small survey

being in the northeast wanted to know how many of us put the cars away for the winter and when do you decide to put away..temperature ,debris on road etc.. do you put away for whole winter or take out from time to time weather permitting.mine is away already tucked in and plugged in...being that it is washed every time used and never been in the rain it wont come out until spring...just want to know if I am not alone to at-least some degree...thanks for time...it is not that I don't love using the car...it is a few factors involved..
I have two young kids that require car pools and the gear to go along with those activities
I don't drink ever so when wife makes plans I end up always driving so the other guy/couple can drink freely..
I work less than a tenth of mile from my home...walk weather permitting
I also don't like to park my car in my office for my patients to see...most of my patients are in some type of pain and feel down and I don't like to make them any worse or be that guy who flashes all the stuff..i practice in jeans
so I average about 150 miles per year that it....

like to hear if I'm nuts or not alone

you aren't nuts.....just living your life .....my car is beyond garage queen so weather permitting i'll exercise it over winter.I have two small kids as well and just try to keep bicycles from falling over on it.

I use mine in the winter... provided there is ZERO salt (has to have a soaking rain once or other rain enough to wash away all salt).

washing it... now thats where it gets fun. but still gets done.

When not "in use", it's covered, plugged in, and clean. For the most part, after Thanksgiving, unless it's a beautiful, clear day, and above freezing by a few degrees (mid 40's or warmer), it'll stay that way. Give me a clear relatively "warm" January day, I'll take it down and for a drive. If those types of days don't present themself, than I'll wait until spring.

The car goes in it's bubble before the salt hits the road. Only comes out for detailing or maintenance. It would have to rain alot to get rid of all the salt that gets dumped on our roads in the winter

glad to see i am not alone....and that i am not over the top in how i take care of it.....no i am not ready to sell...enjoy knowing i have her and that she is becoming more rare and harder to find.....safe travels to all this winter....year anniversary of super storm sandy/.....make this year and easier one for all

I still drive it. I try to wash weekly still and do more frequent rinses once salt is spread on the road. I try to put extra layers of wax before it gets too cold. The winters have been pretty mild in the DC area the past few years though. If the snow is too much to drive through, I'm working from home.

I plan to wash and wax before the final storage. Plug it up, cover it up and wait for a sunny 50 degree day to go for a drive or until the spring shows back up.

- - - Updated - - -

I plan to wash and wax before the final storage. Plug it up, cover it up and wait for a sunny 50 degree day to go for a drive or until the spring shows back up.

My 92 gets put away as the weather gets bad. I clean it each time I drive it so little needs to be done cleaning wise but prep for winter storage or when going away for several months does take some time. My steps are : inflate the tires ;mouth balls under the car; steel wool on exhaust tips; battery charge, two car covers a silk one directly on the car and a older cloth one on top of that ; baking soda in a box in a plastic bag on the inside floor; some times I even put it up on stands .am I going over board ?

I always put mine away in fall (October, typically) and took it out again in spring (April). In between, I never drove it; it just sat. I kept an automatic charger on the battery, and covered it up; that was about it.

Also, I always called my insurance agent to have them take the car out of service. This means that the collision and liability coverages are suspended, although comprehensive coverage remained. This saved me about 80 percent on my insurance bill (it was about one-fifth the amount it otherwise would be). My insurance company in Illinois let me do this for up to six months a year. Those who take their cars out occasionally during winter probably should not do this, or else might suspend their coverages, then call your insurance agent to get it reinstated for a day each time you take it out.

To me the problem is the sand and little stones used on the roads for traction.
Sand and stones abrade panels. damaging the coatings, chips panels, clogs air filters and wedges in places causing wear.
Salt? Of all the things that could get on my car it's of a significantly lessor concern for me than dirt, sand, stones and other ilk.
The biggest concern should be your tires and how they perform in the lower temps.

To me the problem is the sand and little stones used on the roads for traction.
Sand and stones abrade panels. damaging the coatings, chips panels, clogs air filters and wedges in places causing wear.
Salt? Of all the things that could get on my car it's of a significantly lessor concern for me than dirt, sand, stones and other ilk.
The biggest concern should be your tires and how they perform in the lower temps.
Actually Joe, all of your concerns are good for your business!! Let people go out and drive in the snow, with summer tires on! Let the sand and stone abrade the panels, Vince's does great work!!!!

I'm in CT. Short Answer: Away late December and back after street sweepers go out (April-ish). Once there is a snow and they start sanding or salting the roads, I pretty much put the car away. This generally happens in Dec. That said, if there is a good rain after a snow and the roads are pretty clear, I will drive it from time to time short distances. I don't pull the insurance anymore. I did once but it didn't save much. I also alway pull it in the drive way ever few weeks and let it run for 20 minutes to get good an warm.

I'm 25 miles from work. Never drive in the rain unless surprised. I drive to work once a week with it. I got up to 120k miles on my 92 and put almost 10k on my 2000 now in 2 years. Generally I don't worry about mileage at all, although my current NSX has 53k miles and I dread the visit to Larry B at 60k (well, I financially dread it as I change absolutely everything he even dreams could be an issue).

That's my strategy. I'm now and avid AMMO NYC detailing follower after meeting Larry Kosilla. Nothing but AMMO products touch the car now. Overkill? Maybe, but my judgement of that guys concern for doing what's right with his products is rock solid (hopefully that image doesn't get tainted). Also, AMMO is not cheap but on the grand scheme of things it's not that crazy (very unlike the carbon fiber steering wheel I want that is $1500, or the supercharger.... or the Advans.... or the...........................

I take mine off the road after they sand/salt. Throw a dealer plate on it if the roads are clear just to exercise it occasionally. It sits in a heated garage on a float charger all year. I only take it out on nice days, and occasionally to work.

Last edited:
nice to see i am not alone and we all have a little OCD when it comes to our cars....lets hopefully all get through this winter and look forward to wonderful spring and summer months of carefree driving....this spring gonna bring the car to detailing dynamics in mineola..spoke to the owner and he said it takes three days to completely detail the car..they take everything apart and it more than just a wax...figured nice to do in spring...will let you know..price is about 800...

Bwaah...........if you can make it through all the snow here we sometimes get then it wouldn't be a problem, but sometimes I have a problem getting my MDX into the driveway. We use way too much salt for ANY vehicle up here in the GWN and seem to wash my car 4-5 times per week as it is. It's not the risk but more the other drivers who can't drive worth a crap that scare me...........mine got put away really early this year :rolleyes:

I drive mine as long as there isnt salt or snow all over the roads like a few have said. Shit I will jump in it and drive it with the top off in the dead of winter. I just throw on a thick coat and wear a sock hat and grow a pair lol. Last winter my car only sat for three weeks and I started going nuts.

I always put mine away in fall (October, typically) and took it out again in spring (April). In between, I never drove it; it just sat. I kept an automatic charger on the battery, and covered it up; that was about it.

Also, I always called my insurance agent to have them take the car out of service. This means that the collision and liability coverages are suspended, although comprehensive coverage remained. This saved me about 80 percent on my insurance bill (it was about one-fifth the amount it otherwise would be). My insurance company in Illinois let me do this for up to six months a year. Those who take their cars out occasionally during winter probably should not do this, or else might suspend their coverages, then call your insurance agent to get it reinstated for a day each time you take it out.

Great advice right here.

This being my first winter with my NSX I am going to be light on the car but I will drive it as much as I can until it starts to snow or as joe said the temps are super low . Car is definetley being covered from December until mid February

I have a problem getting my MDX into the driveway.

I did too. The 4wd system is not the best design for snow. I had a second wet of wheels and tires for the winter with snow specific tires (Blizzaks) and only then did the vehicle behave like a proper snow vehicle. Still got that winter set of tires/wheels though the MDX is long gone.

The first drive in my 91 Sebring Silver was in the middle of February shortly after 12" of snow fell. Roads were clear and dry except for the curvy, twisty country road that turned to gravel (and mud and snow). Washing the car with buckets of cold water (since the faucets were shut off for the season) was not fun, but the drive was worth it.

Our new to us 91 Red/Ivory will most likely venture out when the sun is out and the roads are dry. That pretty much covers over half of the winter around here. I'll drive it when I have time and that is more likely during the winter for me. Now I just have to figure out how to get Don to wash the car. Hate cold water.

The first drive in my 91 Sebring Silver was in the middle of February shortly after 12" of snow fell. Roads were clear and dry except for the curvy, twisty country road that turned to gravel (and mud and snow). Washing the car with buckets of cold water (since the faucets were shut off for the season) was not fun, but the drive was worth it.

Our new to us 91 Red/Ivory will most likely venture out when the sun is out and the roads are dry. That pretty much covers over half of the winter around here. I'll drive it when I have time and that is more likely during the winter for me. Now I just have to figure out how to get Don to wash the car. Hate cold water.

Tell him it's Alan's, he'll even detail it for you!!!

Drive the damn car for pete sake! Just watch the salted roads and if you contact some, a self serve car wash will get it off.
Life is short and these cars can take the elements.

First year I had mine I drove it whenever possible through the winter when it was dry and salt free. The following years I stored it through the winter just like all other anal OCD NSXers. Then last year I drove it only 3 times and this year it never came out of storage since last year and probably won't until next year. Though I will have a registration/inspection issue if it is no registered over a year. Can't register it unless you inspect it, won't pass inspection unless you drive it 50 miles or more to reset the ECU, can't drive it unless the registration is current...this is a NY DMV circular argument. Don't have the time to go to DMV and beg for a 10 day temporary reg to drive it...so it may be easier to let it laps and just do all the paperwork over again next year...provided I have the time to take it out of storage.

BTW the problem with the salt is getting into all the nooks and crannies under the bodywork and front compartment, you really gotta rinse that out really well.

Tytus

Back