so i bought a new car.....

Ojas, i have been considering the LWFW as i know the car will be needing a clutch so....

Hey now, I believe I suggested the lightweight flywheel first. Let's give credit where credit is due..... :D

And later on if you feel this car is still just not right for some reason, call this number, 702-644-3278 and ask for the "500 package" ;)

Not everyone is going to come in here and love the NSX right of the bat. That's why there are other cars out there to choose from. Maybe the NSX isn't right for you? I don't know. I think if you're going to keep it, it would just take time to get used to it. That's all. At least you're going to see the right person off the bat (Basch).

White92 said:
Hey now, I believe I suggested the lightweight flywheel first. Let's give credit where credit is due..... :D
You only suggested it first if you are one of the "people" mentioned in the first post in this topic, where it says, "i have had people say i need gears, FI, LWFW."

try turning off the traction control (available in 92?) and possibly start removing stuff that you don't need. Spare tire, passenger seat, etc. There was a post of someone that did that along with modifications. It had a huge difference.

Marc, one thing that I told you last week when you picked the car up was to take those 19" wheels off if you want to go fast. Maybe some of the guys here will back me up on this one. 19's are show not go ;) . It will make a big difference in how the car accelerates and how it handles.

Marc is a good friend of mine that is looking to do some cool things with this car, I've told him about the negatives and the positives about the nsx and he has decided to make a go at it, so cut him some slack and give some helpful suggestions. :D BTW the clutch needs to be replaced too.

My suggestion: clutch, lwfw, headers, gears/r&p and a 50 shot. You'll never drive that POS Audi again. :eek:

Last edited:
01blacks4 said:
i have been considering the LWFW as i know the car will be needing a clutch so....

when you replace the clutch, why don't you add short gear and 4.55 R&P at the same time. It will be so much more fun to drive.

I am planning on doing the same when I need new clutch.

SNDSOUL said:
Marc, one thing that I told you last week when you picked the car up was to take those 19" wheels off if you want to go fast. QUOTE]

19's!!! No wonder it feels slow! You are talking about a car that came with 15/16!!

nsxsupra said:
when you replace the clutch, why don't you add short gear and 4.55 R&P at the same time. It will be so much more fun to drive.

I am planning on doing the same when I need new clutch.

I looked at doing that, what a HUGE expense. Everyone says you save so much in labor... not true. It added a LOT to my quote. I will pass.

Try a lightened flywheel + 4.55 ring and pinion + short gears.
This combo makes the car feel quicker and rev faster.
Add a turbo setup and then you'd probably get the "push" you seem to be looking for.

NetViper said:
I looked at doing that, what a HUGE expense. Everyone says you save so much in labor... not true. It added a LOT to my quote. I will pass.

Adding the R&P job does not "save" you labor on the clutch job.

It saves you 6-8 hours of labor at a typical shop to do them both at the same time versus doing one and then going back and doing the other.

If this is not how it worked at the shop you got the quote from, I'd seriously question the shop.

xsn said:
Adding the R&P job does not "save" you labor on the clutch job.

It saves you 6-8 hours of labor at a typical shop to do them both at the same time versus doing one and then going back and doing the other.

If this is not how it worked at the shop you got the quote from, I'd seriously question the shop.

I was quoted I think $700 for labor to do the clutch and if I wanted to do short gears at the same time, like $1400 in labor.

marc, glad to see you found one you liked.

There's just no way that nsx is as fast as his S4. He has something like 550 crank HP! so maybe that's the problem.. he's used to 550 hp, and then drives a 270 hp car...

As for taking the car to mark's this friday, call to make sure, but i think mark had something going on that was going to take about a week of his time... tho he does have the two or three other techs working for him..

Marc, actually i'd like you to re-demo my car. it has started feeling significantly faster in the last week as the temps have dropped.. :)

if y ou want to keep things simple, do I/H/E.. that should bump you to 290+..

01blacks4 said:
oh yeah and its 330 and 285 lbs. not 300 each.

I'm certainly not a speed expert, but several things jump out at me here:

1) 330 and 285lbs? You're adding 615lbs to the car and complaining that it's slow? I weigh 145lbs, and when I add even another 150lb passenger I can tell a difference. I can't imagine what an extra 500 would do. Even if you're by yourself, that's a big difference.

2) 19" wheels? You've lost some serious mechanical advantage here. Consider some smaller wheels.

3) Did you drive a 97+ first, then get your 92? A power difference can be felt...

My 0.02..

mojo said:
I'm certainly not a speed expert, but several things jump out at me here:

1) 330 and 285lbs? You're adding 615lbs to the car and complaining that it's slow? I weigh 145lbs, and when I add even another 150lb passenger I can tell a difference. I can't imagine what an extra 500 would do. Even if you're by yourself, that's a big difference.

2) 19" wheels? You've lost some serious mechanical advantage here. Consider some smaller wheels.

3) Did you drive a 97+ first, then get your 92? A power difference can be felt...

My 0.02..

he was joking about the weight :p

NetViper said:
I was quoted I think $700 for labor to do the clutch and if I wanted to do short gears at the same time, like $1400 in labor.

OK, and how much to do each as as separate job? Until you know that you can't determine if you are saving by doing them together or not.

xsn said:
OK, and how much to do each as as separate job? Until you know that you can't determine if you are saving by doing them together or not.

Oh, I am sure there are some savings by doing both at once, but it is not a freebie like what has been said many times on this site before.

Personally, I could not justify it. Thats just me.

01blacks4 said:
oh yeah and its 330 and 285 lbs. not 300 each.

Sorry for the wise guy weight comment. :o
This car is expensive to mod for a major horsepower boost, except if you go NOS.
What sets the NSX apart from so many other cars is the balance. When you start to fiddle to make it something it is not and, was not meant to be say,a 400-500hp 11 sec torque monster, you begin to undo what it was designed to be.
I recall fellow NSXCA member Miled telling me about a conversation he had with some folks at the Tochigi factory(forgive me Miled if I paraphrase) but the question was why they didn't make the engine more powerful? The response was that they could have done anything they wanted to. They started with a clean sheet of paper and this was what they wanted to make, not just strong in any one area but a balanced, precision made car. After 13+ years it still is a impressive package but people now want more of everthing. A Ferrari 308 is a great car but it has so many shortcomings when compared to recent, new offerings but, it is still a great car. To take a 308 and start fussing with the engine/drive train and suspension kind of unravels the character that makes the car what it is and, it to some degree it is the same with the NSX.
(By the way I am guilty member of the marching mod parade and don't scream I know the 308 is not in the same class :) )
The NSX has held it place very well against many newer, more modern offerings, better I'd say than most that were designed during the same period.
I shouldn't of come off so short, and I apologize but I was sincere in saying that it may not be the car for you. It is for me. :D

Last edited:
SNDSOUL said:
Marc, one thing that I told you last week when you picked the car up was to take those 19" wheels off if you want to go fast. Maybe some of the guys here will back me up on this one. 19's are show not go ;) . It will make a big difference in how the car accelerates and how it handles...

Yes, this might be a good source of your problem. The large amount of unsprung weight that is being added to your NSX via the boat anchor 19 inch wheels you evidently have is a good place to start in order to fix the slow feeling that you have. Just to see what I mean, try and remove those wheels and drive your car again with a set of the OEM wheels and you will see what I mean. Most of the 19 inch wheels out there weight several times what the OEM wheels do. The tires also weigh more. That stuff all adds up.

Back