Sinking feeling about Transmission

Ever since I got the car last year I have been a little unhappy with the way the car shifted. Transmission was notchy and very.... well, lets just say it wasnt smooth.

Got some advice to change the trans fluid, figured that was just a band aid solution.... its been a few weeks now and from the second I drove away from the dealership the car is a different animal!

Its smooth
Its precise
Its awesome!

So if you ever get that feeling like your trans is not doing well, do the fluid. I can honestly say that from my perspective it felt like a whole new trans.

It really is amazing...

Anyone else surprised by the stunning difference new fluid can make????

Jason

Not surprised at all. Anyone who has ever owned one of the DSMs with a 4G63T (turbo eclipse/talon/GVR4) knows exactly how much difference the stuff you pour into the gearbox can make. Even my old S2000 benefitted noticably from a fresh batch of gear oil in the trannie.

Tranny oil may seem just like a bandaid, but it is important to think about what all those oil molecules do to make things stay properly lubricated, even under the conditions that they are in. (If you run synthetic, thats just a bonus, I like my Redline)

I also changed my tranny oil in commuter and it also shifts much better as well. A sometimes the simplest things make a huge difference. =)

Since it was at a dealer, I assume it got the "White Cap" Honda MTF. Love this latest version, the stuff is really good:).

My car have no record of the tranny fluid ever been change. Its a 93 witg 43k on it, im thinking its should be time to change for the piece of mind, even though I dont drive it much. Summer project.

3 qts. - 2.9 qts. is the fill qty

30K miles or 2 years

HTH,
LarryB

If you track the car often, you might want to change it more often. Remember watching a BM video where the head of Spoon (I think) mentioned something to think about:

oil - has filter, has cooler. tranny fluid - no filter, no cooler. :cool:

Last edited:
Are there any write-up for changing the MTF? If not, does anyone want to chime in on how to do it. Also, how much is 1 qt of white cap MTF.

Fluid is about $6 per quart at dealer.

Remove the drain plug - drain fluid - replace drain plug - refill with 3 qts. (the refill is the plug about halfway up the tranny above the drain on the drivers side - use a tube attached to a funnel to get it in there). Easy DIY!
Good luck!

Fluid is about $6 per quart at dealer.

Remove the drain plug - drain fluid - replace drain plug - refill with 3 qts. (the refill is the plug about halfway up the tranny above the drain on the drivers side - use a tube attached to a funnel to get it in there). Easy DIY!
Good luck!

Remove the refill plug FIRST. That way if you can't get it off, you don't have a car with an empty tranny if you need to take it somewhere. :wink:

Since it was at a dealer, I assume it got the "White Cap" Honda MTF. Love this latest version, the stuff is really good:).
larry,i have gm synchromesh in my trans right now,which works great,really smooth shifting.how does the honda stuff compare to synchromesh,and is the acura mtf the same as the honda? thanks

I had a pretty noticeable grind from 2nd to 3rd about 4 years ago when shifting at or near redline. Used GM syncromesh mix and after about 1k miles it was cured. It's about time for a change and perhaps I'll go with the white cap fluid.

larry,i have gm synchromesh in my trans right now,which works great,really smooth shifting.how does the honda stuff compare to synchromesh,and is the acura mtf the same as the honda? thanks

Yes, the Honda MTF is the same as the Acura MTF.

People have said that using the synchormesh cocktail may pre-maturely wear down your synchros. I have the synchormesh in my car and like it a lot. But it is more expensive than Honda MTF.

Yes, the Honda MTF is the same as the Acura MTF.

People have said that using the synchormesh cocktail may pre-maturely wear down your synchros. I have the synchormesh in my car and like it a lot. But it is more expensive than Honda MTF.
thanks.i think i just have the straight synchromesh,not the cocktail with part friction modified.

Whats the BEST fluid to use? I might as well change that while my car is on jacks.

Honda MTF (White Cap)

My NSX has used Honda MTF for 83,XXX miles since 1991 and when we opened up the box to do my short gears, the gears and synchros measured close to the brand new spec. I cannot imagine why someone would put fluid into their very expensive transmission and differential that has not been tested and validated by Honda for that application. When the OEM stuff is cheap and works so well, why take the chance?

Remove the refill plug FIRST. That way if you can't get it off, you don't have a car with an empty tranny if you need to take it somewhere. :wink:

Good point!

They used the honda white stuff.... nsx mechanic said the same thing, use the stuff honda validated for the X. He said the most important thing is to change it about once a year if you drive spirited or every other year if you drive normally. (slow)

18 bucks in fluid but they charge 99 for the service! I will be doing it myself next time. While I was at it I did the oil (royal purple) and a coolant flush. Car was taking a while to warm up - now she warms up much faster (at same OAT). Heater works better too. Didnt think I had a problem but every so many years it makes sense to change out the fluid I guess. Car feels much more alive / newer now.

Summer gas may have something to do with this too - who knows

Back