Slight float/shake in front end

So I have a slight shimy/shake in the front end. It just doesn't seem like the steering is completely "connected" to the front wheels.

I had an alignment done and I think its better but still this shake. Maybe its just my getting used to the Targa because my last NSX was a coupe.

Tires are the right pressure. Meaning not low and not high.

When I was driving cars to buy the other one I liked felt much more solid.

Is this just normal Targa feel? Should I get some sway bars? Could my steering rack be loose? I think they would have seen/felt that during the alignment, for sure.

Thoughts?

While this could be any number of things related to the front suspension, on my car( with the exact same feeling when I first got it), it turned out to be the tie rod ends. Although I replaced my, I subsequently learned that shims can be used to tighten them up, if there not totally shot.

What year is yours?

I just can't believe my tie rods would be shot at 10k miles.

The PO had 19s on the car which I am sure did not help.

Tie rod end. Not expensive replacement.

Last edited:
If you feel the float/shake at speed the tires could have delevoped flat spots due to the vehicle sitting. However, since you mentioned the previous owner had after market rims this may not be the case. I had a coupe previously as well and I have always thought the targa felt "loose" at least with the top off by comparision.

If you feel the float/shake at speed the tires could have delevoped flat spots due to the vehicle sitting. However, since you mentioned the previous owner had after market rims this may not be the case. I had a coupe previously as well and I have always thought the targa felt "loose" at least with the top off by comparision.

Its actually more at lower speeds. The tires are almost brand new as they sat (covered in a garage) for 3 years.

I will have the dealer look at the tie rod ends. I just hate for them to drive the car, at all.

My '04 is tight, smooth and solid, even compared to a coupe. If it's not tie rods I would check the tires as they can flat spot from sitting, (deformation flat spot) especially if the car was put away on a hot day after being driven and the pressures were not increased to 50 PSI for storage purposes. I used to have this problem with my MR2 if I didn't drive it for a long time. It would take anywhere from a few minutes to days of driving before they came back to normal.

It could also be that the tires were flat spotted from a spin or sudden skidding stop, (ground down deformation flat spot) if the ABS didn't do it's job. If that is the case shaving the tires may help, but usually it means replacement.

Good luck,

Tytus

Thanks Tytus. I know first hand what flat spots feel like and this is not that. Its just a general looseness that I can't figure out. Off to the stealership!

Is your roof on or off when this happens?

I've noticed that nsx-t that i've driven /w roof off feel "looser" / shake compared to my coupe. W/ the roof on, it's a little looser, but not really too noticeable.

Is your roof on or off when this happens?

I've noticed that nsx-t that i've driven /w roof off feel "looser" / shake compared to my coupe. W/ the roof on, it's a little looser, but not really too noticeable.

Both. Its not an A pillar shake which IS attributable to the cut off roof. This is a "between the steering wheel and tire" issue.

Thanks.

Its actually more at lower speeds. The tires are almost brand new as they sat (covered in a garage) for 3 years.

I will have the dealer look at the tie rod ends. I just hate for them to drive the car, at all.

I can't see it being bad tierods. Not at 10,000 miles. 3 years in a garage not moving, yes I would lean towards a tire issue.

OSUgrad--it does sound strange for the tierod ends to be worn w only 10k miles. My car is a '92 and had around 55k miles on it at the time. Also, a contributing factor to my car was the fact that the po had 19" wheels on the front with oversized tires mounted. Not only did it look idiotic, but I'm sure they put excessive stress the tierods.

I believe as light as these front ends are on these cars, the wrong wheel/tire combo can can feel funny. Do you still have the 19's up front?

a contributing factor to my car was the fact that the po had 19" wheels on the front with oversized tires mounted. Not only did it look idiotic, but I'm sure they put excessive stress the tierods.

Thats what I was thinking. Thanks.

I believe as light as these front ends are on these cars, the wrong wheel/tire combo can can feel funny. Do you still have the 19's up front?

No OEMs are back on.

If tires are worn or cupped the steering feel can be described as floaty,and even though you might have a new set of recently balanced tires I can tell you that if they did not use a newer roadforce balance machine there could still be a slight imbalance causing a shimy.

A "floaty feel" is not the same as a vibration/shimmy.

The most common cause of a vibration/shimmy is an abnormality of the tires/wheels; they could have been improperly balanced (or a weight fell off), or a manufacturing defect may be present, etc.

Assuming you have a vibration, the first thing you should do is to swap the wheels/tires with a set known to be good (either yours, or one belonging to another owner in your area). If the vibration is still there, it has nothing to do with the wheels/tires; if it goes away, then it's a problem with the wheels/tires.

All good points. I think its a combo floaty / shakey feel. I think, however, its more of a shake now.

I will take the wheels in to be balanced and try that first.

Thanks.

I had the front wheels balanced today. One was fine and the other was "out of round". Not a flat spot that I could see but it kind of wobbled when they spun it. It may be a separation of the tire!

These tires have about 1000 miles on them and are OEM. The tire shop is going to call Bridgestone on Monday and see what they will do.

At the very least I am buying 2 new front tires :frown:

Last edited:
Latest update. Two other tire places say the fronts are fine. Original shop now agrees saying it was just a slight flat spot. WTF?

Anyways, I still have the shake and I think its getting worse. Its specifically tied to road conditions so I think its a shock.

Took it to the dealer and the tech drove it and said "drives great!". I asked him when he LAST drove an NSX and it was 4 months prior. Doh! So dealership won't replace the shocks because they are not leaking.

Im not sure what else it could be. Seems like I have exhausted all leads.

Think I will just get some Bilsteins and hope they help.

Did you replace the tires? I had a belt separation once on an MR2 in the back and they (the tire dealer) replaced it with 2 new tires as the tires changed in their design and they had to keep the tread pattern the same on the axel. This was warranteed by Dunlop. A belt separation is possible in your case. It wasn't evident until they took the tire Off the wheel. They even gave me a used temp tire to get me home while the adjustment process was being handled by Dunlop. BTW my tires were about 10 months old and had about 1,000 miles on them, the car was stored for quite a while during that period.

Good luck,

Tytus

Did you replace the tires?

No. I was assured by 3 shops that they were ok. They have about 90% tread left so felt that was unnecessary.

I should, however, follow Kens advice and drive on someone else's wheels/tires to see if that makes a difference.

My car felt very floaty and unstable at speeds above 95mph last year. I replaced the shocks and springs and it now feels much better, but my NSX is a '94 and those parts were probably at the end of their useful life. I would not suspect this to be your problem with a 2005, but it is indeed strange.

Back