Score one for the NSX ... over a 997 Carrera S!

OK so i dont really make a habit of challenging others with the NSX...those days are behind me and gone with my previous Nissan GTR and 911 Turbo ...

a friend and i were on a nice drive after i took him to pick up his tiptronic 997 carrera S. He had a few cosmetic mods done and was feeling good about his car, so we had a safe little friendly highway challenge ...

From 40 mph to speed limit or so...

i got him easily by a carlength each of 3 out of 3 tries ...first 2 from 3rd gear, the last in 2nd.

He was dumbfounded. Couldnt understand how the 3.2 could out pace the 3.6!

mine's a 2004 with SOS intake, and endura lite exhaust. Thats it!

The NSX is full of suprises!!

19 hours ago post and no response.... tisk tisk.. I'll respond...

nice job... its always more fun when its a friend you sprint with...
I had a fun sprint at the end of last summer with an old man in an old A/C Cobra (or nice replica). It was in the middle of a paint job rebuild but it was fast...

We were both stuck in traffic and I hear someone yelling something at me for a couple lanes over... I roll down my window and this old dude keeps pointing at his car and saying "Mines faster...". I just nodded and waved like "Okay old man, not that it really matters...nice car nonetheless".

So traffic clears up (accident) and already late to pick up my son, I gun it... not too fast, up to 80 or so... the old man gets behind me... I make my clover leaf exit onto the next freeway... clear space in front of me... old man behind me... I gun it again from about 50... get up to 120 or so before my exit is coming up... so lay off the gas and ease into my exit... Old man exits with me, rolls up next to me and yells "I'm getting way too old to go that fast!!" We both laugh about it, he turns around and goes back to wherever he was originally headed.

Good times...

Teej - thanks for humoring me...good to know someone else still enjoys a good row once in a while.

(I was beginning to think the NSX crowd was just a bunch of stodgy old men!!)

I really was genuinely surprised by my NSX, and wanted to share.

Nice. Stuff like that is fun. Some people get on a soapbox about racing, but as long as you're smart and no other cars are around, I don't see the harm.
As far as speed, the NSX has magic going on somewhere, I can't explain it.
I haven't lost a race yet and have gone against several 400hp cars in my Stock 3.2l NSX. Doesn't make sense.
The last one was the most fun. A hopped up newer mustang. Definitively had cams, it sounded wicked, not sure what else he had, but he looked MAD that I beat him, lol. Visibly upset.
Cool guy though, we talked after racing for a while. He couldn't believe my cars stock.

Nice. Stuff like that is fun. Some people get on a soapbox about racing, but as long as you're smart and no other cars are around, I don't see the harm.
As far as speed, the NSX has magic going on somewhere, I can't explain it.
I haven't lost a race yet and have gone against several 400hp cars in my Stock 3.2l NSX. Doesn't make sense.
The last one was the most fun. A hopped up newer mustang. Definitively had cams, it sounded wicked, not sure what else he had, but he looked MAD that I beat him, lol. Visibly upset.
Cool guy though, we talked after racing for a while. He couldn't believe my cars stock.

Its the nsx's best kept secret....It comes alive when it needs to. :D

OK so i dont really make a habit of challenging others with the NSX...those days are behind me and gone with my previous Nissan GTR and 911 Turbo ...

a friend and i were on a nice drive after i took him to pick up his tiptronic 997 carrera S. He had a few cosmetic mods done and was feeling good about his car, so we had a safe little friendly highway challenge ...

i got him easily by a carlength each of 3 out of 3 tries ...first 2 from 3rd gear, the last in 2nd.

I'm not surprised.......I don't go looking for cars to race but have run my 93 against a buddy's new STI and another buddy's V-8 R8 and come out (barely) ahead on both.......unbelievable really for a 20 year old "relic"....
H/I/Chip/120LB diet

Last edited:
just saw this thread. if the car is a c2s, then it should have almost a 100 hp advantage being that its a 3.8 (i believe the 3.6 is roughly 350 hp).

either way... awesome.

just saw this thread. if the car is a c2s, then it should have almost a 100 hp advantage being that its a 3.8 (i believe the 3.6 is roughly 350 hp).
either way... awesome.

I am ALWAYS Surprised when other people are surprised with the little tricks the NSX can do :biggrin: :biggrin:
AFAIK, actually, the Porsche 997-model 911 Carerra S has 355 HP.

First:
The German SportAuto magazine listed the 997 Carrera S with manual gearbox at 3234 lbs. The tiptronic is supposedly even a little heavier. So there the advantage goes already to the NSX.
Second:
The 2002+ NSX all seem to have just a little more HP than is officially stated by Honda. So the actual difference in Lbs/HP is rather small between cars.

And on the street, the MAX number of HP means literally nothing
On the street, it's all about the power you have under the curve. Who cares about an engine having 400 HP at 8000 rpm.
If you're driving at 60 mph and about 3000 rpm, that 400+ HP engine is only doing about 140-150 HP.
Now, shift back a few gears and suddenly you're doing 6000 rpm, and you have about 300 HP under your foot, ready to propel your car.
It's ALL about the curves :tongue: :tongue:
If you kow about your curves and how to exploit them, you can suprise lots of people.

My friend just recently picked up a 2005 911 Carerra S 6spd and let me take it for a spin. I can tell you for certain that there is no way I would be able to beat that car in a straightline race. Then again I have a 1995 5spd.

Still the 1/4 mile and spec sheets give the 911 Carerra S 6spd a significant advantage over the 2004 NSX-T (12.6 @ 114mph sec vs ~13.3 @ 105). To put that in perspective, that's 9 carlengths and the Carerra is pulling away at 9mph by the end.

That Tiptronic must not be a good transmission...

it all depends on the driver of the 911 S...probably can't drive. I'm sure if you put in an experience driver in either car, it'll smoke the other driver (not car) LOL.

A 997 C2S is faster than an NSX. How much faster? 8 mph faster down the back straight at MO, which is significantly faster! Watch Ray pull from me on every straight even after I catch him in the corners.

YOU GUYS ARE DREAMING IF YOU THINK YOUR NSX IS EVEN CLOSE TO A 997 C2S!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JQ72p3Nt9CA?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Last edited:
A 997 C2S is faster than an NSX. How much faster? 8 mph faster down the back straight at MO, which is significantly faster! Watch Ray pull from me on every straight even after I catch him in the corners.

YOU GUYS ARE DREAMING IF YOU THINK YOUR NSX IS EVEN CLOSE TO A 997 C2S!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JQ72p3Nt9CA?rel=0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="720" width="1280"></iframe>

Yes, but you are talking about track driving here, we BOTH drivers will (probably) be taking maximum advantage of their engine's potential all through the rev range. Which is often quite different from people driving on the street who perhaps never have seen a track in their life. Not everyone is willing or eager to rev their engine all the way to redline.

Off Topic: That a very good quality video there. What camera are you using fo that??

Yes, but you are talking about track driving here, we BOTH drivers will (probably) be taking maximum advantage of their engine's potential all through the rev range. Which is often quite different from people driving on the street who perhaps never have seen a track in their life. Not everyone is willing or eager to rev their engine all the way to redline.

Off Topic: That a very good quality video there. What camera are you using fo that??

YES. You are correct but it drives me crazy when people make statements like....

.... because an NSX can NOT out pace a C2S. Not even close. The C2S is a MUCH, MUCH faster car in a straight line than the NSX. MUCH FASTER! :rolleyes: The only way an NSX will stay with a C2S is if the Porsche driver isn't flooring it or short shifting.

Camera is an Aiptek 1080p HD. The key is a sturdy mount using 2 axises so the camera doesn't shake or vibrate.

Last edited:
YES. You are correct but it drives me crazy when people make statements like....

.... because an NSX can NOT out pace a C2S. Not even close. The C2S is a MUCH, MUCH faster car in a straight line than the NSX. MUCH FASTER! :rolleyes: The only way an NSX will stay with a C2S is if the Porsche driver isn't flooring it or short shifting.

Well, Captain CL65, in this case you are wrong. My NSX IS faster than that particular C2S. Quite a bit, in fact. That's why I posted, because it was a surprise to me as well. It is also nearly AS fast as a 2012 BMW M3 Lime Rock. 30-90, 1/4 car length behind. Straight line. Just tested and maybe more shocking than the C2S.

As above, you're reacting way faster than the other driver or he is starting at a poor spot of his rpm range or his car is badly busted.

The C2S is way faster than an NSX of any year. Tip or not.

Back