Selling my NSX... AGAIN...

Well, the day has come where I need to consider selling my Silverstone '00 NSX.

My first question is what type of price should I ask? It's in prestine condition with 11.5K miles. Comptech SC, Intake, Headers, and Exhaust.

I've come up with a rough figure of $87,500 (Stock '00s with low miles seem to be going for $76-79K).

Is auto trader my best bet, or are there other sources that may be better for me to use?

Right now, I'm looking at downgrading from my NSX and Land Cruiser to a 2001 M5 - drove it today and it's definitely a nice car. Anyone have feedback on the M5 - anyone here own one?

Thanks!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

David,

Can't someone buy a new 2002 for less than that?

-Jim

PS: M5 is a great car. My friend has one. It's a larger sports sedan however and there's no comparing it to the NSX. As sports sedans go it's one of the best, if not the best.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I would expect any 2000 NSX to be in pristine condition.

Right now, most of the 18 NSX's listed for sale on autotrader.com have just a couple thousand miles, and a third of them have asking prices under $70K. Based on that, I would expect the final selling price for the typical 2000 NSX-T to be in the $65-68K range.

For the value of this particular car, based on David's description, I would add $5-6K for the mods (roughly 40 percent of their original purchase price), but subtract $2-3K for the relatively high mileage. If I were placing an ad, I would list the asking price at $75K and expect the final selling price to be $68-72K.

In addition to autotrader.com I would place ads on NSXprime, nsxsc, NSXchange, and NSX Exotic, all of which are free, AFAIK.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 17 May 2002).]

You'd probably make more money removing the modifications and selling them. The stock car will be more likely to sell around the prices mentioned above.

I don't think the mods will raise the purchase price more than they'd bring on the used part market.

I have a potential buyer for the SC ($6.3K) - what's the market like for selling the other comptech pieces? (Intake, Header, Exhaust)

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Well, if I get the $8.5M investment I need for my company I can keep it. Anyone have that laying around?

:-P

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Originally posted by David Allen:
Well, if I get the $8.5M investment I need for my company I can keep it. Anyone have that laying around?

:-P

Yeah, I just can not remember where I laid it down last.

Why don't you take out a loan against your car?

If you still want to sell it, I think you would be better off returning the car to stock and sell the parts.

------------------
91 Red/Ivory #2061

Actually, I went out and test drove a Mercedes E55 AMG today. Best sedan I've ever driven (overall better than the M5 IMO). The only thing it didn't have over the M5 was performance handling (high speed banking, etc), but other than that, I think it's a better car.

I'm really leaning towards the E55 now - that 391 torque blows the launch of the M5 away.

Are there any other vehicles that anyone recommends I try out? I wanted to try an Audi S8, but there's not a single one in the Denver area...
frown.gif

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Actually, I went out and test drove a Mercedes E55 AMG today...I wanted to try an Audi S8...

Why are you selling the NSX? What do these 2 vehicles mentioned above cost? Couldn't you get a used NSX for the cost of the above sedans? I notice you had a Land cruiser, so I assume you dont need a "bigger" car.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I'm just trying to consolidate my SUV and sports car into one car. The Invoice on a E55 is actually $67K (Mercedes gets 3% holdback so easier to negotiate). A new NSX is $88K, so they are not the same cost.

My choice is financially-based and business-oriented. I can't have just the NSX since I need to be able to transport more than 1 passenger at a time (for business) and we actually get snow here in the winter.

I have to admit - it was really nice driving the Sedans today. I enjoy the NSX, but since I need to choose to have just 1 car, I choose to get a sedan of some sort.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try out the GS430 and a LS430. I need to decide if a $70K Mercedes E55 is worth 20K more than a Lexus, etc.

I'll be deciding what I want sometime next week and take things from there...

In the end it's not a big deal - a year or two down the line, I'll just buy another NSX if I want one again
smile.gif

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

Thanks for the polite response. By the way, we get snow here in the winter too! Small world. Good luck in the sedan shopping and let us know how it turns out.
smile.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

E55 all the way! That car really kicks ass! It doesn't have as many gadgets as the Bimmer, but I agree with you that it is an all around better car, unless you need a manual transmission. I recall reading several comparisions between the two that usually comes to the same conclusion. If you can't justify the $70k price, why don't you pick up a pre-owned one? 99's can be had for low fifties. E55 production (500 a year) is also more limited than M5's, making it a rarer car. Did you know that E55's came in yellow? Damn ugly in my opinion, but it sure is an eye catcher!

[This message has been edited by ck (edited 18 May 2002).]

Hi David,

If you're selling your two cars because you need the money for your company, why not try to get by on something even less expensive? Instead of looking at a single $70K car, maybe you could get by with a car for $50K or $40K or even less. There are a lot of great cars on the market today, and if you need the money, you can get even more equity out of your current cars by getting something less expensive, without feeling like you're slumming. There are plenty of options for less money. Just for example, for the low thirties you can get a new Acura TL Type S or a used four-door BMW E36 M3. Nice cars that can hold four adults comfortably, and still have some real performance to them. There are plenty of other nice cars on the market too, in all price categories. And you'll have more funds coming out to invest in your company (or even to set aside towards the re-purchase of another NSX).

I have a potential buyer for the SC ($6.3K) - what's the market like for selling the other comptech pieces? (Intake, Header, Exhaust)

I'd be interested in the headers and exhaust.

Ken, I am considering the 'lower cost option' (one reason I'm checking out more cars tomorrow). In reality, getting rid of the cars doesn't do much for my business itself, but allows me to survive longer without having to change my focus to something else. I went through this same thing more than two years ago when I started Artifact Entertainment and sold my '92 to support the company - raised $6M a few months later, so that worked out
smile.gif

I loved the E55 AMG, but I agree that there may be better and more cost efficient solutions overall - I'm open to any of them. I'll check out the cars you listed.

My problem with the Acura sedans is the lack of horsepower. Wish they'd build something with a little more balls to it (besides the NSX
smile.gif
).

SCS2K - send me an EMail and we can discuss the parts you mentioned.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

My problem with the Acura sedans is the lack of horsepower. Wish they'd build something with a little more balls to it (besides the NSX
smile.gif
).

The TL Type S has 260 horsepower - not bad at all for that size car. Unfortunately, only its coupe companion, the CL Type S, is also available with a 6-speed.

Another option - more expensive than this, but less than the others you've mentioned - is the new E46 BMW M3, with its 333 hp. The reasons I didn't mention it is because (a) there is no four-door at this time (I assumed from your statement about adults riding in back that this is a requirement), and (b) it's fairly pricey - base sticker is around $46K but they're typically going out the door around $53K with options.

All too often, the answer to the question, "How fast do you want to go?", is, "How much do you want to spend?"

Silly me, thinking that car dealers would be open on a Sunday (you know, when people aren't working and are more apt to buy a vehicle). Whatever was I thinking?

Guess it's been awhile since I went shopping (could have sworn most dealers were open on Sunday). Guess I'll have to go drive more cars tomorrow...

Ken, I need a 4-door sedan, so the M3 really isn't a viable solution, but I do appreciate the recommendation!

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T

I don't know if it is by custom in some places, but in Illinois, all car dealers are closed by state law. The dealers lobbied the state legislature to pass the law some years ago.

While it is inconvenient for car buyers, I must sympathize with the dealers on this issue. A car salesman does a big percentage of his/her sales on Saturdays, and as a result rarely can take a weekend off. That's a real downside to being in that business. I'm happy to let them have their Sundays off.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 19 May 2002).]

Back