Site revenue ideas

I guess I don't understand what is costing so much for the site. It's just a vbulletin site.

For $200 a month on host gator you get a ton of bandwidth On a dedicated server. What am I missing?

Well I guess that I don't use hostgator, and that hosting isn't the only cost, and that if I had more revenue I could do some more interesting things with the site (like pay someone to help me get the WP migration moving).. But also that I wasn't asking for money, it was just some people brainstorming. :-)

I would suggest a listing fee of $10 for anything over $100 in the marketplace and leave the current system alone. Say 100 items are listed per month, that's another $1000 per month new revenue.

I'm not going to say I'm entirely opposed to straight charging for the classifieds.. I expressed a pretty strong "information should be free" philosophy above, but commerce isn't the same as sharing information so I could be OK with it.

However, I don't even know how to implement a way to charge for a number of listings. Is this through a plugin or something? It sounds interesting. There is still a fundamental problem with the safety of the current system that I need to fix too.

Lud,

i strongly share your POV on "information should be free", and you can see that from my posts, my build and stuff, where i put as many data as i can so everyone else can find through a search.

But i think that selling/buying parts does not fit into that, because there is a direct money/parts transfer, and is made through this site. And one high value asset you have is the enormous visibility that this site gives to an ad and the big member list that sellers/buyers can take advantage of.

So, is more than fair that you use that to generate revenue. And it can be done in a very fair way to everyone.

I for one am all for paying a annual membership, like $100 (it's a fair value to me), but it can be less.

I also think that vendors (like official companies) should have a higher membership cost than regular users

Bottom line:

- Site is free for everyone to read/write minus marketplace
- Have to me a member to read/write in marketplace (other conditions may have to be met like membership time, number of posts, etc)

Thanks,
Nuno

Well I guess that I don't use hostgator, and that hosting isn't the only cost, and that if I had more revenue I could do some more interesting things with the site (like pay someone to help me get the WP migration moving).. But also that I wasn't asking for money, it was just some people brainstorming. :-)

I'm not going to say I'm entirely opposed to straight charging for the classifieds.. I expressed a pretty strong "information should be free" philosophy above, but commerce isn't the same as sharing information so I could be OK with it.

However, I don't even know how to implement a way to charge for a number of listings. Is this through a plugin or something? It sounds interesting. There is still a fundamental problem with the safety of the current system that I need to fix too.

I am not really sure of a good way to do the pay for post. Does vbulletin have plug ins like wp?

What do you need help with on wp? Let's chat.

Back