Shark Bite: Picked up a red 91 NSX

hey folks I just wanted to say hi and thank you for the warm welcome I've had since picking up my 91 (bone stock and all original no joke!) red NSX. I've got a few things planned for her and will post some pix up later on. What a bloody good car it is though and very ahead of its time. I'm primarily a Porschephile but having grown up in the UK during Senna's heyday I remember the original video of him driving the NSX and thinking someday I'd like to get one so here we are;)

I must say this forum, its members and vendors have been really helpful (very warm and fuzzy around here). I've picked up a set of black seats in excellent condition (mine were pretty worn), a set of the 99 rims/tires, a CF engine cover from members on here. Met a few fellow red NSX'ers already. I've sent out my ECU to Brian at Prospeed for a 91 octane tune already and got a Pride V2 exhaust from Mark coming too (both have been so nice to deal with). Got some stuff from SoS and Dali on the way. I've installed bilsteins and changing out the brakes for some slotted rotors and more aggressive pads and SS lines. All in a day's work for you guys I see but still I had to start somewhere;)

Attachments

• nsx.jpg
    nsx.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1,294
Congrats on your purchase but I have to admit.. I am a little jealous of your signature line up... will be more jealous when you ad the NSX. :biggrin:

Grats on the whip, hope Dali does you right

Nice 91! Try not to mod it up too much- it looks great with just a few tweaks. Just drive, maintain and enjoy!

Congrats and welcome !

Congrats on your purchase but I have to admit.. I am a little jealous of your signature line up... will be more jealous when you ad the NSX. :biggrin:

I can testify his collection of cars. Seen it all in person at his Porsche shop. All I can say is WOW! Amazing place with awesome cars.

I've already welcomed Alex privately, but just wanted to chime in and let the NSX brethren know of his help.
When I was shopping for the Porsche 911 Turbo, I actually gave Sharkwerks a call, because of all the great things that were said about them on Rennlist. He spent a good amount of time telling me about what to watch out for, and if the car was a good value. I ended up deciding to purchase mostly because of his good advice, and am extremely pleased because of it. Alex will be a strong asset to our community!

Thanks again Alex, and congratulations on your NSX.

Going to keep the exterior all stock. I don't need any more attention as it's pretty strict in our area;)

Some things I've been doing so far are... Stock shocks and springs coming off. The rear was very simple indeed:
sharkwerks_nsx_build_03.JPG

Into the spring compressor:
sharkwerks_nsx_build.jpeg

Back in with the bilsteins on the lower perch:
sharkwerks_nsx_build_03.jpeg

The fronts were quite tricky and it helped having a second person pry and guide....

Lowered ride height, newer wheels but a few more things yet!
sharkwerks_nsx_build_12.JPG

Next is the rotors, pads and lines... Going to be upgrading with slotted, SS lines and better pads:
sharkwerks_nsx_build_02.JPG

Thanks Teej! And I just love cars with a soul and the NSX has one that's for sure;)

I like things that rev fast, high and have titanium rods:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSz_rJ1jnQ4&feature=g-upl&context=G2392873AUAAAAAAAWAA

Grats on the whip, hope Dali does you right

Thanks and so far so good! Sorry to read/see problems. My transaction was really smooth. Just some brake lines, matts and a few other pieces.

Nice 91! Try not to mod it up too much- it looks great with just a few tweaks. Just drive, maintain and enjoy!

Roger that... I'm keeping it stock looking as per above. I like it that way and don't want too much attention around here. As is I have a few cars with big wings lol:P

Congrats and welcome !

Thanks!

I can testify his collection of cars. Seen it all in person at his Porsche shop. All I can say is WOW! Amazing place with awesome cars.

Great to meet you and the CF cover is on!:)

I've already welcomed Alex privately, but just wanted to chime in and let the NSX brethren know of his help.
When I was shopping for the Porsche 911 Turbo, I actually gave Sharkwerks a call, because of all the great things that were said about them on Rennlist. He spent a good amount of time telling me about what to watch out for, and if the car was a good value. I ended up deciding to purchase mostly because of his good advice, and am extremely pleased because of it. Alex will be a strong asset to our community!

Thanks again Alex, and congratulations on your NSX.

Thanks very much for the kind words and warm welcome too;) Makes me feel right at home here. The NSX folks are VERY helpful and passionate and that has a lot to do with the soul of this car I think. I've made new friends already!

Awesome. Welcome!

Thank you!

Interesting, Shad from DA is crewing for a P-car racing team and now we have Alex (P-car guru extraordinaire) buying a NSX :D. Is this an April fools joke a couple of days late? ;)

hehe weird!

Yeah, I went to this site yesterday and was like :eek: <-- not an eek, but a WOW!!! Awesome... even more awesome he chose an NSX has a daily driver. :biggrin:

Thanks and it should be a really good daily driver and a lot of fun;)

Welcome. I have heard a lot about Sharkwerks since I'm in the Bay Area also. Congrats on obtaining the absolute best color and year for the NSX. :biggrin:

Look forward to see what becomes of this, been a fan of what you have done with the GT3's

Congrats and welcome to the community! You sound like a guy who isn't afraid of some DIY but if you aren't already aware of it, check out the NSX Wiki for information on servicing, mod'ing, etc .. with lots of DIY. You can find it off the red action bar at the top of most pages. In fact, there's even an article on installing Bilsteins .. although it looks like you got the lower perch installed correctly the first time around.
Enjoy!

Congrats and welcome to the community! You sound like a guy who isn't afraid of some DIY but if you aren't already aware of it, check out the NSX Wiki for information on servicing, mod'ing, etc .. with lots of DIY. You can find it off the red action bar at the top of most pages. In fact, there's even an article on installing Bilsteins .. although it looks like you got the lower perch installed correctly the first time around.
Enjoy!
Thanks you very much and believe you me I've been digging/reading through the Wiki... seems very comprehensive and helpful indeed. The Porsche community doesn't have anything that good:( I guess a good few of us like getting our hands dirty on these cars. It's mostly fun I think;)

I did do those SS lines tonight in the rear and the Cryo-treated slotted rotors and pads. Didn't have a chance to do the fronts yet but I _think_ it's easier than the rear.
Look forward to see what becomes of this, been a fan of what you have done with the GT3's

Thanks and I promise it won't be too crazy. I do want to put a LWF in tho;)

Welcome. I have heard a lot about Sharkwerks since I'm in the Bay Area also. Congrats on obtaining the absolute best color and year for the NSX. :biggrin:

Thanks and indeed I had to go with red/black:)

I know Alex, aka Sharky, from another forum, awhile back. His reputation in the Porsche community is second to none. Maybe we'll have a "sharwerks" exhaust for the NSX community soon!!!!:wink:

Congrats on the car! Wow its going to look almost like mine. I have the pride v2 with the same wheels and same year and colour !
Nice choices!
You will love the pride it's great
Enjoy
Eddy

Welcome! I read about your journey home with the GT3RS from Illinois and back to California and loved the story. True car guy thing to do. :)

Enjoy your NSX! It is in good company, and a compliment to the car to share garage space with your other high caliber drivers cars.

Had a bit more time last night to add a few things, including the Cryo-treated front/rear slotted rotors, new pads, Dali SS lines and front brake cooling ducts from SoS (very much akin to the GT3 ducts I'm more used to). Also I love the location of the battery so down low like that (wish Porsche would do that) so I put in a lighter (22 pound AGM one) battery in since the old Interstate looked nasty:redface:

New rotors, pads and Dali SS lines (which btw fit perfect without any modification to the caliper for pass-through):
sharkwerks_nsx_build_2.JPG

sharkwerks_nsx_build_2_10.JPG

I looked at the Wiki and read all the stories of fluid going everywhere. I think rather than taking the line off at the banjo end you could do so at the very top where the clip goes to the mount. You can cap it off with minimum fuss and then avoid fluid going everywhere. I did the banjo last...

The SoS front brake cooling ducts are a perfect/fit and mold and compared to the smaller stock ones:
sharkwerks_nsx_build_2_03.JPG

And now feeding more air:
sharkwerks_nsx_build_2_05.JPG

Will bleed the system tonight and then tomorrow hopefully get to do the Pride V2 exhaust install and put that Prospeed tuned ECU back in. Looking forward to a fun weekend!

Back