Slight float/shake in front end

My car felt very floaty and unstable at speeds above 95mph last year.

Mine is at any speed above about 10mph. It feels "loose" and "disconnected". The PO had 19s on the car which makes me think the shocks had to work overtime.

An example is:

I was slowing down under light braking from about 30mph as I approached a stop sign. The road was fairly rough. Under braking I felt the car "skipping" over these rough spots and felt I was actually losing control of the car. Which caused me to press harder on the brakes.

I think this is because the shock was not reacting fast enough to keep the car "planted" to the rough road.

Last edited:
Mine is at any speed above about 10mph. It feels "loose" and "disconnected"...

I know when I've driven EPS NSX's that it felt like they were a little less stable than the early NSX's. Maybe this is what you are feeling since you went from a 1991 to 2005 NSX? It just seems unlikely that there is a serious suspension/wheel problem with a newer NSX.

This is NOT A pillar shake. I have driven many Targa's and they are much better. When I bought the car I knew it was an issue but it was in need of an alignment since it had 19s on it. After the alignment it felt better but still not great.

Do you know of any other owner near by? Does the dealer have an NSX there? It would seem quite simple to swap your fronts with another car and check the results.

If all these folks just "looked" at the tires, but did not swap them and test, I think a lot of the comments are speculative. I would get a front set off of a perfectly running NSX, and give it a try, before throwing new parts, like shocks/springs at it. I would find it very unusual that 10K miles and you have bad OEM shocks.

My $.02
LarryB

Good points Larry. There are 1 or 2 nearby.

I ordered the Bilsteins anyways as I wanted to get the lowered perch setup.

I will do the wheel/tire swap and Bilsteins in parallel and hope all my problems are solved.

I will do the wheel/tire swap and Bilsteins in parallel and hope all my problems are solved.

I would not recommend that. Swap the tires first to find your problem. If you want Bilsteins after that go for it:).

Regards,
LarryB

Back