Should I go to court

What is your defense?

If you're just going to go to court and state the radar was over due for calibration?

You'll probably lose (though not 100%).

The officer is supposed to determine your speed and use the radar gun to confirm . At least that is what he will testify to in court.

The radar allows for an exact cite based on the indicated speed. Whereas if he didn't have a radar, he would have to subtract 5 MPH and write you for that. The radar also has a set of tuning forks with it that should be tested prior to use by the officer.

You'll have to insist you weren't speeding, the gun was wrong and that the officer (while a nice guy and hard working) got the wrong guy.

A professional department should cancel the ticket based on your picture alone....worth a shot.

Drew

I suggest you fight it with a Trial by Written Declaration. I did that with my last ticket, and am waiting to find out if I won or not. (I think the case will be decided tomorrow.) It takes time as I recieved the speeding ticket on 5-27-2009. I used TicketAssasin.com to learn how to fill out the paper work and what defense to use, even though I was radared at 65 in a 50 zone. You still have to pay the fine, upfront, but you write why you believe you should win, and never have to step foot in court.

I quote this from www.ticketassassin.com "There are many advantages to contesting by written declaration. The most obvious advantage: the officer gets paid $200-300 to show up in person at a court trial but gets paid NOTHING to complete this declaration paperwork. In my experience, about 30% of police officers fail to submit a response to the court by the deadline. If the officer does not turn in his declaration on time, your case is DISMISSED and you bail is returned. By simply contesting by written declaration, you stand a decent chance of dismissal regardless of your argument."

And Trial by Declaration gives you two chances to win the case. If you lose Trial by Declaration, you can still contest your ticket and do it in person.

An add bonus, is that it will allow you to delay your insurance premium increase for possible 6 months. It doesn't count against your driving record until the case is settled.

Back