Should I sell my NSX?

Just start driving it....if you sell it you will be depressed. The only way to get over your fear is to drive the car and see that everything will be okay. I have been driving mine everwhere for several years and been fine, so have many others on here. Do not be afraid, young Jedi....go forth, and drive your NSX. :)

I still think you should sell the NSX and modify your existing S2000.

For less than $10k (1 year NSX depreciation), you can upgrade your S2000 with the 04+ bodywork, larger wheels/tires and a Comptech supercharge. You would have a killer S2000 that should be faster than your NSX.

I think I am going to weigh in here… I’m the guy that is in the process of selling the Black ’91 NSX with 32,900 miles that everyone is raving about over on the buy/sell forum calling me crazy and congratulating “FastRunner” for his great purchase.

I bought my NSX back in 1991 as the original owner. It has been a fabulous car. I love cars, and it has been a joy to own the car that is so phenomenal that many other manufacturers aspire to copy it. Whenever I would take my 14 year-old car out, it would still turn heads in snobbish Beverly Hills or West Los Angeles… and that is amazing.

I work in the film business making television commercials, specializing in car commercials. I have even shot national TV commercials for the NSX, twice in fact. You can see them on my web site, go to: http://www.wfb4.com and click on the “Demo Reel” link. When we shoot these various commercials, we hire professional racecar drivers to drive for us. You have not lived until you have done several smokin’ miles along Highway 1 in Big Sur, with Rod Millen driving, engine howling, all four wheels drifting, 1’000 feet of cliff to the crashing waves. Steering with the throttle along the cliff edge… What cliff? “I think ‘kin take this guy in front if you like,” he says politely in his NZ accent, downshifting and slamming the camera against my face again. Yes, a thrill.

In the early days, when the car was very rare, I was stopped 5 separate times for speeding by the police, once for blasting past the CHP at 130 mph when he was running to an incident at 80. In every case except one, I didn’t get a ticket… they just wanted to know what it was and to see the engine! The one time I got nailed was along the Pacific Coast Highway, south of Point Dume, where I blasted past the parked sherrif at 80, and when I saw him pull out from the side of the road as I crested the next hill I slowly eased it up to 110. (You all know, the car really doesn’t get into its “element” until past 100.) He didn’t’ even catch up until miles later at Peperdine above Malibu where the traffic got heavy, where he said, “You know, I was doing 80, and I couldn’t even see you.” I didn’t want to explain the physics to him… and took the only ticket I ever got in the car.

Yes, it is and has been an amazing car, but I too realized that it was such an amazing car that I did not want to see it torn up in the day to day traffic we have here in Los Angeles. So I began to drive it less and less, and when I did, I was terrified of the guy in the Buick T-boning me at some intersection, or whacking their door into mine in the microscopic slots they call parking spaces around here.

It had been sitting in my garage so much that I finally decided it made more sense to sell it. Why let it depreciate even more? Maybe someone else would enjoy it.

People who know I have the car constantly ask me why I don’t drive it more. Well… I own an airplane… a very beautiful 1988 Beechcraft Bonanza A-36. When I have weekends free, or want to escape for 4 or 5 days, I drive my Ford Explorer (very utilitarian, don’t care if it gets dinged, or plowed into) over to the airport and blast off for Cabo San Lucas, or wherever at a legal 200 mph. That’s where my fun is. It’s a different addiction, but you guys can understand.

So will I miss the car? Absolutely, but why own it if I never use it? Sounds strange to some of you guys who are serious enthusiasts, but from reading this thread, I realize that I am not alone in my feelings.

Cheers, and enjoy what you do,

Bill Bennett, ASC
Los Angeles, CA

Just seeing this thread makes me want to find a high mile beater nsx to have as my daily driver.... Look how cheap they are now!! :tongue: As evidensed from the story two posts above.

Hi Bill,

Are you interested in selling your plane? j/k. Wow..you must be one of those multi-millionaire already.

Well......I did it today......a dealership in Tampa got in an 05 Yellow S2000 and I traded my NSX in on it. They gave me $66,500 for my NSX and I got the S2000 for 31,900 with the front lip spoiler, the trunk spoiler that lays flush, and the side strakes + $399 dealer fee and $85 plate transfer fee. I didn't have to pay any sales tax since the trade was more than what I was buying.

I'm a little sad letting the NSX go......but at the same time I'm relieved I won't be worrying about the NSX all the time anymore.

I've just gotta ask, with as much money as you just spent on your new S2000 (your second none the less!!! :eek: ) why didn't you sell your car and get an older NSX that still looked good but was just old?? I may be crazy but I don't understand the reasoning on two S2000's for the sake of keeping mileage down on one (or the other). It's not like they'll hold their value. :confused:

tbck2793 said:
Well......I did it today......a dealership in Tampa got in an 05 Yellow S2000 and I traded my NSX in on it. They gave me $66,500 for my NSX and I got the S2000 for 31,900 with the front lip spoiler, the trunk spoiler that lays flush, and the side strakes + $399 dealer fee and $85 plate transfer fee. I didn't have to pay any sales tax since the trade was more than what I was buying.

I'm a little sad letting the NSX go......but at the same time I'm relieved I won't be worrying about the NSX all the time anymore.

tbck2793,
Congrats on your decision. I hope you enjoy the new S2000 more than you did the NSX. Everyone had a different opinion on what you should do including myself, but the only one that counts is yours.

By the way, you got an excellent trade value on your NSX. That is top dollar for an 03. Once again, enjoy the two S2000s. I would be interested to hear your thoughts between the two after you get familiar with the 05.

dnyhof said:
I've just gotta ask, with as much money as you just spent on your new S2000 (your second none the less!!! :eek: ) why didn't you sell your car and get an older NSX that still looked good but was just old?? I may be crazy but I don't understand the reasoning on two S2000's for the sake of keeping mileage down on one (or the other). It's not like they'll hold their value. :confused:

Well, I kind of stated it wrong before. I'm not trying to keep the mileage down on the S2000's for the sake of resale value. I just want to keep the S2000's in good condition because I'd really like to keep both of them for a really long time since 05 or 06 is going to be the last year for the S2000 from all the reports.

I also wanted one of the old as well as new body style S2000's. There really is a huge difference in styling of the 2 when they are next to each other and the interiors are alot different as well. I'm also going to get a harttop for the one I just got, there's a Honda dealership up in Ohio that sells then for almost half of what the dealerships here sell them for.

I am eventually going to get another NSX. In a couple years I'd like to get once of the newer ones like I just had that will be older then and I won't have to worry so much about it. But even then, I'll still want to keep both my S2000's.

CerberusM5 said:
tbck2793,
Congrats on your decision. I hope you enjoy the new S2000 more than you did the NSX. Everyone had a different opinion on what you should do including myself, but the only one that counts is yours.

By the way, you got an excellent trade value on your NSX. That is top dollar for an 03. Once again, enjoy the two S2000s. I would be interested to hear your thoughts between the two after you get familiar with the 05.

I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason they gave me so much on the trade is because they knew they were going to turn right around and sell it quick.

My salesperson told me later on last night before we left, that before we even brought it to Tampa for them to look at, that the dealership already had 2 different people lined up that were wanting to buy it. The dealerships here in Orlando were only wanting to give 64,500 for the car and they were only going to give me the bare S2000 for the 31,900.......so the deal I got was definitely worth the 90 mile drive to Tampa.

The people at Tampa Hondaland were also VERY nice. I've bought Honda's and Acura's at alot of different dealerships and this was the most pleasant experience out of all of them.

Back