Should I do it all?

I just took my new NSX in for an oil change and was given a list of recommended repairs and I was curious as to if 1) these estimates are acurate from a price point and 2) if I have to do them all now, or if I could space them out a bit.

My car is a 92 with 52,000 miles and they recommended I had the 90k service performed instead of the 60k. This includes having the timing belt changed. Quoted me $2200. New oil pan gasket for $230, and new right CV boot for $280.

Based on my searches around the site I know I need to get the timing belt done, but most of you have been quoting prices of 1100-1500. Are these guys way off base? Wouldn't some of the labor charges overlap to do these repairs?

Should I have them just drop the engine and do the timing belt only? Or would I be spending the money again later when I need the 90k service?

Because of the mileage of the vehicle I didn't think this would be required so soon, but the age is just as important. I definitly don't want this thing to snap. The bummer is my first track event was sunday and now I think I need to cancel and take the NSX in this morning and get these things repaired.

What would you guys do?

eventhorizon said:
I just took my new NSX in for an oil change and was given a list of recommended repairs and I was curious as to if 1) these estimates are acurate from a price point and 2) if I have to do them all now, or if I could space them out a bit.

My car is a 92 with 52,000 miles and they recommended I had the 90k service performed instead of the 60k. This includes having the timing belt changed. Quoted me $2200. New oil pan gasket for $230, and new right CV boot for $280.

Based on my searches around the site I know I need to get the timing belt done, but most of you have been quoting prices of 1100-1500. Are these guys way off base? Wouldn't some of the labor charges overlap to do these repairs?

Should I have them just drop the engine and do the timing belt only? Or would I be spending the money again later when I need the 90k service?

Because of the mileage of the vehicle I didn't think this would be required so soon, but the age is just as important. I definitly don't want this thing to snap. The bummer is my first track event was sunday and now I think I need to cancel and take the NSX in this morning and get these things repaired.

What would you guys do?

Don't think you can save on labor as the recommendations are not related as far as workscope. You definitely need to do the timing belt and waterpump. I owuld do your other belts as well that should just be cost of parts. Shouldn't charge labor on that. As for the CV boot are they replacing just the boot? that seems high for just the boot? Maybe one of our NSX techs can chime in like Larry Bastanza or Zahntech. As for the oilpan may depend on how severe of a leak you have.

Since I do not know where you are can't say if there are any independant mechanics with NSX knowledge in your neighborhood. Might want to ask around in your area forum for recommendations.

Another question I have is since my car also has a turbo charger installed is this going to make the removal of the exhaust and engine more difficult? If so is it likey that upon reinstall of these components that something could get knocked out of whack? I would hate to take the car in and have it come back with a new timing belt, but broken turbos. Should I ask them to do the install with the exhaust in place instead?

Removing the Motor is not nessasary for timing belt/60k service...and yes depending on the turbo set up it will add some time to the job, to replace the timing belt with motor in the car you will have to remove the timing cover side mount and move the engine up and down in the engine compartment to gain access to the front of motor, having a more complicated exhaust may cause some difficulty.

280$ for a CV Boot is a bit much. I charge just under 200$

If you are going to remove the motor I would consider putting a new clutch in at that time.

What part of the US are you in? Maybe there's another NSX Tech close by that you can go to with better pricing.

I am in Kansas City Missouri

Might want to have the hoses replaced also while your at it and there are a few more things to consider if this car has never had a major service like fluid changes Brakes especially.

zahntech said:
Removing the Motor is not nessasary for timing belt/60k service...

Thank you for not removing my motor....Now get back to work!! :wink:

eventhorizon said:
I am in Kansas City Missouri

They have NSXs in Kansas?.....I am stuck in South Dakota until monday....have not seen but one TL...not sure there is an Acura dealer here:wink:

My party has two rental cars they are both pontiacs ...if i don't keep my eye on the other car I will loose my family in a sea of GM crap!!!

Gotta love the midwest:smile: :biggrin:

Back