SO who on here has built a turbo set up for thier car?

what exactly did you do?
it seems like everyone does something alittle different and i am curious who did what and how.....
just wondering....

Not on my NSX, but on my Grand National I had a turbotimer built into the alarm. Crimestoppers have had turbo timer features on their remote start alarms ever since I could remember. I would start the car with the remote. Then when I would get ready to turn the car off, just hit two buttons I programmed on the remote, removed the key, left the car, and armed the alarm. 5 minutes later, the car would turn off.

i built one for my NSX. used a t3/ts04r, built a 2-into-1 merge collector to connect to the stock headers, 3" exhaust, usuing the moroso spiral muffler. Bulit a custom closed circuit oiling system with cooler & pressure regulator. 440cc injectors with emanage (ignition circuit didnt work). Tial 38mm wastegate, greddy blow off valve, spearco air-to-water intercooler, jabsco water circulation pump, a whole slew of Greddy guages. The pictures are still are on my homepage.

I since sold all the pieces to various prime members, to purchase a widebody conversion, and to buy 2 extra NSX blocks, and 2 entra NSX trannys. Now i'm just waiting for a good deal on a set of heads to come my way.

If you are looking for specific details, or hints, or suggestions..... email me and we can talk in more detail.

-Ray [email protected]

Mark911 said:
Not a turbo, but just something I slapped together in my garage with basic materials and handtools.
I'm seriously impressed. How's she run? Details, Mark!

I have to say, although I don't think I would have done this to my car, I am really impressed. If you take a closer look at this, the amount of work that went into it looks tremendous!! I would really like to know more specifics....

But, I don't believe this line....
I slapped together in my garage with basic materials and handtools.
I'm sure you didn't just "slap" it together, and hand tools?? A welder isn't really a "handtool"

Sig said:
I am surprised there wasn't any duct tape used.

that's not that impressive. If He was able to macgyver it such that it doubled as a Ronco Rotisserie for tailgate parties, now then i'd be impressed.

I knew I’d be in for some smack when I revealed my little project on the board, but it was my way of illustrating the point that if you’re not happy with the crop of aftermarket FI options available today, an individual can design, develop and fabricate a system himself or herself. I my case, I wasn’t quite happy with the Gruppe M system I bought. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good bolt-on system capable of 5-6 psi boost & 350 plus hp on my otherwise stock engine according to Autowave’s dyno (using an AEM ECU). It’s just that my calculations showed that the M90S blower should be capable of producing more. This was particularly apparent at higher rpms (flow) where boost would decline. I know the VTEC is a marvelously efficient system, but even it tends to drop off volumetrically around 6500 rpm. The rub is that the M90S’s VE continues to increases at higher rpms. Lower engine VE plus higher SC VE should equal MORE boost pressure, but it didn’t. My suspicions proved correct as I measured some significant pressure losses at various points from the TB to the main intake manifold at higher flow rates. As with many bolt-on systems, compromises must be made in the design to order to utilize as many “stock” components as possible. In this case, I suspect the design integration and subsequent component layout of the system had a few inherent issues inconsistent with optimal airflow. My design was an attempt to optimize the performance of the M90 by removing (or mitigating) airflow losses starting from the cold air entrance all the way to the intake valve (while adding an intercooler to keep my IAT reasonable). When I was done, the only parts of the Gruppe M system left were the blower, belt, and the two idler pulleys. The only stock component left alone or unmodified was the airbox base. To make up for the loss of boost pressure due to density change and even add a pound or so I’ll be spinning the blower a bit faster but still within design limits. I’ll consider it a major success if I pick up another 60 hp (over the Gruppe M) with a nice torque curve and low IAT. If you’re curious, you can see all the other wacky mods I’ve done to my car by going to www.nsxregistry.com. You’ll need to “sign on” but that only takes a minute. Go to “find owner” and filter by “last name” between letters C and C. Find my name (Christman) and click on the little tire in front of my name. At the top right hand corner click on “complete car history” then click on the little camera above my Avatar. It’s amazing what one can do with some creativity, a mill, a lathe and some welding equipment . . . . . By the way, anyone want to buy a Gruppe M system less the blower?

Back