Software upgrade.. New features, plus your "read" flags have been reset

I have the same angst for the new thread setup.To view all your subscribed threads in order like before you need to take a few more steps.First click manage subscriptions then click all subscribed threads.:confused:

I assume the "automatic view of thumbnails by holding the cursor over them" is a new feature. Anyway to turn it off on a per user basis? I suppose I could get used to it but as I sometimes scroll past a thumbnail I get the hourglass cursor as the forum s/w thinks I want to view the expanded picture.

Of course, the first time I got the expanded view I didn't realize it, hit the back button and wound up leaving the thread. :frown:

If there's no way to turn it off I can just live with it.

There is no way to manage it on a per-user basis, but I just changed it globally so you have to click on the thumbnail to get the large view.

- Bad news: It always displays 250 topics, not just those that have been updated since the last time you logged on. Good news: It delineates between those that have been updated since then and those that haven't, with a note to that effect at the start of the older ones.

I'm not really clear on the down side of the "bad news" part of that...

I have the same angst for the new thread setup.To view all your subscribed threads in order like before you need to take a few more steps.First click manage subscriptions then click all subscribed threads.:confused:

If that's something you use a lot, you can set up a bookmark directly to "view all subscriptions": http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&daysprune=-1&folderid=all

You can do that for pretty much anything you access via your user control panel.. Just copy the URL.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our queries Lud,,but now this computer iliterate needs to figure out how to copy the url and to what?:redface:

RE: There is no way to manage it on a per-user basis, but I just changed it globally so you have to click on the thumbnail to get the large view.

Thanks! It seemed to be a feature that might impact forum performance.

Thanks for taking the time to answer our queries Lud,,but now this computer iliterate needs to figure out how to copy the url and to what?:redface:

The easiest way is probably just to go to the "view all subscriptions" page and then add it as a bookmark in your browser.

RE: There is no way to manage it on a per-user basis, but I just changed it globally so you have to click on the thumbnail to get the large view.

Thanks! It seemed to be a feature that might impact forum performance.

I don't think it will impact forum performance, but I can see it being annoying to have a mouse hover pop up a bigger version of the picture, esp. on a mobile device.

There is no way to manage it on a per-user basis, but I just changed it globally so you have to click on the thumbnail to get the large view.
Thanks!
icon14.gif

I'm not really clear on the down side of the "bad news" part of that...
It's not really a big deal. However, formerly, you could click "New Posts" and you only saw a list of the topics updated since the last time you logged on (or posted or refreshed a screen). If there were 10 topics updated, you only saw 10. Now, you get ~250 topics (five pages) even if the number updated was fewer, so you're not just looking at the ones updated since your last visit.

As I say, not really a big deal, just different from the way it was (anything that's different means you have to get used to it).

A suggestion if it hasn't been addressed - editing a post for typo or whatever immediately after posting, even within the first 30 seconds - shows "last edited ....." whereas previously I believe one had about 2 minutes to make changes.

I think allowing a few minutes helps to make sure the spell check caught everything or if a minor edit is needed it's done before signaling that the original post was amended as it leaves a reader guessing unless the edit is explained ....... the previous option was better IMO.

A suggestion if it hasn't been addressed - editing a post for typo or whatever immediately after posting, even within the first 30 seconds - shows "last edited ....." whereas previously I believe one had about 2 minutes to make changes.

I think allowing a few minutes helps to make sure the spell check caught everything or if a minor edit is needed it's done before signaling that the original post was amended as it leaves a reader guessing unless the edit is explained ....... the previous option was better IMO.

I agree.

I agree, too.

Now you can edit within the first 30-60 seconds without the message. But before, I think it was set to allow 15 minutes before the edited message would appear. I thought that was about right.

Any update if this feature can be changed?

I have another annoyance.if someone has a quicker workaround let me know.My issue is that I use the new post feature to set up my prime surfing.if I find a new post that I want to respond to with a searched thread(usualy to help noobs) the post I want to respond to has fallen of the list,then I have to go to the general forum to search through all the threads to find it.I keep forgetting to remember what forum the post is in to help speed my return to it.:redface:

Any update if this feature can be changed?

I'm not planning to change the edit notice time.

I have another annoyance.if someone has a quicker workaround let me know.My issue is that I use the new post feature to set up my prime surfing.if I find a new post that I want to respond to with a searched thread(usualy to help noobs) the post I want to respond to has fallen of the list,then I have to go to the general forum to search through all the threads to find it.I keep forgetting to remember what forum the post is in to help speed my return to it.:redface:

I'd suggest opening a new browser tab and using that to perform the search. Then when you find the thread you want to link, you still have the original message open in the other tab.

Thanks Lud ,that was my workaround!

I'm not planning to change the edit notice time.

If it is a simple edit to the notice time, may I ask then why not since more than one party has suggested it?

I'd suggest opening a new browser tab and using that to perform the search. Then when you find the thread you want to link, you still have the original message open in the other tab.

As John said, that is what we are doing - going through at least 3-4 new clicks to get back to the topic, hence the recommendation!

If it is a simple edit to the notice time, may I ask then why not since more than one party has suggested it?

Because I prefer the way it is currently configured.

As John said, that is what we are doing - going through at least 3-4 new clicks to get back to the topic, hence the recommendation!

I didn't see any recommendation related to the issue John brought up. I saw a a problem he was having and a request for advice. Perhaps you can clarify what the recommendation was? Also, if you follow what I recommended in my reply to him, it is actually one click to get back to the original topic - just clicking that browser tab.

I see you edited your first and more to the point response - the e-mail notification has a different version than the one above :wink:

As for the second inquiry, yes you are right if the reply is done immediately. But previously, if I am not mistaken, a post that was read still remained on the 30 day running list of post read or not read. So retrieval was quick. Now, it drops off once it is read so one has to go back to the search mode if the reply to the post is not done immediately. YMMV.

As for the second inquiry, yes you are right if the reply is done immediately. But previously, if I am not mistaken, a post that was read still remained on the 30 day running list of post read or not read. So retrieval was quick. Now, it drops off once it is read so one has to go back to the search mode if the reply to the post is not done immediately. YMMV.

Yes, you are correct in your description of how the software worked before and how it works now.

This is technically the correct way for it to work, in that once you have read a message it is no longer considered "unread."

I am still not clear on what, if any, recommendation was being made on this issue.

Not to belabor this, the option/solution would be similar to the one where now, if you use the previous arrow on the browser it shows in faded blue color the post(s) just read; but if you refresh you lose that history.

So, for all those posts that say are moving 7 days (or 3 days, or even 48 hours ...), those that were read would remain on the list and be reflected with a faded color whereas the unread ones still remain in darker blue. Wasn't this the way it was before?

Not to belabor this, the option/solution would be similar to the one where now, if you use the previous arrow on the browser it shows in faded blue color the post(s) just read; but if you refresh you lose that history.

I do not think that exact scenario is even technically feasible. It is definitely not supported by the software.

So, for all those posts that say are moving 7 days (or 3 days, or even 48 hours ...), those that were read would remain on the list and be reflected with a faded color whereas the unread ones still remain in darker blue. Wasn't this the way it was before?

Hmm. Sort of. Except it didn't run for days (cookie timeout was a few hours as I recall) and without the part about refresh losing the history. It also had a lot of other shortcomings. I'm not really inclined to go back to the old way.

Back