Shouldn't I hear a fuel pump sound from starting key pos.I to pos II?

Hi Guys!

I have a non-starting NSX issue. Without going into detail, should I hear the fuel pump when turning the key from key position I to position II before the car turns over (position III)? The car has been sitting for several months and will crank but not turn over. I checked battery connections on 4 year old battery, ordered new ignition switch and main relay (not in yet), and am just curious about this possible suspect (fuel pump/filter).

Also, I haven't been on the board for several years (kids), and my old entry info did not work and so i "re-registered". Has there been a new moderator recently?

Hope eveyone's "baby" is well,
Thanks in advance,

:confused::confused::confused:

Yes the pump should run for a couple seconds when turning the key to the on position. If not, the main relay is a good thing to suspect.

In the service manual, there is an easy way to bypass the main relay as a test, which will cause the pump to run constantly when the key is on.

Last edited:
Well, that wasn't it.

1. Replaced relay
2. Replaced Ignition switch
3. Put in 1 gal new gas (the car has been sitting...A LOT)

Still cranks but won't turn over.
My next suspects???
1. Fuel filter (never changed I think)
2. Fuel pump - still not hearing it buzz click when turning key.

Any input is greatly appreciated..Thanks in advance.

G

The service manual describes how to bypass the main relay to make the fuel pump run. You could be missing the signal from the ECM to the main relay. Or the pump may not be working. You could test the fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge on the fuel filter. You could bypass the fuel-pump resistor (I might try this first).

Back