

Lay grill face up with paper shield on top. speaker3.jpg

Spray the adhesive on the edges of the grill. Remove paper shield. Flip the grill over and lay it on the back of the fabric (centered) and press firmly around the edges so the glue will stick. speaker4.jpg

Snip fabric where it meets tabs. speaker5.jpg

Spray adhesive on back side edge of fabric and grill, once again using paper shield. speaker6.jpg

Fold remaining fabric over grill edge and tabs. Pull fabric tight and press firmly. DONE!! speaker7.jpg

Now to reinstall the newly covered grills! speaker8.jpg

You must remove the screw's from the door panel. The ones behind the rubber weather stripping. speaker 9.jpg

I removed all seven, probably not necessary. As long as you can get your hand behind the panel to bend the tabs on the grill tight to hold the grill in place you're good. (hardest part of the job)

Place the grill into the hole in the door, squeeze your hand behind the panel and bend the grill tabs away from grill to hold it in place. Replace the door panel screw's and you're done:smile: speaker10.jpg

How do I attach my pictures with my text? But not using attachment's.
Thanks'

-DREW-

Back