So what officially killed the NSX?

The NSX's purpose was only to show FIAT and the other crap HOW to built the better car using new technologies and that Honda was capable of much more than winning F1 championships. Loosing $50-100k per car is economical suicide if you don't sell Civic's but they had the balls to let it live till 2005. So the question should be: Why didn't they kill it much earlier, let's say 1996 or 2001?

After the death of Soichiro Honda the management lost their incentive for a similar car like the NSX. Please remember that it was not Soichiro Honda's intention to build a car with which they will certainly loose money. Again, the NSX at his early time was lightyears away from the other crap and technologically a masterpiece of engineering. (and some stupid people just critised the lack of HP or whatever).

So one reason why the NSX was not replaced for so long, let's say till 2001, was because it was techn. advanced enough to keep up with the others.

Two things really killed the NSX and they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.

1) Slow sales...

Which was caused by Honda's failure to market and update the car properly.

carmar said:
This might sound odd but I personally think the two factors are its reliability and price.

The NSX is so reliable that it does not have alot of R&D (new features) to add into their "later" models and yet its price was always on par with other "up to date" sport cars.

For example, look at other sport cars such as Ferrari and Porsche, they are always on the move to improve their reliabilities, performance and safety features. Of course, the NSX was definitely, the wake up call for all of them in the early 90s.

I'm not sure I understand this post. If you're suggesting the NSX was so good it didn't need updating you're both right and wrong. It didn't need updating to keep up with its competitors but it did need updating to keep up the sales.

Lexus has no problem constantly updating and improving their cars and they are among the most reliable in the world. Ferrari and Lambo's reliability has been very linear over the years with a surge in the 90s after the NSX was introduced. The F430 isn't really a huge improvement over the F360. They still catch fire. :rolleyes:

I think what you mean is that if you're going to price a car in a certain range it needs to be comparable in every way to be successful. Porsche is very good at updating and marketing their products and as a result are very, very successful. Is it necessary for every car maker to update as much as Porsche? Probably not. But you have to at least put an effort forth unlike Honda did with their day-late, dollar-short update approach with the NSX and S2000.

I'm sure Honda really had no issue making NSXs even into 2005 in spite of each NSX being sold at a loss. It employed people and the NSX was never meant to be a per-car profit maker. It's very feasible that pending changes in safety/emissions regulations played a large role in the demise of the NSX.

Which was caused by Honda's failure to market and update the car properly.

I'm not sure I understand this post. If you're suggesting the NSX was so good it didn't need updating you're both right and wrong. It didn't need updating to keep up with its competitors but it did need updating to keep up the sales.

Lexus has no problem constantly updating and improving their cars and they are among the most reliable in the world. Ferrari and Lambo's reliability has been very linear over the years with a surge in the 90s after the NSX was introduced. The F430 isn't really a huge improvement over the F360. They still catch fire. :rolleyes:

I think what you mean is that if you're going to price a car in a certain range it needs to be comparable in every way to be successful. Porsche is very good at updating and marketing their products and as a result are very, very successful. Is it necessary for every car maker to update as much as Porsche? Probably not. But you have to at least put an effort forth unlike Honda did with their day-late, dollar-short update approach with the NSX and S2000.

I'm sure Honda really had no issue making NSXs even into 2005 in spite of each NSX being sold at a loss. It employed people and the NSX was never meant to be a per-car profit maker. It's very feasible that pending changes in safety/emissions regulations played a large role in the demise of the NSX.

Porsche is focused on making sports cars and that's all. They are a one trick pony albeit a very smart and capable one. Naturally, Porsche management are obsessed with their cars daily. Honda, on the other hand is focused on improving and changing the world to enhance our quality of life. Factors such as $100 oil a barrel, atmosphere pollution, global warming, ozone depletion.... will effect all of us. Honda recognized these problems years ago and are attempting to help the world cope with these issues. Projects such as the new Honda Clarity hydrogen gas vehicle and the Honda Jet take tremendous R&D, resources and investment. If Honda were like Porsche and channel all their brilliant engineers and money 24/7 to making sports cars, can you imagine how good they can be? The NSX is an important vehicle but not a top priority project for Honda at the moment. I hope one day the NSX will be a major priority again. In the mean time, I forgive Honda for neglecting the NSX while trying to save the world.

Two things really killed the NSX and they're not necessarily mutually exclusive.

1) Slow sales.
2) Honda's unwillingness to update the NSX to comply with 2006 side impact protection requirements.

1) I agree. I think its because they didn't market them well enough. Not many people even know about them.
2) I didn't know that...just don't get T-boned I guess.

The NSX's purpose was only to show FIAT and the other crap HOW to built the better car using new technologies and that Honda was capable of much more than winning F1 championships. Loosing $50-100k per car is economical suicide if you don't sell Civic's but they had the balls to let it live till 2005. So the question should be: Why didn't they kill it much earlier, let's say 1996 or 2001?

After the death of Soichiro Honda the management lost their incentive for a similar car like the NSX. Please remember that it was not Soichiro Honda's intention to build a car with which they will certainly loose money. Again, the NSX at his early time was lightyears away from the other crap and technologically a masterpiece of engineering. (and some stupid people just critised the lack of HP or whatever).

So one reason why the NSX was not replaced for so long, let's say till 2001, was because it was techn. advanced enough to keep up with the others.

Excellent Post...I wondered about that.

Porsche is focused on making sports cars and that's all. They are a one trick pony albeit a very smart and capable one. Naturally, Porsche management are obsessed with their cars daily.

It has not been very long ago where Porsche was near to bankruptcy, no wonder by the outdated products they had at that time. They came back like a phoenix from the ashes with new management, new models and most importantly modern design (ok, personal preference: I don't like it :wink:). If they take over the lead over VW they are a full supplier. Unfortunately Mr. Piech who nearly ruined VW in the last years plays an too much important role. :(

I think it's interesting that in 2006 they sold 1400 Vipers.

In 2007 they sold 435.

Honda got bored, and turned boring as a company. They lost interest in most of the performance car market and really did not do too many significant things. I mean, when you have a 2005 NSX-T that lists at almost $90,000, has only 290 hp, and still has a TAPE DECK in the dash, you know the company stopped meaningful development long ago. How freaking hard would it have been to put in a CD player in the dash? I mean, come on. :confused:

I don't understand Mitch. How are we supposed to play our Jon Secada tapes without one?:confused:

Mission accomplished. Pull out and start with clean sheet of paper.

Just to let you guys know, I was T-boned in my 91' buy a drunk driver in a very large Cad. She must have been going 30 or so . I was not hurt. I am now on my second 91'.

I guess that's why Porsche has no plans to bring out a hybrid Cayenne yet! I read somewhere, Porsche averages $28K profit margin per vehicle it sells -Unbelievable!

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119313&highlight=porsche+profit

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90164&highlight=porsche+profit

Porsche has the highest profit margins of any car company. Infact when the economy was at its bottem 02 Porsche still had profits incredible.

It has not been very long ago where Porsche was near to bankruptcy, no wonder by the outdated products they had at that time. They came back like a phoenix from the ashes with new management, new models and most importantly modern design (ok, personal preference: I don't like it :wink:). If they take over the lead over VW they are a full supplier. Unfortunately Mr. Piech who nearly ruined VW in the last years plays an too much important role. :(

During the early 90's Porsche was competing against the Japanese sports cars which cost less and had to improvise on the 911. It was during this time the Boxter was created which some argue saved Porsche and allowed it to be what it is today.

Mr Piech IMO has done some wonderful moves such as acquiring Lamborghini and improving on their image, and the Bugatti Veyron. The Semi auto disk by VW is what everyone looks to, including Porsche.

Mr Piech IMO has done some wonderful moves such as acquiring Lamborghini and improving on their image, and the Bugatti Veyron. The Semi auto disk by VW is what everyone looks to, including Porsche.

The old guy was nearly ruining VW by aquiring those 'toys' which lowered the value of VW at the stock market, so Porsche can take over VW for little money. That's pure politics and intrigue and reminds me of the other super-mario-guy Jürgen Schremp at Mercedes who failed too. Too bad, the old guy is back.

i would agree.

i heard that and also something to do with 2006 stricter(is that even a word?) emissions laws

this is what i was told :smile:

The NSX is pretty clean running.

My car almost passed smog with NO CATS, comptech exhaust, headers, and all the other crap in my sig.

The old guy was nearly ruining VW by aquiring those 'toys' which lowered the value of VW at the stock market, so Porsche can take over VW for little money. That's pure politics and intrigue and reminds me of the other super-mario-guy Jürgen Schremp at Mercedes who failed too. Too bad, the old guy is back.

Piech's philosophy in Automotion management is a long term one. I do see your point.

The NSX is pretty clean running.

My car almost passed smog with NO CATS, comptech exhaust, headers, and all the other crap in my sig.

A stock NSX is a clean running car but I do not believe that it will pass current emissions standards for a new car.

Back