• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Should I get an nsx?

redshift said:
Good point skinnydoc...

Please remember that my advice is 100% from my own experience, and I'm only 25 so how much experience do I really have? The tips I gave you worked out VERY well in my situation, but may not work for everybody.

Redshift,

I think you ought to give yourself more credit - your advice is very sound advice. It is the safe and in many cases, the smart approach. Ultimately, all investments are really glorified gambles, you could make or lose money just as easily if timing is not right...

teamu said:
just want to correct that 2m then = ~250k now is true for a 7 percent inflation rate (which is a very high expectation). If the inflation rate is closer to 3 percent, then 2m then = ~800k now. Other than that, I agree with your financing/keeping loans advice is probably a more cost effective option (although don't forget taxes, so 3% interest loan will take about 5% investment gained to match), and good insight into the fact that not everyone makes a killing in house appreciation.

7% inflation is not too bad considering 20-30 years. the stock market has been averaging 10-12% over the last 50 or so years, and real estate has also gained approximately the same over that time period. As for taxes, sadly :frown:, in the US, the more money you make the less you pay in taxes (easier to shelter your money)

But again, any talk of investments is speculative - I think at age 25, you should gamble more and at age 50 with kids and grandkids, you probably should gamble less... just my 3 cents (adjusted for inflation)

Last edited:
skinnydoc said:
Redshift,

I think at age 25, you should gamble more and at age 50 with kids and grandkids, you probably should gamble less...

I completely agree with this. almost my entire portfolio is in high risk/high reward stocks (either large cap growth or small/ultra small caps). Give it a shot to go big. If it goes bust, I have the rest of my life to regain what I lose...

Anyways,
I think I'm going to hold for now. Winter will soon be upon us (plus I'm leaving the country for 6 weeks during the winter). So I'll probably keep reading these forums, get an idea of the nsx market, learn what a good deal is, and then come spring if i still have the nsx itch & my savings have increased a decent amount I'll take the plunge (or atleast start actively looking)...

Thanks everyone for all your help/insight/etc in this thread...
Teamu

Back