soon to own has simple ?'s

Great news 90% sure I am going to pick up one. I am traveling tomorrow to look at a 95. Here are some simple questions.

What is it like to drive in the rain? Advise for or against.

How bad is that roof noise (service bullitin)

Is it worth the price diff to buy a 95,96 over 93. Guess this is really personal pref but, if someone had the same delima and went either way would love to hear.

I was shocked yesterday when I joined to see how active this site is and how many satisfied buyers/drivers there were.

You folks are great.

John
racerX

there's so many johns in this site also, including myself.

but to answer your question about the rain. im sure it wouldn't be much of a difference than other car as far as safety. the only thing is it's rear wheel drive and my fish tail on turns (fun stuff when you have full control). it also has the traction control system to make it even safer.

i dont have a experience driving my NSX in the rain (not planning unless it emergency) so im limited with my opinion.

but i've driven an mr2 while raining and it was pretty challenging.

racerX said:
Is it worth the price diff to buy a 95,96 over 93. Guess this is really personal pref but, if someone had the same delima and went either way would love to hear.

It really depends on the individual. For me, the 95 or 96 was never a consideration, they were the slowest examples of the NSX ever produced and the added benefit of the T didn't outweigh those disadvantages for me.

I did however like the addition of the 16/17 wheels and the peace of mind of two airbags (the 93' may have both driver and passenger side airbags) that these models had over the very earliest of cars.

In my own search, I was lucky to find a 94' (which does have the upgraded wheels and airbags) which essentially meets most of my needs.

If I could justify the funds at the time of my purchase, I probably would have opted for a 97+. The added displacement/power and 6-speed transmission easily offset the additional weight of the T.

I say probably because I actually find the black roof of the earlier cars to be quite endearing. I personally favor red as my color of choice for colors (have never driven a non-red car) and to me, I feel a red NSX with a black roof looks better than a red NSX with a color matched roof...

As such I would have a hard time choosing between a 97+ coupe (with black roof) versus a 97+ T.

However, for the purposes of your original question, the 95/96 cars were never a consideration for me.

I think some folks may argue that you could add an I/H/E and add short gears to a 95/96 to make up for the weight gain over the earlier models; but if you're willing to spend money on all of those modifications, you're probably better off waiting a bit longer, investing the delta, and then buying something you really want.

Last edited:
Q: What is it like to drive in the rain? Advise for or against.
A: I'm using OEM RE010 tires and they're not good on wet roads...especially in the rain. it's my wknd car so i redline it every time i drive...therefore, i don't take it out in the rain....no sun, no fun.....

Q: How bad is that roof noise (service bullitin)
A: My targa has no problems at all. I take it down from time to time and haven't noticed any funny noises.

Q: Is it worth the price diff to buy a 95,96 over 93. Guess this is really personal pref but, if someone had the same delima and went either way would love to hear.
A: I own a '98 and is curious to want to own a '94..for the 5 speed, coupe and lighter feel.

regardless, this will be one car you'll love more and more each day.

I've driven mine in the rain. As long as your tires are good, it doesn't feel any different from any other RWD car I've driven. If the tires are getting bald though, it definately is more squirmish in the rain.

For me, just like others mentioned, the 95-96 was never a consideration. I would have like to but the 97+ specifically for the 6-Speed and 3.2 motor, however, the T top is not something I need and prefer the Coupe (Hard Top) anyway. The T top on the 97+ would not have been a deal breaker though, but a 97+ Coupe would be my ultimate. With that said, I have a 92 with a hard top since the 97+ was a little more than I could afford at the time. Now that I lived with the car for a while, I really don't regret my choice at all. I do have 98 16/17 rims, I have the JDM NSX-R gears in my 5-Speed, so things are okay for me. I plan on adding a SC sometime later so the 3.2 motor is not a large concern anymore. If I do find I really need that 6-Speed, I can always just swap it in as various dealers sell complete trasmission kits for the conversion. I've been also reading the Forced Induction page and it seems like there are more aftermarket parts to strengthen the 3.0 motor like the deck sleeves and such that appear to make builing up a 3.0 easer than a 3.2. Anyway, that is just my take.

As far as driving in the rain, it depends on the tires. I believe that most of us have high performance dry tires installed. Another disadvantage is visibility due to over-spray from the upcoming traffic because the NSX is sitting so low to the ground.

I had the same problem with roof noise when I test drove a NSX-T before my purchase. I had it fixed by buying a coupe. I can only hear the right noise now.

There are a few differences between the 95-96 and the 93 such as power steering, coupe/T, wheel size, black roof, performance and more. If you are happy with the car and your decision, just go for it. Make sure that you’ll be happy when you wake up the next morning. On the other hand, you can do more research on Prime before you make you decision. Have you run a carfax or autotrack yet?

Good luck and look forward to meet you in our future meetings and runs.

Originally posted by racerX

I've driven in the rain a lot (VA + daily driver) and it is fine. Of course, I drove an MR-2 SC for 10 years as a daily driver too. I just replaced my Michelin all seasons with Yokohamas, and it still seems fine in the rain. OTOH, I take it easy in the rain (read somewhere recently (maybe here) most people go too slow in the dry and too fast in the wet). I do use the chance to exercise the ABS, however.

I have a '91 automatic but plan to upgrade. The auto means the 97+ isn't as much different for me, but that's what I will be trying to get in a few years but I like the T (miss my sunroof!).

PS I've also driven in snow and that can definitely be a little tricky.

racerX said:
Great news 90% sure I am going to pick up one. I am traveling tomorrow to look at a 95. Here are some simple questions.

How bad is that roof noise (service bullitin)

I was shocked yesterday when I joined to see how active this site is and how many satisfied buyers/drivers there were.

You folks are great.

John
racerX

First off I can tell you I always loved the look of the NSX, but never wanted to own one, just for the sheer lack of power. If I'm spending $90k I want something with a LOT of acceleration. I ran into a very good deal, and I can truthfully say THANK GOD I got it. I hopefully will always have some sort of NSX. Now for your questions...

In the rain. I have put Kumho MX tires on the car, and they're not the best in the rain on any vehicle. On this car, it's a death trap. I still do drive it in the rain, but VERY very carefully.

Personally I would not purchase a NSX 95 or newer, due to the OBDII computer. This is only the case if you're looking to heavily modify the car.

T...I didn't want one with the T, so I can't really answer that. My reason, is because when I had a Toyota Supra with a targa, the car did not feel at "tight" as a non-targa version.

Hope this helps!
SR

Back