Should I sell the NSX?

Turbo2Go,

The only car I see in your future is a Porsche GT3 or GT2. Otherwise you need to keep the NSX.

I have 3 friends who have GT3's and all of them track the monsters. To me its the one track car with history, pedigree, and all of the track goodies without going FI, larger brakes, etc. Its an amazing car right from when you drive it out of the showroom floor to when you exit pit lane and drive home. The GT3 is a complete "all round" sportscar.

There are so many great deals on these cars and PLEASE don't listen to the "rumors" of Porsche reliability. Spend 6 months to a year on www.rennlist.com and you'll understand the truth about 911 ownership. I'm not saying 911's are perfect but neither are NSX's.

I recently bought a 1998 Porsche 911 C4S (993) and it too came with a cassette deck. But the car is utterly amazing when I turn it on, blast it around corners, and seats my wife and daughter. Get what turns you on and forget about the loss of money spent on mods because its the opportunity cost of enjoying your NSX. Like others have said you should be able to re-coup 60-70% of the cost if you sell the parts here on Prime.

Have you tracked a GT3? Do it.

Last edited:
I'm at that point where I'd have to drop even more money in to get all this stuff installed.

I wish now I'd kept the car bone stock.

Solution to buyers remorse of mods is to spend more on mods. Got it.

Wait, what? Is this some kind of object lesson on cognitive dissonance?

If you go porsche, GT2!!!

I personally had the same thoughts before buying my first 05, and just like DC935 it all came down to what i use the car for.

if you track it most of the time, think about what your friends drive and if they experience the same problems you do and if you can live with them. then think about what else you may want to not have the same thing.

I dont see myself selling my car for a while, but my last car i had for almost 10 years and knew it was just "time to sell it" b/c i didnt get the same happiness with it i once did.

Best advice given on here! If you can't recandle this relationship than you need to divorce her and find your self a new hot chick that can satisfy you just like your "ex " did!!! But if you can live with her flaws then you need to renew your vows and live happily ever after, the end.

Last edited:
The NSX still turns me on very much. My question was more motivated by financial advice but I guess sports cars aren't financial tools anyway. I think once I get all my stuff installed the nsx will be perfect. A huge part of my frustration is that my car isn't running perfectly. There's a vacuum leak or a problem some place and the engine still misfires on occasion. I think if this problem did not exist and I had a smoother clutch that didn't shudder as this almost worn one does, I'd be very happy. I also have a pile of parts that I haven't had installed and I need to stop buying more shit and get these on the car. You guys make a great point that a wise financial move of not modding and selling the car still puts you at very high insurance rates for another exotic type car nevermind the maintenance. The money you spend on maintenance and insurance on an Italian exotic pays for a lot of aftermarket parts so perhaps I should look at it in this context. I'll keep it for now as I just can't find another car that I like as much in the near price I'll get for this one. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:
You are not alone. I just got my car for a year and I thought about selling it a few times too. For the amount that I bought and modded my car, sometimes I wonder if I could just buy a 997.1 gt3 instead.

Last edited:
mo' mods mo' problems... very rarely can you modify a car a lot without some sacrifices or some problems. diagnosing a modded car becomes an issue too. strip it to stock, fix all the problems, and enjoy it how a Honda was meant to be enjoyed. rock solid reliable and slow. if you can't fix it, dump it on someone and get one that isn't ruined. :wink:

Taking it to Larry B to sort out any issues and installing all the stuff. Screw it. I love the car and have so much into it I may as well keep for now. When I sell, I will part out the mods and go back to stock. Probably for a new NSX but I'll wait for an R version. Not paying top dollar for a first year car.

:) I have heard Larry is a little busy lately!

Just to give an example of how busy, I have not had to defend him on a speeding ticket in quite some time. The "non-winter" we had resulted in a steady stream of cars. I had to get him out of bed early yesterday morning just so he could do my tech inspection for Watkins Glen (he ended up taking my car out in his jammies - and they were a onesy........)

Yes Bob, I know. Not happy about it but what can I do? I will probably lose a whole summer of driving and track time because of this. I have no other choice. I don't really want to take it to anyone else. I'm just hoping and praying he can help me out in time for me to not miss the entire season.

Just to give an example of how busy, I have not had to defend him on a speeding ticket in quite some time. The "non-winter" we had resulted in a steady stream of cars. I had to get him out of bed early yesterday morning just so he could do my tech inspection for Watkins Glen (he ended up taking my car out in his jammies - and they were a onesy........)

What Bob, NO PICTURES???? you could have at least put them on facebook. :)

What Bob, NO PICTURES???? you could have at least put them on facebook. :)

Now what makes you think that there is anything that I don't photograph. :biggrin:

Ask, and ye shall receive..........

i-bVh8DVc-X2.jpg

Taking it to Larry B to sort out any issues and installing all the stuff. Screw it. I love the car and have so much into it I may as well keep for now.

After reading your last post about the rough running engine I was about to suggest exactly this course of action. I think THIS will be the best money you have spent on the car to date and in the end you will rediscover that happy-motoring feeling. Also don't forget to park the car and just look at it while enjoying your cool beverage of choice or a morning cup of coffee every now and then. This can be surprisingly theraputic.

The only car I see in your future is a Porsche GT3 or GT2. Otherwise you need to keep the NSX.

TURBO2GO,

I ask myself the same exact question every day. I love it but havent driven it since NSXPO and sadly, Im not even craving a cruise. I love the car and while Im not going to sell it, I need a GT3 or 911 Turbo.

I'm in a similar position as you.....life is short so if you see another car you want, just make the move.

If not, keep the NSX - very simple!

Just ignore the rest of the replies as every person has their own opinion but in reality, it's your money not theirs so only you know best. It's easy to make recommendations when they are not writing the check.

Money is money and we spend it for enjoyment. Cars like this are always an emotional purchase.

I love my NSX, we used it in our wedding and it's truly a special car that will always have a place in my heart. However there are other cool cars out there I'd like to try too.

I'm in a similar position as you.....life is short so if you see another car you want, just make the move.

If not, keep the NSX - very simple!

Just ignore the rest of the replies as every person has their own opinion but in reality, it's your money not theirs so only you know best. It's easy to make recommendations when they are not writing the check.

Money is money and we spend it for enjoyment. Cars like this are always an emotional purchase.

I love my NSX, we used it in our wedding and it's truly a special car that will always have a place in my heart. However there are other cool cars out there I'd like to try too.

Just ignore the above. :wink:

Just ignore the above. :wink:

Well the other alternative is to KEEP the NSX and pick up a GT3, GTR or something that begins with a "GT" j/k

I would love to have a F430 / NSX garage combo but I don't think wifey would allow that...haha

Back