• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Snap ring?

Hello everyone!

I have a collegue in the market for an NSX. One that he has located (1991) has the VIN# in the snap ring range. However, the Acura dealer invoice copy that he was provided as part of the car's extensive records states that the trans. was "checked for snap ring failure" per customer request. The snap ring, misc. seals/bearings were replaced and Acura goodwilled the case. Work was performed at 18k (car has 30k currently) miles. Question is, does this level of repair stated indicate that indeed failure occured, or not? Either way, since this issue was in fact addressed, is it still an issue? Or with the snap ring repair completed and the car has logged +10k miles additionally, does
it place this (or a similar) vehicle in the same "company" as a non-snap ring affected car? I would think that the fix is just that. A dead issue at this point. Any thoughts?

If it was repaired properly, then it should indeed be a dead issue. The one item you did not specifically mention among the components replaced is the transmission case - that is the root of the problem, not the snap ring itself. I would hope that if repaired by Acura dealer that would be a matter of course.

D'Ecosse,

He actually did mention the case was replaced:):

"The snap ring, misc. seals/bearings were replaced and Acura goodwilled the case."

I agree with you, it is good to go.

HTH,
LarryB

Funny, the first time I read that statement, I assumed that "the case" referred to the upper transmission case that needs replacing. But when D'Ecosse asked about it, I realized that "the case" could also just refer to Acura goodwilling the service involved (e.g. "the case file").

Thanks everyone! And by the way, "case" did refer to the transmission "case". It's amazing how everyone interprets things differently. Good point though, NSXTASY. BTW, I will change my ID soon- I don't want to appear as if I don't have any creativity.

So, this one is good to go. Just wondering if this repair was indicative of an actual failure or preventive maintenance. After Acura goodwilled the trans. case, the total for all other parts/labor at the Acura dealer was $970. Does this figure correlate/substantiate anything?

Thanks again!!!

Ok, as I mentioned, everyone interprets things differently. The lack of creativity is on my part, and refers to my user name appearing as if I copied NSXTASY's, and not to imply anything less than cordial to NSXTASY. :D Hope that is sufficient online etiquette.....

Back