Sold my 2000 NSX. Now what to buy?

No seller's remorse here! I had the standing offer for my 2000 NSX for over six months so I had plenty of time to think about it. Besides, I really liked the buyer so that always makes the transaction more fun!

I love change! I have had tow Hummers, two NSX's and four Corvettes (2 C6's, 1 C5 and 1 Z51) over the past five years. The NSX's were both pre-2002. That is why I wouldn't mind trying a 2002-2005 NSX at this point. My DD is my second Hummer which I am in love with!

I am pretty comfortable in life so I don't have to finance; cash only or I don't buy! This is my hobby and I can afford it...what the heck! Besides, I am fully retired, not on a fixed income, nor have any bills of any kind! Money Foolish - no; Enjoy life- yes! This is how I enjoy myself at the young age of 51.

I love the NSX; don't me wrong. I'd prefer to get a pristine 2002-2005, very low mileage NSX. But at what people are asking right now ($65 to $80k), there is no way! A very nice 1998-2001 NSX right now goes from the high 30's to high 40's. How can a car two years newer go for almost double that? I guess that is why there are several $60k to $70k NSX's sitting on the market right now!

I agree the NSX is a great car and aren't built anymore, but I just don't see them having this type of value right now. Most people wanting a NSX need to finance and there isn't very attractive financing for a $70k NSX right now! A good example is the low mileage 05 in California that has been on Ebay, Cars.com, Autotrader, Craigslist and everywhere else for over one year at $74k. Pretty hard to find someone to pay that kind of money even if it only has 7k miles!~

Maintenance on a 6 speed manual 360 Modena is not as bad as many think. No engine drop for a major (go through back of car), no F1 tranny to worry about, no F1 clutch to worry about, no convertibale roof to worry about. I understand a major is about $3-4k which really isn't all that bad.

There are a ton of Ferrari 360's out there in the low 70k range. I'd like to find a pristine one and give it a try. I always suffer from whiplash when one passes by me. I'd like to be on the other end of this and see how it feels!

Of course, I'd always go with a 2002-05 NSX, but not in the same price range as a F360...not now anyway! I had a chance to buy a freakin' perfect, completley stock, 2003 NSX with 2k miles last year for $57k. The original E-bay bidder backed out at $58k so the seller offerred it to me at my bid of $57k. I kick myself for passing that up! Oh well, wasn't meant to be I guess!

Thanks again for everyone's comments!

Last edited:
Forget your history with cars, forget the fact that you will soon be an owner of a f360, but I envy retired @51. Post pics when she arrives

I went to cars and coffee this weekend and passed a 360 on the way. He caught up and both of us ran together for a bit before we arrived. After getting to the venue, he found me and complemented my NSX, saying he had the 360 only a short time since his NSX was totaled. He concluded in enthusiastically saying that the NSX was the best car ever built and he really missed his. He said when I wanted to sell to let him know. Very nice guy.

Despite a load of F-cars, several people told me I had one of the nicest cars at the event. I love having something different. I had the only NSX there.

I think based on your grazing behavior, you won't be happy until you own an F-car, but I bet there will be another NSX in your future once you do!

Good luck with your decision.

Why isn't the Gallardo on the list? It's within the same price spectrum.

I've been tossing the idea of a Gallardo or 360 as my next addition. I keep getting stuck. I have another year or two before pulling the trigger.

Before I picked up the NSX I had the Exige, Z06, F355, 996 Turbo or a 2nd Viper on the list. It was a serious dilemma.

Acuman: Great response! Lots of class!

I kinda agree with you....I don't think I will ever be satisfied until I have a Ferrari or Lambo parked in my garage.

Don't get me wrong; I loved my NSX and would buy another if the right situation presented itself.

I went to cars and coffee this weekend and passed a 360 on the way. He caught up and both of us ran together for a bit before we arrived. After getting to the venue, he found me and complemented my NSX, saying he had the 360 only a short time since his NSX was totaled. He concluded in enthusiastically saying that the NSX was the best car ever built and he really missed his. He said when I wanted to sell to let him know. Very nice guy.

Despite a load of F-cars, several people told me I had one of the nicest cars at the event. I love having something different. I had the only NSX there.

I think based on your grazing behavior, you won't be happy until you own an F-car, but I bet there will be another NSX in your future once you do!

Good luck with your decision.

I'd love a Gallardo but they don't start until somewhere around $85k. I just can't justify that type of expense!

What did you think of the Exige? How about the Evora?

I'd pick an Evora up right now as used ones are cheap! My only concern is warranty work. I understand Lotus is in a bind right now and looking for captial to remain in business.

My other worry is there is only one Lotus dealer in Phoenix and they don't seem to be very busy! The previous Lotus dealership in town recently went out of business. What if the only remaining shop closed and I needed warranty work? It's a long drive to Los Angeles!

Why isn't the Gallardo on the list? It's within the same price spectrum.

I've been tossing the idea of a Gallardo or 360 as my next addition. I keep getting stuck. I have another year or two before pulling the trigger.

Before I picked up the NSX I had the Exige, Z06, F355, 996 Turbo or a 2nd Viper on the list. It was a serious dilemma.

I'd love a Gallardo but they don't start until somewhere around $85k. I just can't justify that type of expense!

What did you think of the Exige? How about the Evora?

I'd pick an Evora up right now as used ones are cheap! My only concern is warranty work. I understand Lotus is in a bind right now and looking for captial to remain in business.

My other worry is there is only one Lotus dealer in Phoenix and they don't seem to be very busy! The previous Lotus dealership in town recently went out of business. What if the only remaining shop closed and I needed warranty work? It's a long drive to Los Angeles!

You should always drive what you're considering (that's the fun part, as long as you can find examples), but in my experience, the F360 is so much more car than something like the Exige or Evora (though the new Evora S is getting great reviews). The F360 with a good exhaust (I drove one with a Tubi) is just an unbelievable drive - the sound, the smell, the steering feel, the slightly stubborn (when cold) gated shifter. It's old-school manly and new-school sophisticated at the same time. Get a 6 speed. There are faster cars, there are more reliable cars, but to me the F360 is the real bargain nowadays.

GT3's are fabulous too, especially the RS's, but I personally like the experience of the Ferrari much better (even though the Porsche is faster and more capable on paper).

Rob,

Sounds to me like even though you are talking Ferrari - you do have a budget and it sounds like it's under 100k or right around there. There are some great cars out there right now. But any of the really great ones are new and that's going to be around 120k +.

So I'd start with a budget. Porsches are great cars and now they've finally gone to an engine that really works well. The new DFI engine and it started production in '09. The models were limited - now they have a bunch of em. The GTS is a great car if you've been reading about Porsches you'd know you have a lot to choose from. I personally would find the GT3RS a bit too much for a road car - so unless you are Mr.Track - i'd stick with something a little more street comfortable.

You may find that a Ferrari is what you want - but I agree with Mlambert on the model! Wait on the 430. if that's what you want then wait for it.

Now if you are considering a used Ferrari - why not look at used Porsches and used R8s? The new 911 turbo is pretty damn awesome and I bet you'd be happy with a Carrera S! Test drive a few and then see.

Listen the NSX is a great car - we all know that but I have had a bunch of cars lately over the last 8 years and I like variety. I may sell my NSX and get another one - I don't know. I get itchy after about 2 years and faster and newer sure makes sense. I have a 91 coupe and I love it - it's a great car and it runs just right now that I've fixed everything on it but that still doesn't keep me from looking around. I might even go for the next gen NSX - the NA2. I would like to see what the 6 speed and 3.2 is all about. I may sell just to find that out. I don't blame anyone for wanting to experience a lot of cars - hell, variety is the spice of life they say and I've always lived by that. Well except where my wife is concerned - she's a keeper! But I digress.

You've surely heard and read the stories here on Prime about maintenance costs on Ferraris and Lambos! But hey, if you have the fun bucks - what the hell - only you know what is too much to spend. Remember it's the same deal no matter what you buy. Buy the latest model in the best condition you can afford! You stick with PPIs and good maintenance history and a private seller with records - you can't go wrong.

Have fun! Let us know what you decide and we want pictures.

Will do!

Thanks to all who posted!

Rob,

Sounds to me like even though you are talking Ferrari - you do have a budget and it sounds like it's under 100k or right around there. There are some great cars out there right now. But any of the really great ones are new and that's going to be around 120k +.

So I'd start with a budget. Porsches are great cars and now they've finally gone to an engine that really works well. The new DFI engine and it started production in '09. The models were limited - now they have a bunch of em. The GTS is a great car if you've been reading about Porsches you'd know you have a lot to choose from. I personally would find the GT3RS a bit too much for a road car - so unless you are Mr.Track - i'd stick with something a little more street comfortable.

You may find that a Ferrari is what you want - but I agree with Mlambert on the model! Wait on the 430. if that's what you want then wait for it.

Now if you are considering a used Ferrari - why not look at used Porsches and used R8s? The new 911 turbo is pretty damn awesome and I bet you'd be happy with a Carrera S! Test drive a few and then see.

Listen the NSX is a great car - we all know that but I have had a bunch of cars lately over the last 8 years and I like variety. I may sell my NSX and get another one - I don't know. I get itchy after about 2 years and faster and newer sure makes sense. I have a 91 coupe and I love it - it's a great car and it runs just right now that I've fixed everything on it but that still doesn't keep me from looking around. I might even go for the next gen NSX - the NA2. I would like to see what the 6 speed and 3.2 is all about. I may sell just to find that out. I don't blame anyone for wanting to experience a lot of cars - hell, variety is the spice of life they say and I've always lived by that. Well except where my wife is concerned - she's a keeper! But I digress.

You've surely heard and read the stories here on Prime about maintenance costs on Ferraris and Lambos! But hey, if you have the fun bucks - what the hell - only you know what is too much to spend. Remember it's the same deal no matter what you buy. Buy the latest model in the best condition you can afford! You stick with PPIs and good maintenance history and a private seller with records - you can't go wrong.

Have fun! Let us know what you decide and we want pictures.

Hey Rob,
I have to say that I know where your coming from. I too am a car enthusiast and I just see them as hobbies, I don't get too hung up about car and therefore never got into debates as to "which car is the best" to me they are all great and to each his own. I've been thinking about adding to my nsx and I have thought about the F360, I think they are a bargain right now and if I go that route I would get the 6speed, the F1 has had issues and I think in the long run it could cost you more than the manuel. I have been looking at these for couple of years but now my thought has changed, I would advise to wait and save your money and get a F430, I think this is a much better car than the F360 by far!. less maintenance(compared to other Fcars), and looks way better than the dated F360. the F1 has been improved so either manuel or F1 is fine. The only F360 that I would consider is the CS, I think that this car is going to hold its value in the long run and it is awesome, not a good DD, but doesn't look like that is a issue for you. Well good luck, it is always nice to be in your situation when you have to ask, "which car should I buy?"

Personally I wouldn't want to own a Ferrari these days. Of course I grew up lusting after them and wanting one in the garage, but Ferrari as a company has really let me and a lot of owners down. If you do some digging on f-car forums you'll start to peel back the layers.

These days I respect Lamborghini and Porsche much more then Ferrari as sports car companies.

Check out these links:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Look at the difference of an owner's car vs. a press car (on paper they should run similar times):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKjp1pq7iI

Personally I wouldn't want to own a Ferrari these days. Of course I grew up lusting after them and wanting one in the garage, but Ferrari as a company has really let me and a lot of owners down. If you do some digging on f-car forums you'll start to peel back the layers.

These days I respect Lamborghini and Porsche much more then Ferrari as sports car companies.

Check out these links:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Look at the difference of an owner's car vs. a press car (on paper they should run similar times):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgKjp1pq7iI

Didn't or do you still have that Silver F360 Coupe?

PKim...great advice! The only issue is the F430's are still over the $100k mark and that is still more than I could ever justify in my own mind to spend.

I agree with you on the F360 F1. Lots of horror stories out there! Manual is the only way I would go!

Hey Rob,
I have to say that I know where your coming from. I too am a car enthusiast and I just see them as hobbies, I don't get too hung up about car and therefore never got into debates as to "which car is the best" to me they are all great and to each his own. I've been thinking about adding to my nsx and I have thought about the F360, I think they are a bargain right now and if I go that route I would get the 6speed, the F1 has had issues and I think in the long run it could cost you more than the manuel. I have been looking at these for couple of years but now my thought has changed, I would advise to wait and save your money and get a F430, I think this is a much better car than the F360 by far!. less maintenance(compared to other Fcars), and looks way better than the dated F360. the F1 has been improved so either manuel or F1 is fine. The only F360 that I would consider is the CS, I think that this car is going to hold its value in the long run and it is awesome, not a good DD, but doesn't look like that is a issue for you. Well good luck, it is always nice to be in your situation when you have to ask, "which car should I buy?"

Back