Some incredible facts!

* One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock Hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At the stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F. (It explodes! It doesn't really "burn")

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from the heat of compression - plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* Launch acceleration is close to 8G's.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run still costs $1000.00 per second.

* Top Fuel Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you finish reading this sentence.

...and my NSX will still kill a top fuel dragster in the 1/4 mile going there AND back!
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Very neat facts. Some things there I did not know.But it still does not turn. IMHO That is the fun part.

Originally posted by steveny:
But it still does not turn. IMHO That is the fun part.
I saw a few of these at Sears Point on Monday (Memorial Day bracket event)... they DO turn on those skinny bicycle-ish front wheels -- very slowly.

We're talking laptimes you measure with a sundial here
biggrin.gif

I know a Formula 1 car will do zero to a hundred and then back to zero
eek.gif
faster than most street cars do 0-60!

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 01 June 2002).]

Back