Seeking NSX/Owner with a good story for a TV program called "Style in Steel"

Re: Seeking NSX/Owner with a good story for a TV program called "Style in Steel"

By the way, I am typing this somewhere over the Altantic at 35000 ft...now thats magic!!!
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Nah.... not really magic

Bram

Re: Seeking NSX/Owner with a good story for a TV program called "Style in Steel"

Bram--it is when you have a scotch in your hands!

It was a great experince but shocking to see 7 hours of filming resulting in a 7 minute segment. Funny enough, what I said and what came out was movie magic at its best! In any event, I certaintly have no issue with the showing,
I joined the club for one reason and one reason only....to meet a rare group of people who share the same enthusiam as I do over a car take makes us all extremely proud.
By the way, I am typing this somewhere over the Altantic at 35000 ft...now thats magic!!!
Jim .. as another Canadian with an early year, black NSX with 300,000 kms on it .. and thinking of what my next options are .. I was very interested in your comments in the segment. You're quoted as saying that you spent "at least $35-40K" on all your upgrades which was more than I was expecting .. but it appears to be a first rate build so maybe you get what you pay for.

Would you care to share ballpark estimates for the various sub projects? I'm not interested in the stereo or wheel upgrades but quite curious about the SOS supercharger install and transmission rebuild. Did SOS do those for you or did you have that done in Canada? And I presume if the car was already at 300,000 kms, you probably started with an engine refresh; a new engine mgmt system; probably a new clutch; and I'm not even sure what you need to feed engine info to the Kenwood display in the dash.

Then there was a mention of upgrading brakes, which may have meant the upgraded SOS ABS kit; new rotors and pads; and maybe even a big brake kit with new calipers. No mention of suspension mods but the car has a wonderful stance so you may have done some coil-overs as well and maybe a sway-bar upgrade. Then there was mention of the tranny rebuild with the JDM short gears. You may have also added headers and exhaust at the same time and the rear valence doesn't look stock for an early year.

Tks in advance for whatever ball park estimates you're comfortable sharing. There aren't too many of us in the 300,000 km club where we're looking at engine and tranny refreshes so I'm always interested in what people's real life experiences are and whether they'd do it again the same way.
Tks ...Ian

Ian,
We can get copies made, for NSXCC members if there is enough interest.
Bram
In the building of the episode (which also has some coverage of a Miata and 280z), they used a couple of different snippets of Jim's filming in the intro prior to the main piece and I am in the process of rearranging and editing the pieces together into something that flows. But editing HD video can be a challenge for an amateur like me and I'm having some issues with voice sync. I was thinking maybe I should just convert it to widescreen DVD format which would be smaller and I could probably just upload it to YouTube which might make it easier for everyone to view. I'm not even sure I could upload HD video to YouTube or whether you could even view it on a normal power computer without a h/w video accelerator card.
Thoughts?

Hi Ian

To answer your first question, I would do it all over again without question. At the time the car had 268,000km, now 328000km .At the outset, I did consider some local shops but was not comfortable in the end for various reasons. I wanted someone who knew the car inside and out. So..I visited 4 shops in the US and ended up with SOS. Bias perhaps but I liked what I saw in Chris Wilson and his crew.I personally have a great respect for him which for me in business is key and crucial.*

My objective was to rebuild the car for reliable daily use. In the early years,I tracked the car,not the case now and so items such as suspension mods were built around my objective and yes I did lower the car.Probably the only thing I would not do again are short gears,largely because most of my driving is on highways.If not, then short gears are the answer.

Due to the length of my list, if you pm me with your email address, I would be more then willing to share my detail build with you. Equally well, a chat with Chris would be a definite must regardless of your ultimate intentions. He will not steer you in the wrong direction.If you so decide, I can always do an intro for you.

Jim

I saw the video (thanks for sending it down Jim!) - it was great to see the NSX get the attention it deserves.

Ian - Jim was pretty extensive with his refurbishment of his car (it was actually in great condition to begin with, especially considering the mileage). Certainly, the work could be scaled back - and much of it could be performed in Canada if you prefer. Our system can be installed by most technicians, and we offer services like the transmission rebuild on a core exchange basis.

If you have any questions on this, please let us know.

thank you,
-- Chris

Ian - Jim was pretty extensive with his refurbishment of his car (it was actually in great condition to begin with, especially considering the mileage). Certainly, the work could be scaled back - and much of it could be performed in Canada if you prefer. Our system can be installed by most technicians, and we offer services like the transmission rebuild on a core exchange basis.

If you have any questions on this, please let us know.

thank you,
-- Chris
Tks Chris .. yes, I'm quite familiar with SOS having purchased a number of parts (headers, ABS upgrade, etc) from you over the years. You even gave me a tour of your old facilities back in May 2008 when I was down in Phoenix and I know you guys do great work and offer multiple NA and FI options in addition to engines 'refreshes' so you'll be high on my list at rebuild time.

OK gang .. you can now view it on YouTube at the following link. Jim has agree to us seeing the video and has requested clearance from the show but in the meantime, to avoid copyright issues I created this as an unlisted video so only those with the link can see or search it.

This is a 30 min show which has 3 segments, the first of which is Jim's. To minimize editing requirements, I left the full intro in, partially because it acknowledges the show itself. It's somewhat ironic that a show called "Style in Steel", has a segment on the NSX which has very little steel in it .. but since they focus on muscle cars (and earlier), it probably never occurred to them that a 22 year old car might be built from Aluminum .. although they specifically mention it in the video.

Anyway, great job by Jim in expounding on the virtues of the car and for the most part, I thought that the voiceover was well done and the video is outstanding. Love that exhaust note too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zEw-XBketH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seeking NSX/Owner with a good story for a TV program called "Style in Steel"

Bump for a great show. A number of you have been asking about this featured video of Jim's car, so here it is.

Back