Short shift kit recommendations

I like all your coices, its basically what I have minues the shift knob. This knob has nice weight to it but there are two things I didn't like, and its personal.

1) after installation it looked too much like a lot of ricey automatic levers I have seen in various cars. I like the way a ball looks and fits in my hand a lot better. I find myself shifting with my hand on TOP of the knob, and with this one you have to hold it more like a pistol. Before you do it, go and see how you naturally place your hand on the knob.

2) This thing gets crazy hot and cold. Really rather uncomfortable to touch. That was a deal breaker for me.

I love the stalk and Dav'e SS kit. Why don't you upgrade to the factory 2004/2005 knob? Its weighted, looks good, and fits perfectly in your hand. It also is comfortable at any temperature.

everything you listed is my "EXACT" setup minus the tear drop knob, i have the sos rapid round ball one as well as the type r shift boot. come down and see me maybe friday night at the s2000 & NSX meet in milpitas and i'll let you test it out.

So - on the shorter shifter, does it increase the chances of grinding the gears because it might not give the gates enough time to open fully? I generally 'pause' and 'feel' the gates to open before I put it in. This is about .5 seconds. I never, maybe sometimes when I am driving a bit hard, "pull the knob down" near as fast as I can...

I've never had a problem.

So - on the shorter shifter, does it increase the chances of grinding the gears ...?

it's actually the opposite.
the function of a short shifter is to have the top portion of the shifter feel shortened because of the added length below.

the short shifter kit adds on to the length at the bottom where it connects to the cables.

it actually decreases your chances of grinding gears because it takes less effort and time to get into gear.

but then again, if youre too fast on the shifting. i guess it's possible to engage gears before fully pressing on the clutch and grind them that way...

but i wouldnt worry too much about it. its a simple invention that works well.

I like all your coices, its basically what I have minues the shift knob. This knob has nice weight to it but there are two things I didn't like, and its personal.

1) after installation it looked too much like a lot of ricey automatic levers I have seen in various cars. I like the way a ball looks and fits in my hand a lot better. I find myself shifting with my hand on TOP of the knob, and with this one you have to hold it more like a pistol. Before you do it, go and see how you naturally place your hand on the knob.

2) This thing gets crazy hot and cold. Really rather uncomfortable to touch. That was a deal breaker for me.

I love the stalk and Dav'e SS kit. Why don't you upgrade to the factory 2004/2005 knob? Its weighted, looks good, and fits perfectly in your hand. It also is comfortable at any temperature.

Wanna sell me your factory 05 knob? Please pm me a price and I will take it!

Doing some research for my 2004 NSX and I want to get a nice short shift kit that replicates the feeling I have in my current s2000.

A few questions:

1) Are most of you guys running the SOS longer threaded stalk and SSK combo (roughly ~$150 bucks)
2) Can I run a s2000 Voodoo shift knob (looks same as NSX-R but not titanium so a lot cheaper)
3) I also plan on getting the NSX-R shift boot so want a full setup

Is Dave’s setup mentioned on here the same as what SOS is selling?

Thanks
Rick

1) Are most of you guys running the SOS longer threaded stalk and SSK combo (roughly ~$150 bucks)
2) Can I run a s2000 Voodoo shift knob (looks same as NSX-R but not titanium so a lot cheaper)
3) I also plan on getting the NSX-R shift boot so want a full setup

pretty much what i'm using...

longer threaded stalk, engraved ti magnum voodoo, nsx-r shift boot.

pretty much what i'm using...

longer threaded stalk, engraved ti magnum voodoo, nsx-r shift boot.

iCEE: Just curious if you got those 3 pieces why didn't you get the Short shift kit unit as well since it's pretty cheap - any negatives to that piece?

rk

another option, which I did, is to cut a section out in the middle of the shifter and then reweld it back together. That combined with a short shift kit should really shorten the throw.

What's funny is, even though I have the short shift kit with shorter stalk from SOS, I want it to be even shorter!

no reason to buy it. the short shift kit is usually a raffle item at club events... i'm hoping to get lucky. :smile:

SPoke like a true asian gambler....hahaha :biggrin: I figured with the labor to swap stalks it would be easier to do both at the same time.

So this SOS piece they are selling is of equal or better quality than stock with no adverse effects right? That's all I want to know before I order.

I did think about cutting it down but with a countersunk knob isn't it pretty short already? You guys have a pic of your knob? (Shift knob PLEASE!)

this is what I was going to order (taken from SOS site)

short-shifter-block.image.jpg

So this SOS piece they are selling is of equal or better quality than stock with no adverse effects right? That's all I want to know before I order.

are you referring to the stalk? i'm pretty sure it's from a zanardi.

also, i don't think it's any shorter, just has more threads.

are you referring to the stalk? i'm pretty sure it's from a zanardi.

also, i don't think it's any shorter, just has more threads.

No I was actually referring to the blue short shifter piece....

The stalk I know is a piece I need to thread my shift knob lower.

rk

Take a look at the shifter stalk that SOS closely and you'll see that the bottom half of the unit is longer than the OEM for USDM. This will change the geometry of the shift linkage, making it require less movement by you to make the same movement underneath. So there's a shorter throw from that. Then, if you use a knob that can be threaded down deep, you can screw it down pretty far on the Type-S/Zanardi stalk that SOS sells. This effectively shortens the height of the top end of the stalk, also adding to the shorter throw effect.

I have the Type-R knob with the Type-S/Zanardi stalk that SOS sells with no other changes and the throws are notably shorter than stock. Maybe others like an even shorter throw, but I think mine feels perfect. And because it's all Honda OEM, you're kinda guaranteed a smooth OEM-like engagement. I have never driven a car with a short shift kit installed but it's possible that the engagement isn't as smooth (but maybe it is... I don't know).

Rick, if you want to try something out before you buy, you're welcome to check out my setup. Maybe ask around to see if you can check out the throws of other setups. I'd recommend you feel the throws of as many combinations as you can until you find out which you like best. It would suck to buy and install stuff you don't end up wanting or to not buy and install stuff that you find out you wanted.

J

good point man, would love to check out your setup!

but being the inpatient guy I am, I already ordered the SOS setup but still deciding on the shift knob.....

rk

Take a look at the shifter stalk that SOS closely and you'll see that the bottom half of the unit is longer than the OEM for USDM. This will change the geometry of the shift linkage, making it require less movement by you to make the same movement underneath. So there's a shorter throw from that. Then, if you use a knob that can be threaded down deep, you can screw it down pretty far on the Type-S/Zanardi stalk that SOS sells. This effectively shortens the height of the top end of the stalk, also adding to the shorter throw effect.

I have the Type-R knob with the Type-S/Zanardi stalk that SOS sells with no other changes and the throws are notably shorter than stock. Maybe others like an even shorter throw, but I think mine feels perfect. And because it's all Honda OEM, you're kinda guaranteed a smooth OEM-like engagement. I have never driven a car with a short shift kit installed but it's possible that the engagement isn't as smooth (but maybe it is... I don't know).

Rick, if you want to try something out before you buy, you're welcome to check out my setup. Maybe ask around to see if you can check out the throws of other setups. I'd recommend you feel the throws of as many combinations as you can until you find out which you like best. It would suck to buy and install stuff you don't end up wanting or to not buy and install stuff that you find out you wanted.

J

+1 Get the SOS short shift kit / stalk. I have it on my car and it's great. In addition, I also had my SOS shift stalk cut even lower by an 1"+ since there is plenty of thread still. Get the weighted R-type shift knob. The weight does make a difference in shifting.

Last edited:
+1 Get the SOS short shift kit / stalk. I have it on my car and it's great. In addition, I also had my SOS shift stalk cut even lower by an 1"+ since there is plenty of thread still. Get the weighted R-type shift knob. The weight does make a difference in shifting.

I ordered all the necessary parts so now just waiting on UPS to deliver the goods.

I got:

1) NSX-R shift boot from rjp
2) SSK and shift stalk from SOS

Does anyone have a picture of their "CUT" stalk such as what NSX GT stated above vs. a normal stalk with just the countersunk knob?

I like my knobs short but not too short if that makes any sense...hahaha

rk

Back