Should I buy a new NSX?

jyc

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have always loved and wanted an NSX since they first came out. You are lucky ones that own or have owned one...or more...

Anyways, I've got an offer from a dealer to buy a brand new 2005 NSX for $82,500...

Did some preliminary research (correct me if you feel differently):

-NSX's arent really big with collectors...no appreciation potential, mostly major depreciation...
-Ebay's got some low mileage 2005's for 'buy it now' 72-75K but bidding stalls at around 60-65K

I'd rather buy new but the depreciation is quite daunting...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

i would just go as old as you could justify (if you are willing to justify buying a car with no warranty, different body style, etc.). it's just that this car has changed so little over the years and has been overpriced for so long (the thing was 61g's when it first came out and then went up in price for some odd reason over the years with little/no changes made and the technology only got older).

you're not buying a ferrari. you shouldn't have the same problems as one with a few miles on it. get one with low miles and save a TON of money. use it for mods or a down payment on a huge house.

i guess that's another factor. if you're planning to mod the crap out of it, there is no point in buying new. it's going to have all new parts on it anyway.

just my opinion... or buy a car that is actually worth 83g - cause at the end of the day, my sub-30,000 dollar 1991 is essentially the same car :smile: (but then again, there is no substitute for brand new)

that being said..... go buy 3 older ones :smile: have an nsx track car, road car...... and field car :tongue:

I did and have no regrets........Steve

You could get an 02 in the $6x,000's... same exact vehicle. A low mileage one would most likely be a garage queen. With the amount you save you could put I/H/E + CTSC and still have cash left over.

If you do buy the 05, you can probably wiggle lower on the price.

jyc said:
-NSX's arent really big with collectors...no appreciation potential, mostly major depreciation...
-Ebay's got some low mileage 2005's for 'buy it now' 72-75K but bidding stalls at around 60-65K

NSX is not yet a collector's item, Production ceased only six months ago. Even with the Zanardi edition, I see many with high mileage.

New car depreciation is always strong, regardless what you get. Unless it is a ultra rare car such as Enzo/F40/F50, McLaren F1, etc.

It is not matter of how much, but is it worth paying for a new one. In my case, budget was an issue, so I settled for an low mileage 03 (3600 miles).

If you are looking at it as an investment, you shouldn't. Investment car is not ment to be driven daily, and the NSX is a car that should be driven daily, at lease when ever you can.

However, if I can afford a new one, I would have bought it new. Therefore, it is all down to your budget, and the value the NSX is in your mind. There are plenty of cars out there that is faster and cheaper, 911CS and Z06 are the perfect example, but if you always wanted one, and you know what it is all about, go for it.

The warranty you're paying for you'll probably never even need with a new car. I'd get one a few years old, and consider the savings "a self insured warranty". My 14 year old car hasn't broken yet. Just a couple of window regulators.

As far as the depreciation goes, if you put that against the costs of maintenance of a Porsche or F-car, you'll be at least even.

In the end, I guess it comes down to how much you're willing to pay to be the only owner of your car.

jyc said:
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum but have always loved and wanted an NSX since they first came out. You are lucky ones that own or have owned one...or more...

Anyways, I've got an offer from a dealer to buy a brand new 2005 NSX for $82,500...

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

The price the dealer is quoting you ( 82k ) is pretty high.

NSX was never meant to be a garage queen it was meant to be driven and driven hard. Collectors cars aren't driven.

If you can afford to buy it new then buy it new. Used NSX's in good shape even newer ones are hard to find. If you go through the faq you'll see their are a slew of improvements over the early 91's. Most guy's who had 97 NSX's and went up to the 02+ say they noticed differences worth the extra money. 02+ dates the 2001 down.

If its new you really do know the history of the car as your making it. All that said if you can only afford to buy used your still buying a great car.

If depreciation scares you avoid any new car. New Z06 currently is selling for $25k over sticker making it a 90K car. It has great performance ,but don't be fooled. GM will keep making this car and it will drop price wise like tech stock! 01 Z06's go for mid 20's 01 NSX's do not. Also you only really lose your money if you bought a car you couldn't afford and get desperate and sell it for some outragesly low price. If you however decide to sell because you want something else you take your time wait for the right buyer and tell low ballers ( especially dealers )"No Thank you".

When I was looking I had a buddy who kept telling me to buy used and save the money for aftermarket parts. I'm glad I didn't listen. It's a great car just the way it is. You'll love how it sounds and feels after driving it off the lot. Learn to drive it smoothly and she'll keep a smile on your face. You'll catch yourself stopping by the garage just to look at it. What's funny is that I was never an NSX fan:eek: My thing was HP all the way! till I drove an S2000 and fell in love with Honda's lightweight well balanced ,high revving sportscars. If you've always wanted an NSX I can't imagine how great owning a new one will be for you.

jyc said:
Hello all,

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Ebay completed sales are mostly older NSX's w/ much lower prices than the '05 you are considering....if you are looking for an "investment", the
new car market is probably not a place to put your $80K.

If you do go for it, you will have one of the last handbuilt, all aluminum sports cars that Honda will probably ever build. I consider this generation NSX a classic and the people who are "in the know" will understand why you bought it...if your budget allows, why not buy new?

Many thanks for all of your replies...definitely helps ALOT.

I'm quite impressed by this forum and the individuals that populate it...quality, like the car ;)

I'm wondering now between this car at a lower negotiated price, or a new Porsche 911 GT3.

FYI, i intend for this purchase to be a weekend toy w/ a couple of mild track days for fun...and keeping it forever...it being the 3rd car added to my modest collection of a Honda Prelude and e46 M3. My daily driver is a Cayenne S.

Any additional thoughts?

I just bought a 2003 with 9500 miles, with the balance of the warranty 9/2007 and it is Acura certified to 2010 or 10000 miles. This is my best car purchase ever. I had contemplated used but was never a big fan. After examining the car it was too good to be true. I had never driven a NSX but I have driven Corvettes and contemplating buying Corvette Z51. The salesman was nice enough to let me drive it and let me take to 100 in 3rd gear. It was an awesome ride. I decided I had to buy the car.

I am a value kind of a guy. The car looks new, had low miles , warranty and Acura certified. How could I go wrong ?

I know guys on this forum like to mod the car. The car is plenty fast but I dont have the desire to race or track the car. I have decided to keep my stock for now. Good Luck in your search ! By the way , I saw the car that The KID has for sale. Its awesome ! I am not a red car myself but if I was, I would have bought it. Its a great color combo RED/Tan interior.

just my opinion,
Good Luck !
Norman

Blue Batmobile said:
what will hapen to the value once the NSX replacement comes out in a few years?

Bat™

If it's really front engine all wheel drive it may not affect anything.

jyc said:
Many thanks for all of your replies...definitely helps ALOT.

I'm quite impressed by this forum and the individuals that populate it...quality, like the car ;)

I'm wondering now between this car at a lower negotiated price, or a new Porsche 911 GT3.

FYI, i intend for this purchase to be a weekend toy w/ a couple of mild track days for fun...and keeping it forever...it being the 3rd car added to my modest collection of a Honda Prelude and e46 M3. My daily driver is a Cayenne S.

Any additional thoughts?

JYC, 82K is just fair. I just bought an 05 with 3700 miles for 72K. There was a dealer recently on e-bay that sold a new 05 (100 miles, untitled) for 76K. These prices I am telling you are a bit on the low side... most have been going for about 80K. I know an owner here that just bought an 05 for 77K. However when I inquired into another at that price, that same dealership would not do it. I would try to get into the high 70's with this one... but... at the very end, you are talking about a car that is hard to find and no longer made. So 2-3K may not be that much of an issue.

Regarding the GT3. I looked long and hard at a new 997, and a barely used 996TT. At the end, I just didn't quite "feel" it with the 911. I personaly am not that fond of the styling (especially the interior), and there are many 911's around. To the average eye, they are all the same. My girlfriend's comment at the porsche dealer: "it looks 80's to me". The NSX still looks very modern, and few people even know what it is. I drive and I hear people ask "what is that thing?" from each other all the time. The GT3 is a FINE vehicle... its pretty hard core. Less comfortable than the NSX... but more performance. A better track car. Its definitely more money...

Regarding depreciation. I must be coming from different experiences than most owners here. I have been dealing with cars whose depreciation is MASSIVE compared to the NSX. My last car was an MB CL600. The NSX, for what it is, is perhaps the lowest depreciating vehicle in its class. For 5 years in a row, the NSX was ranked by intellichoice magazine as #1 lowest cost of ownership in its class of sports car. 911's hold value well too, but the maintenance is far higher than the NSX's. The NSX is terrific when it comes to cost of ownership. Unbeatable.

Don't forget the NSX is a "T", which to me, is great in nice weather. You are not getting that in a GT3 or standard 997. I actually like the Targa better than a full convertible. Its just perfect.

Just some of the cars I looked at before buying my NSX: MB SL55, Maserati Grand Sport (the close second), Aston Martin Vantage V8, 997S, 996TT, new Jag XK, used ferrari Modena. I love the NSX, truly. I have no regrets.

I am shocked to see after the few months I have owned my car, its still worth essentialy the same amount. None of those other cars would be even close. The Aston dealer told me with a straight face that if I want to keep depreciation to an acceptable level, 4K miles per year MAX is what I should put on the thing.

It all comes down to how much "fun" you get with this third car for your dollar. And I see a much better ratio with an NSX-T than with anything else. The car is an absolute BLAST. And you really can drive the thing (a lot) without all the typical worries that come with this class of car.

Blue Batmobile said:
what will hapen to the value once the NSX replacement comes out in a few years?

Bat™

Nothing. The low production volume of the current one ensured that. If this car was common, it would hurt it. But with the rarity and unique looks, it does not look like an "old NSX" mainly because few have ever even seen one. Usually with blingy cars once the new one comes the old one is dead. because no one wants to be seen driving an old blingy car... I mean thats the whole purpose of the car most of the time. The NSX is just not one of those cars.

It's the last of the last, end of an era....blah blah blah.....get the NEW one!:biggrin: I think 80k is a fair price....It's a "virgin" NSX. No shady past, never tracked, no damage, never driven in the rain(honestly). Just my .02

tbck2793 said:
It's the last of the last, end of an era....blah blah blah.....get the NEW one!:biggrin: I think 80k is a fair price....It's a "virgin" NSX. No shady past, never tracked, no damage, never driven in the rain(honestly). Just my .02

I agree. I was not looking to find a bargain when buying a 90K MSRP sports car. It already is a bargain when compared to its competition. New is new and I had no problem paying the premium. Plus, if nobody was to buy a new one, how could all of you guys who bought used buy yours. Be grateful there are those of us willing to take the depreciation hit so that you can get one at a great price sometime down the road........Steve :biggrin:

needspeed said:
I agree. I was not looking to find a bargain when buying a 90K MSRP sports car. It already is a bargain when compared to its competition. New is new and I had no problem paying the premium. Plus, if nobody was to buy a new one, how could all of you guys who bought used buy yours. Be grateful there are those of us willing to take the depreciation hit so that you can get one at a great price sometime down the road........Steve :biggrin:

Same way I looked at it.

TURBO2GO said:
Just some of the cars I looked at before buying my NSX: MB SL55, Maserati Grand Sport (the close second), Aston Martin Vantage V8, 997S, 996TT, new Jag XK, used ferrari Modena. I love the NSX, truly. I have no regrets.
That is a list of sweet cars, you picked the best car:biggrin:.

nsxsupra said:
That is a list of sweet cars, you picked the best car:biggrin:.

Yeah nice cars... and they all tank in price rapidly. I mean there is talk here of the NSX depreciating alot.... I guess compared to an Accord. Try depreciation on a Maserati or Aston Martin after a year of ownership. The NSX was not only a good car choice but probably the best financial choice.

This is all great insight and I appreciate it.

I'm going to go test drive it and see how I feel...I'll probaby start at 78K ;)

I'll let you all know...

Thanks again.

Synthesis said:
just my opinion... or buy a car that is actually worth 83g - cause at the end of the day, my sub-30,000 dollar 1991 is essentially the same car :smile: (but then again, there is no substitute for brand new)

I think you're nuts to consider a 15 yr old car "the same" as a brand new car.. Aside from 6 spd tranny, better brakes larger motor, updated ABS, airbags, front fascia etc etc etc, cars don't age well.. I'd take a brand new one any day over 15 yrs old... this isn't wine we're talking about...

and the whole waste of 83k issue is really matter of opinion. obviously he's got a wide choice of cars at that price level, and wants the nsx..

hello,
I'm new to this site....and just bought my 96' NSX. It's my daily comute car. New or used...it really doesn't matter. Just be sure you're know "HANDS DOWN, IT'S THE BEST CAR MONEY CAN BUY"

Back