sold nsx, new owner unhappy, need opinions

I sold my NSX over a year ago to a Prime member. I was very up front about the car: front end repainted, body work on the driver's side fender, particapted in the Players Run. All scheduled maintenance work was up-to-date with paperwork.

I had told him that the window fix-it thingies were installed because the guy I bought it from told me they were. Well apparently they weren't. They broke recently and the owner is unhappy. He is asking me to make things right.

I know his frustration because when I bought the car it had body work done (mentioned above) but it was not disclosed to me. I decided to live with it because it was bought as-is.

I'd like to do the right thing but I'm not sure paying for the fix is it. What do you guys think? Put yourselves in my shoes and let me know what you'd do.

Ha, just be greatful you're not in my situation when I got my car.

Anyways, as long as you told him "the previous owner said they installed them, I'm not sure about it though" then I wouldn't worry.

If the new owner had read up on the problem, he would have seen the symptoms and taken 30 minutes to check it out himself. Mine are still sitting on my dresser drawer waiting to be put in. I know I need to do it ASAP because I'll hate that big $$ repair if I don't.

I wouldn't do anything about it except refer him to a great mechanic. But if you told him that you know for sure they're installed, well then its a morality call.

They both broke at once? Isn't it more likely one would break first? Anyway. IMO he bought a used car with no warantee and its been a year. On the other hand, you told him the windows were fixed and they arn't.

If you offer to split the cost with him I think that would be most fair. Even if you choose to do nothing I don't see you as a bad guy.

I hope it works out ok.

Are you sure that the fix-it thingies were NOT installed? What I mean is, that the old style regulator was still there and it was the clip that broke? It's possible for an upgraded or new style regulator to break. It's less common than an old style regulator breaking, but... if so, then you would have no liability.

At a minimum, I would ask for a photo of the broken regulator...

As for what to do, it's strictly a judgment call. (But I am surprised that the current owner is even bothering to hit you up for a repair costing at most five hundred dollars, a year after the purchase.)

interesting situation...

Not knowing what state you and the buyer are in, I can't say with any degree of certainty, but it's unlikely that you have any legal liability for the window repairs. However, that being said, I'm going to pick up my new for me NSX in 2 weeks and I know I'd be really upset if that happened to me.

Perhaps you could offer, as another has suggested, that you split the cost with him and perhaps even offer to purchase the fix it thingys for him.

BTW, going off topic from the OP's post, what exactly are the symptoms of the window regulator problem?

Do the right thing, which is not necessarily doing exactly what he wants, but its doing what you know to be the right thing and you'll be in a good place (in your own mind).

Good luck.

Brian,
You better get that thing fixed before NOPI or you will be HATING it if it breaks there. :D Very hot in ATL.

As for the original question on this thread, I have to go with a couple of the other guys on here. The sale took place over a year ago and one just broke you shouldn't be held responsible for it.
Buying a used car from a private individual is a double edged sword. You normally can get a better price than a dealer but then it is up to you to face any challenges that come your way in the future. That is what 'As Is' means.

If you want opinions,then mine is "kinda silly for someone to expect a previous owner of a used car to take care of anything $ after 1 year."

My 2 cents: He is trying to guilt-trip you into paying for his expense. Same as the other guys are saying -- a dealer would give him 60 days, and you are not a dealer. In my line of work (electrical contracting), we give a 1 year warranty on NEW work. I think this guy is being a baby if he seriously expects you to pay. What is his suggestion? half-pay or full pay?

That's why he bought the car? The window fixit thingy was supposed to be in there? Good grief!

Man goes home to wife: Hey honey I got a new car! It was a great deal, it even has a new window thingy!
Wife: Oh you are soooo shrewd! You never have to worry about your thingy again! :rolleyes:

I would tell him "Sorry about that, but there's nothing I can do for you. Good luck".

I sold a used 98 Corvette convertible on Ebay a few years ago after owning it for 1 year. Guy has as much time as he wants to do an inspection, check it out, etc. No problems at the time of purchase. 3 months later he calls me and says the car had previous body work and paintwork and wants me to pay him $500 to redo it. Trying to be fair, I tell him if it is something I missed and I didn't disclose it, I would help out. I asked him to send me an estimate and I'd be at least willing to share the cost. Well, I get the estimate, and it's for $2k and includes all kind of crap like replacing a windshield, replacing the Corvette emblems, etc. I was so pissed I told the guy to go take a flying f***, and that I wasn't going to do squat for him if he was trying to play some stupid game with me. I ended up with negative feedback on Ebay from him, but I felt like my even offering to consider helping out was more than I owed him. After all, it's a used car with no implied or explicit warranty or guarantees. That's just the way it goes, so I say too bad for him. Everything was done in good faith, but there's only so much you can know about a car you bought used yourself.

I think you're too much of a nice guy Nicholas. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
If you want to clear your conscience, I would split the cost 50/50. But state you're are no way obliged and are doing it because YOU FEEL it's the right thing to do, and you're only doing it for this one item. (otherwise you could find yourself splitting the cost on all his other repairs :rolleyes: )

But only if you want to clear your conscience.

What if the transmission failed, or the engine failed, or the tires got a flat, are you responsible for that?

How about if the Bose speakers blew, or the tape deck died? Are you willing to pay for those items?

I'd love to buy a car from you if you'd be willing to cover these.

nicholas,

Sounds like you acted in "good faith" with disclosing what you knew about the car. That alone doesn't obligate you in anyway.

Buying any used car should always be "buyer beware". That's just common sense.

It's silly to expect you to pay for something breaking a year after the sale.

Just my $0.02.

mmm....................................... replace it for him! and if possible replace the clutch and timing belt for him too. oh yeah don't forget to have full detail done before you give the car back to him.

He bought the car "as is". Unless you specifically gave him in writting that you would warranty the car then I say he needs to leave you out of it. As others have said, it's been one year since he's had ownership of the car. You should have no remorse at all.

As others have said, "Give me a Break". When I bought my car, I found out a week later that the snap ring was broken and was in range when I was told otherwise, and he did NOTHING. That's a hell of a lot more than a window, so tell this guy that's part of buying a used car especially one that is 10-14 years old.

Nicholas,

Not sure how much I can add here, but I would like to weigh in on the "give me a break" side of things. What you described here is one of the hazards of buying something second (or third) hand. The main BENEFIT of buying second hand is that your buyer did not have to pay full retail with all of the priveledges and benefits buying new affords. Buying a used car also carries with it some inherent risks . . .

Now the reality is if something broke days or even weeks after the sale, I personally would likely "help out" with some of the expenses (without any legal obligations, only moral), but a year is far beyond where I would feel any sense of responsibility. Where the buyer took a risk in buying used; if you pay dollar one, you have taken the risk that maybe the window was mistreated in some way (Ever see a child enjoy the wonders of power windows? I have).

JMO, Kevin

After a couple of weeks or maybe even a month. But a year later, definately not your problem.

Back