Shipping+Register+Transfer fees for California

Hey, I just did this eact thing. I live in CA and bought my NSX in New Jersey. In fact tommorrow, Wednesday, I am taking it to DMV so they can verify the VIN number and give me my license plates. I already went in with all the paper work, that is the title, bill of sale, mileage certificate, etc., and piad the fee of 8.25% of the sales price of the car, plus the license fee. That ammounted to $5,227.00 - no small chunk of change IMHO.

So why didn't I just register in NJ with my brother-in-law's address for the 90 days first then bring it to CA and register it as a car that I have owned without paying the used tax?...simple.

The car has to be insured and to register in NJ you MUST have NJ insurance with a NJ address. Then, when the car comes to CA it has to be inspected and you pay the amount of used tax that the other state did not charge, eg., if the rate is 6% in NJ, you pay that when you register it there, then pay the 2.25% additional when you come to CA.

The bottom line is that it is just not worth the BS and the also I did not want to commit any type of fraud regardless of if they could catch me or not. I live in CA, born and raised, and if paying 8.25% is the cost of being able to buy my NSX and drive it almost 365 days out of the year in terrific weather, then that is the price you pay. So I did. I still did not like it but that is the cost of having a nice car sometimes.

OH, the smog certification was no problem at all. Car is box stock. Cost me $79 for the cetrtificate.

Finally, the transport, Horseless Carriage, was $1,850 and they did a great job and got the car her in a timely fashion.

Good luck,

JOPRIMO said:
Oh and the always wonderful: "did you know that its a crime to falsefy registration documents?" I tried this with a motocross bike last year and got busted.

Whoa...wait a second. I thought your time was $$$$$$? Apparently your time was not more valuable than the circumvented sales tax on a dirt bike! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey, you asked for it. :D

Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with. For me it is simple, if you mispreresent the price you paid for a vehicle to DMV you are placing yourself at risk for a great felony case. Hence, don't be stupid. Is a few thousand dollars worth all you have worked for to be able to afford the NSX to begin with?

They can get you a couple of way, the most obvious is they go and speak with the seller in person and flash a badge and scare the crap out of them and the seller, not wishing to become a co-defendant, tells the DMV investigators exactly how much you paid. They become the State's witness against you. Then they bring charges of perjury and fraud against you.

You pay some nice defense attorney, (everybody hates 'em till they need 'em) probably $5K to take you up to Preliminary Hearing and renegotiate for a price to go to trial if they go that far. Probably $10K for a trial.

Also, for those of you that have 2 addresses, you are not out of the woods yet. The State has just started a program to crack down of this loop-hole or abuse, however you look at it. So now if your neighbors see that you have a car that you have here in California, with say....Nevada plates, that you are driving here, guess what? That's right, you are going to be burned by the CHP and DMV. The problem is you can drive a car into California and be here on vacation. Once you establish a residence here, the car that you regularly drive here, needs to be CA registered. And you would be surprised how many of your neighbors might actually feel that you are not paying your fare share to drive on our fairly poorly maintained roads and turn you in. So in that event, just read the above paragraph and apply those charges.

Bottom line, don't be dumb. Register that car, be honest, pay the fees and be thankful that we have great weather to enjoy driving our beautiful cars in.

At least you can't say you haven't been warned.....Good luck.

I agree with you Cairo as I know someone (close to the family) that registered an M3 in Oregon (his aunts house) for Tax evasion.

Long story short, he lived in a neighborhood where parking is scarce. His neighbors started to complain to the Authorities about an M3 with Oregon plates that has been here for nearly two years.

His fines and violations were not even funny, he was forced to re-register the car in California after recieving hefty fines. His story that he's here for a visit got old fast....

a newer thread pointed back to this old thread so i just read it for the first time. here in MA, if you come in with a bill of sale lower than the NADA value, they use the NADA value regardless of what your bill of sale says. No worries about fraud, no point in trying. I think the value they use is the trade in value at least.

robr said:
gotta be more to the story than that (though i should probably know better)

WOW this is a blast from the past. I wonder if he is out by now???

The tenant filled out the DMV form saying he paid much less for the Mustang than he actually did. The real problems came when he was caught and then continued to lie about it. That is why I think he was jailed for such a long time. I don't know all the details because everything I know I read in the news paper. Stuff like this gets a whole page in this one horse town.

Back