Should I paint my factory 05 wheels?

Hey guys I have a little curb rash on two of my wheels and am having them fixed. The guys at the wheel place told me if I want the wheel refinished in a different color, it is no extra charge since they have to do that to the wheel anyway. They powdercoat. My car is silverstone. I was thinking of doing gunmetal, or actually.... silverstone... I like the gunmetal wheels with the red H caps... I wish I had a photo of silverstone with silverstone wheels. Can someone photoshop this? Give me your opinions please.

img172.jpg

Gunmetal is a good look... you've gotten a sampling of how this looks when the car is fresh off the track and the brake dust is heavy on them.

I respectfully disagree and i own a set of gunmetal wheels. They (gunmetal) looks awesome on a blue nsx or a white or a red, b/c there is a lot of contrast between the color of the car and the wheel.

Your car currently has a lot of contrast between the bright silver stock wheels and your silverstone (darker) paint. If you put gunmetal wheels on your car, you will get a look that looks simply like you have "dirty" wheels on your car. do a search for silverstone nsx or s2000 pictures and you will see what i mean. i also own a silverstone 05 nsx and what i did to dress up the oem wheels was to add black stock honda nsx lug nuts and the oem h center caps that have the flush h logo in black. (that by itself looks way better then the stock silver a logos and silver lugs)

Regardless, if you like gunmetal by all means it's your car, i just wanted to caution you with the color or your car. Also, on the lighter sebring silver nsx, the gunmetal wheels look awesome just not unfortunatly on silverstone.

+1

check out the color on the zanardi nsx and s2000 cr, they are beautiful!!!

+ 3

The thing is that, the NSX lines are so amazing, that silver or GM wheels ALWASY look good, regardless the color, on the S2k's yeah i agree ...

Last edited:
I would leave them silver, gunmetal will not work unless you drop the car.

Also, I don't care for the Cantrell lip, I like the intention, but not the execution... I would probably go back to stock on the lip, and bring the car down about 1-1.25"... then the car would fit the hood and wing you have installed, and would look better, no matter which color your rims are.

Also, if you have not already done so, I would install spacers to kick the OEM wheels out closer to the fender line.

Have you seen the Route KS ZAZ lip? Similar to the Cantrell, but better fitment, and workmanship:
http://www.turbonsx.com/kinesis/DSC04687.JPG

dark gunmetal, like the previous generation TL-S rims would look fantastic on Silverstone. I have Volk GT-C's in gunmetal w/ polished rims, classic but dated.

I agree I think it would look great. Nice pic there BTW I think I know who took it and I know that G35 in the garage. :wink:

I just saw a silver (cr) S2000 earlier today with gunmetal wheels. The wheels looked good imo. My girlfriend did ask, "are those wheels dirty or are they supposed to look that color?"
I guess that was a mixed review.

I never like silver wheels on a sliver car. It's boring and washes out the color of the whole car. I vote for gunmetal, black, or any other dark color wheel.

I also own a silverstone 05 nsx and what i did to dress up the oem wheels was to add black stock honda nsx lug nuts and the oem h center caps that have the flush h logo in black. (that by itself looks way better then the stock silver a logos and silver lugs)

Where did you get the caps and the lugs? I obviously can't walk into an Acura dealer and ask for it. These are JDM parts, right? do you have a pic? sounds like it would be cool.

Also, I don't care for the Cantrell lip, I like the intention, but not the execution... I would probably go back to stock on the lip, and bring the car down about 1-1.25"... then the car would fit the hood and wing you have installed, and would look better, no matter which color your rims are.

Also, if you have not already done so, I would install spacers to kick the OEM wheels out closer to the fender line.

Have you seen the Route KS ZAZ lip? Similar to the Cantrell, but better fitment, and workmanship:
http://www.turbonsx.com/kinesis/DSC04687.JPG

John how do you know the Route KS is a better fit? I don't want to compromise the car's performance/handling by adding spacers. Also I live where roads are bad. This is the NE, not CA... dropping the car and a stiffer suspension would be hell. Plus, my cantrel rubs already if I am not very careful...if the car is dropped it would be destroyed in days. I just really like that lip. Like... a lot. So much that I am not changing suspension because of it. But you are right the fit is not perfect. If the RKS is better maybe I will swap it out. I am eyeing that KW3 suspension... but am really afraid of dropping the car. BTW guys, the fender gap looks larger than it really is in this particular picture. It's not that bad normally.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree and i own a set of gunmetal wheels. They (gunmetal) looks awesome on a blue nsx or a white or a red, b/c there is a lot of contrast between the color of the car and the wheel.

I agree.

John how do you know the Route KS is a better fit? I don't want to compromise the car's performance/handling by adding spacers. Also I live where roads are bad. This is the NE, not CA... dropping the car and a stiffer suspension would be hell. Plus, my cantrel rubs already if I am not very careful...if the car is dropped it would be destroyed in days. I just really like that lip. Like... a lot. So much that I am not changing suspension because of it. But you are right the fit is not perfect. If the RKS is better maybe I will swap it out. I am eyeing that KW3 suspension... but am really afraid of dropping the car. BTW guys, the fender gap looks larger than it really is in this particular picture. It's not that bad normally.

Dave,

I own both; I purchased the Cantrell first, then purchased the ZAZ, which is what I have currently installed.

I understand your concern with roads, this is why I suggested installing the factory 2002 plastic lip, which is thinner; the overall appearance would look better with this smaller lip, if the car were lower - I think this drop is imperative to pulling off the 'aggressive stance' your other parts create, the hood, the wing, and stock ride height don't fit, so lowering the car, installing a tame lip that will be able to take a degree of abuse, and kicking the wheels out will create an excellent compromise.

Hubcentric spacers will have a marginal effect on handling, which can be dialed out on an alignment machine. Some might argue in favor of the wider track, assuming your camber is within limits.

Regards

Your car currently has a lot of contrast between the bright silver stock wheels and your silverstone (darker) paint. If you put gunmetal wheels on your car, you will get a look that looks simply like you have "dirty" wheels on your car. i also own a silverstone 05 nsx and what i did to dress up the oem wheels was to add black stock honda nsx lug nuts and the oem h center caps that have the flush h logo in black. (that by itself looks way better then the stock silver a logos and silver lugs)

Regardless, if you like gunmetal by all means it's your car, i just wanted to caution you with the color or your car.

1++

IMG_1884.jpg

wingZ has you covered on the lug nuts

the center caps.. your not going to believe it but go to your local honda dealer and order caps for stock 09-09 s2000 wheels. the caps are the same part as the jdm h caps for 02-05 nsx.

wingZ has you covered on the lug nuts

the center caps.. your not going to believe it but go to your local honda dealer and order caps for stock 09-09 s2000 wheels. the caps are the same part as the jdm h caps for 02-05 nsx.

I think it's hilarious that we use S2000 parts to enhance our NSXs especially since when we order these same parts for the NSX we'd be charged more that double. I hate that the S2K steering wheel won't work.

I think it's hilarious that we use S2000 parts to enhance our NSXs especially since when we order these same parts for the NSX we'd be charged more that double. I hate that the S2K steering wheel won't work.

I think I paid $30 for one center cap at the acura dealer.... maybe more... :rolleyes:

As others have said, I think gun metal would make the wheels look dirty on a silver car. Not sure what else would look good, polished maybe?

What about matching silverstone? What do you guys think about that?

Back