SOMETHING TO PONDER

I was writing a check for a 911 when the dealer said I should at least test drive a '91 Silver/Black NSX. He said I owed it to myself to drive it. I never saw myself as an "NSX guy", whatever that is. But within 15 minutes I was the owner of that car and have never regretted turning down a Porsche.
But to answer the question, it would definitely be the P car.

I think i'd consider an audi TT roadster-with the 225 HP and that sweet leather stitching.

Anyone ever own a 93-97 lotus turbo? I always see them for sale in the Dupont registry and am intrigued...any thoughts?

I drove a late model V8-Turbo Esprit. It was low slung and good looking. Had the slightly older wing which totally obscured the already bad rear vision. Bad rear quarter vision too. Shook like a kit car. No room for a dead pedal because the wheel well intruded into the footwell.

But despite all the above negatives, it accelerated like a rocket, turned in sharply, sounded like a racer, and appealed very much to my sense of aesthetics so I almost bought it anyway - except the seller (a consignment dealer) wasn't willing to throw in a 1 year aftermarket warranty (on a ~3 year old car!).

Beautiful, but not practical. If you don't care about the latter, get one. I still may...

--twc

I too looked at the Lotus before I purchased my NSX. I Also thought VERY briefly about the Corvette. My reasoning was that I wanted something that would have excellent performance and would crank heads. Something that isnt seen on the streets every day. I'm not trashing anything here and what is right for some is not whats right for all. But a corvette is a corvette and I see about 10 a day. I have NEVER seen a NSX in the town I live in and when I drive mine anywhere it stops traffic much like a Lotus would (except the Lotus would be stopped too because it would be broke down). A corvette on the other hand is very common place. I Brought up this topic to see if there was ANYTHING that could compare to the NSX and frankly there is nothing (curently produced) that could replace this car. Where could we find the performance,reliability, and head cranking ability of the NSX for such a low price. We all should be so happy that we have the ability to own this car and that honda ever made the NSX for us to enjoy!!!

Yes, I think we all can agree that the NSX is very special indeed.

In my case, however, I didn't buy the car to crank heads or impress anyone except myself.

I get the most enjoyment from my NSX when I'm driving it on the open road. At highway speeds (or faster) you can't see people gawking anyway.

Actually, in some ways the NSX is somewhat of a minor aggravation when it's stopped or parked - just because many people ask stupid questions (which I politely answer) or make annoying comments like, "Oh yeah, honey, that's the car that gets 1000 miles on a set of tires." Or, "Yeah, but it's still a Honda!" Or, "$70K for a Honda?!"

Likewise, if I bought a C5 or anything else it really doesn't matter to me if it's common or not.

In fact, I sometime wish there were a few more NSXs out there. That would mean more cars and more deals. It would mean that Honda would be closer to making a reasonable return on their investment (The plant and car were designed for 6000 vehicles a year, not 100). It would mean more aftermarket support. And it would mean more local events.

I'm not saying Honda would have come close to Corvette production, but somewhere between 100 and 50,000 units per year there's a happy medium (like 2500 per year, IMHO).

Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for a 76-79 Honda Accord

A month or so ago, I went on a drive in my NSX and my friend brought along his new silver 2000 Lotus Esprit (V8 Twin Turbo)...a beautiful car. BTW, they improved the rear vision problem a bit by raising the spoiler.

Anyway, the thing I found most amusing is that when we had our cars parked next to each other at a Starbucks in Malibu, the Esprit grabbed all the attention, not my red NSX-T. Not that I mind, but it was a bit strange...

If the NSX had never been produced, I'd probably be driving a S2000 right now. Or perhaps I'd be fuming about how unreliable my Ferrari Testarossa is. Or I'd still be driving my old '88 Celica because I'd be saving up for a 360 Spyder.

------------------
--akira3D ('00 NSX-T red/black #113)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 22 May 2001).]

I would probably get the car I have dreamed about owning for years, even when I had my '94 NSX, a '93-'94 Ferrari 512TR. Now that these cars have depreciated from their original new price, they're actually fairly close to the price of a new NSX. I just would have to bite the bullet on the maintenance cost and the reliability issue. Personally I feel the 512TR is the best looking car Ferrari has made.

If I wasn't brave enough to get the Ferrari I would probably get the new 911, though I feel the car doesn't look half as good inside and out as the NSX does.

The Corvette would have been another option but having owned a '89 and '92 before I would be worried about build quality and reliability. If anyone has seen the Vet forum, the new C5s seem to be having oil consumption problems, steering lock that needs to be replaced, leaky fluids, gas gauges that go to zero when the tank is full and a host of other problems. I'm just glad the NSX is available and none of us have to decide what other car we must get now.

------------------
'00 NSX-T, silverstone/blk, #252

when I got my first NSX, I looked at a few other vehicles:
- Corvette C5 coupe
- Porsche 911 (early 90s 993 series)

Nixed the Ferrari 328 due to maintenance considerations (348/355 was too much $$ IMO). Ditto for Lotus Esprit S4.

C5 had more low end grunt, but engine sound and 'road in your lap' view made NSX SEEM faster. P911 driving position seemed too much like a "regular car" and it had some (comparatively) user-hostile ergos.

But we're talking fine points amongst three fine cars here.

Picked the NSX... four years, 1 NSX and $$ of mods later, have never regretted it. This one's definitely a keeper.

###########

If I had to do it over today:
- wish list: Ferrari 360 Spider
- track car: Corvette Z06
- daily driver: BMW M5

------------------
Manuel C
93 NSX S/B #394
93 300CE
93 NH750

I couldn't imagine my life without the NSX. It will take several cars to replace it. Since I am a huge huge Honda fan, I will get an S2000(supercharge) or an Integra Type R.

But I figure that these cars will not be enough for those late nights when I just want to fly. So I will have to sell my GS400 and buy me an R34 Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, and shelling out another $15k to unleash the beast to 700-800HP.

But it will never be the same
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 22 May 2001).]

For me, when I bought my NSX, September '00, I was looking at '90-'93 ZR-1s. I was pretty impressed with their performance and the engine was really solid. But the interior killed me. Especially, after sitting in an NSX. I think the ZR-1 would be a great track car b/c the interior is so . . . unimpressive . . . you could take everything out and blame it on the car being a track car. I really like the C4 body though. Always have. And there's a huge aftermarket.

I also looked at yellow '93 RX-7 R1's but could never find a good example. They seemed to all have something outrageously wrong w/ them.

The RSX Type R looks promising but I think the ZO6 would do it for me.

Ten years ago I was also looking at a Lamborghini Jalpa. Thankfully I bought the NSX instead. More recently the Lotus Elise and similar Vauxhall seem intereting (although neither are avail in the US) and the Honda S2000.

Originally posted by NSX2F1:
[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 22 May 2001).]

FYI the HTML file containing this thread became corrupt somehow. I had to edit NSX2F1s message and re-save it to fix the problem. I did not actually edit any content in the message, just re-saved it to fix the corrupt thread.

I am suprised that only one or two people said the S2000. Granted it isnt nearly as fast as some of the other cars mentioned above; it is a Honda afterall. The money I could have saved if I got an S2000 could have gone toward modifications. I have seen a supercharged yellow S2000 that was absolutely beautiful with yellow HRE wheels. Yup, S2000 is the way to go for me. Well I problably would also have gotten an Integra type-R and used the rest of the money to get a Honda CBR 1100
smile.gif

Seems to me that the Ferrari 355 is the most similar of cars to the NSX: Lightweight, mid-engined, similar acceleration numbers (to a 3.2L).

I'm considering one, but am not sure about reliability. I know the 355 was major step forward for Ferrari, and have read the comments of some people with friends who daily drive their 355s. But I haven't read any first-hand accounts of the ownership experience, and still have not found a good Ferrari forum.

------------------
Red (w/ red top) '91. Comptech Supercharger. RM headers. Comptech exhaust. Short ratio gears. Ring and pinion swap. RM racing suspension. 18/17 wheels/tires.

'98 Viper GTS. Red with no stripes. Stock.

Interesting that so many here would choose the C5 Corvette or a Porsche if the NSX were not an option.

While I've owned many mid-year big-block Corvettes over the years, I wouldn't personally want to own the C5 Corvette. I have many friends who do and they absolutely love them, and I know that the Corvette represents a tremendous bang-for-the-buck value amongst sports cars available. For me, however, I want something that stands out a little more (like the NSX), and is not as "common" as the Corvette. Here in Nashville, I've only ever seen one other NSX on the road, but new Corvettes are just about as common as seeing a woman driving a 6000 lb. SUV with a cellular phone permanently attached to her ear.

I will say though, that I have to agree with everyone about the Porsche. I guess deep down I'm a German car lover at heart. I just sold my Mercedes CLK430 Cab and purchased a 4700 mile Guards Red/Savannah Beige 1999 996 Cabriolet. Porsche makes a tremendous automobile, and I feel truly blessed that I am able to own both an NSX and a 996. Different cars, but both are world class.

Multisync23,

Go read up on the 355 on NSXfiles.com and it might change your mind about the car very quickly.

------------------
NetViper -= looking to get an NSX before I turn 26! =- Didn't make 25 :(

I personally don't agree with the "dime a dozen" view of the Corvette. For the many years I've owned three, I've had nothing but favorable compliments, tons of attention and lots of questions... and this is in LA. Many people in the US still see the vette as Americas sports car and appreciate what it is. It wasn't just a bang for the buck thing for me. I experienced a great pride of onwership while owning all three cars. If wasn't a fool and bought an auto C5, I would probably still own one. It was a blessing in disguise though, as that caused me to try out the NSX. There was no other step up from a corvette in my mind outside of a 911 Turbo or Ferrari which I couldn't afford.

for me, Ferrari F355, Porsche 993 or 996 TT, GT2 or GT3.

no way a corvette, reasons already covered. when looking a the cars I would have instead, the NSX is a relative bargain.

The NSX stock (my year 1998 with the 3.2) compares well against the 355, but lacks the badge factor.

The Porsche's I mention outperform the NSX stock to stock. But after a supercharger, brake, and suspension mods are made the performance is similar to the TT, at less price and IMO better styling.

vs. the GT's, the NSX gives up a little in performance but look at the price tags.

[This message has been edited by justin hall (edited 23 May 2001).]

I just got a clk 430 as a second car to my nsx. If there was no nsx i would have gone for the amg clk 55. the 430 is an awesome car
so i can just imagine how sweet the 55 is.
or i would get a used ferrari 355 just to be practical!
Paul M
1995 nsx t blk/blk
2001 mercedes clk 430

Since I don't have an NSX, I would have to approach this question a different way. What car would I be lusting after if the NSX wasnt around. Hmm.. it is a tough question. I am looking at 91 NSX's, so we are talking about the $35,000 range. What are my options? S2000, 93-95 lotus esprit, Ferrari 308, supra, and corvette. I have always wanted a 512 TR, but that is a long way out of reach. The Lotus scares me because of maintenance issues. The Ferrari is the same. I have never been crazy about the Supra, but it does have amazing performance and it is easy to modify. I do like the s2000 a lot (my friend had one). I was never a big boxster or BMW z3 fan, so I would choose the S2000 over both of those cars. Now, we are down to a corvette. For 35,000 I could pick up a 2000 vette with low miles and still have a ton of warranty left. I think that is the way I would go. Of course, an older M3 might do the job just as well.. Thankfully we do have the NSX, so I can stay fixated on one car.
smile.gif

------------------
NetViper -= looking to get an NSX before I turn 26! =- Didn't make 25 :(

A friend said it best in that the NSX isn't extraordinary in any respect with the exception of being an extraordinary well balanced exotic.

I have owned a 93 TT RX7, 91 TT 300ZX, both of which are fun cars, and the most similar to the NSX in my budget.

My latest toy, a Miata-R, has been a blast, and a great rag top on sunny days. I used to own a targa NSX, but wished to have a coupe like my first NSX.

Nothing out there compares to the NSX when all aspects of exotic/sports car ownership are taken into consideration.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

As another person without an NSX I also look at this question a little differently, I already had to pass up on the purchase of an NSX once because of its lack of a rear seat for the kids. Ended up with a Lexus instead

Having since got rid of the wife and kids (and most of the money in the divorce), there is no question in my mind that the NSX is the only automobile I would buy with my hard earned cash.

Back then, I looked at all my options and I lusted after the NSX, today I again look at all my options and still lust after the NSX.

If there was no NSX, then who cares what car I get, it just wouldn't be worthy.

As another person without an NSX I also look at this question a little differently, I already had to pass up on the purchase of an NSX once because of its lack of a rear seat for the kids. Ended up with a Lexus instead

Having since got rid of the wife and kids (and most of the money in the divorce), there is no question in my mind that the NSX is the only automobile I would buy with my hard earned cash.

Back then, I looked at all my options and I lusted after the NSX, today I again look at all my options and still lust after the NSX.

If there was no NSX, then who cares what car I get, it just wouldn't be worthy.

I lost my house and everything I worked for for twenty years due to a divorce in 1995. First gift I gave myself was 1995 Chevy Silverado Z71 4x4, cause I needed it for work. After several years of saving for the beatiful sports car I always dreamed of owning, there was no question that it would be an NSX. I bought a '93 last summer, and I'm totally in love. Around here there are just too many Porsches, BMW, Vettes, etc. The only time I'd ever consider Ferrari is if I won the lottery. Even then, I'd probably just buy a newer NSX.

Like Jimbo, I try to convince myself that I got the car for myself to enjoy and learn more about performance cars... Of course it always feel good to drive a fancy car in town.
smile.gif
The NSX was my dream car right after I aquired my first dream car the MR2. My MR2 was a '89, but it was so much fun. Since I got my NSX when I was 22, I could barely believe that I had gotten my dream car already... I barely got the loan, and I wasn't even sure I would be able to pay it all off at the time... but I was SO intent on driving an NSX.
smile.gif
Now I really don't worry about paying it all off anymore, but I still have at least halfway to go still. Most of my friends thought I was crazy, but I'm so glad I got it. Probably if the NSX didn't exist, I would have been comfortable driving my '89 MR2 for a couple more years and possibly would have gotten a S2000 or a Porsche Boxter-S.... I'm not crazy about the styling, but its the fun factor that counts in the end. The NSX does everything for me.
smile.gif
I kind of wish I was more patient and waited to get a different color... but in the end, its still a NSX and it goes FAST!

Back