• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

ScienceofSpeed Laminova Intercooler for ScienceofSpeed/Comptech Supercharger System

Hi Chris,

Those results are simly AWESOME :eek: :eek:
With 416 WHP, you are getting into Ferrari F430/Gallardo territory :smile:

How well will/would an otherwise stock engine hold up to these powerlevels.

If one would drive his SC'ed NSX a lot, would it make sense to lower the boost to preserve the engine.

Hi Chris,

If one would drive his SC'ed NSX a lot, would it make sense to lower the boost to preserve the engine.

This is my car and since I live in Vegas, I won't see that HP at this altitude. This is also an 2005 engine with 20K that we transplanted into a 92. My last engine with a 3.0 Head on a 3.2 short block let go in the head gasket area (built about 6 years ago). The intercooler was installed mainly to get as much safety on a stock engine -- and I wanted a 3.2 due to the better head gasket design.

I'm scheduled to pick the car up on Monday so I've give some feedback then. Plus I got the new RPS carbon clutch as well.

Last edited:
This is my car and since I live in Vegas, I won't see that HP at this altitude. This is also an 2005 engine with 20K that we transplanted into a 92. My last engine with a 3.0 Head on a 3.2 short block let go in the head gasket area (built about 6 years ago). The intercooler was installed mainly to get as much safety on a stock engine -- and I wanted a 3.2 due to the better head gasket design.

I'm scheduled to pick the car up on Monday so I've give some feedback then. Plus I got the new RPS carbon clutch as well.
Chris and/or CPTNSX,
Beside needing a longer belt due to the 1.3" increase in height. Could you guys post a pic of how the throttle body coupler to air cleaner box looks. After your email Chris, I went out to measure how much room I have to keep my cover and hatch setup. It looks like I can get it to work. I just need to see how stretched flexible part is. Thanks

We reposition the airbox with the intercooler kit such that the intake boot does not get stretched. This still allows the air box to fit into the opening in the engine bay to connect to air induction scoops. As you can see below, they barely differ with the intercooler installed:

enginebayinstalled_800.jpg

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hi Chris,

The F430's (though I'm not sure about the Gallardo's, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same or less ) is unsurprisingly, overrated.

Dyno's have put the F430 stock at around 400 RWPH, and the F430 CS at 420RWHP, alternatively, there is 20% drivertrain loss.

Take into account that a NSX can easily be between 2800 - 3000 lbs, whereas the CS is around 3000 lbs, the 430 at ~3200 and the Gallardo much fatter, it essentially means you have a fast bad ass car, at least in a straight line.

Good luck, enjoy, and don't do anything stupid, like someone I know :) If you thought superchargers are expensive, wait until you mean the California Highway Patrol :redface:

Last edited:
The F430's (though I'm not sure about the Gallardo's, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same or less ) is unsurprisingly, overrated.

Dyno's have put the F430 stock at around 400 RWPH, and the F430 CS at 420RWHP, alternatively, there is 20% drivertrain loss.

Take into account that a NSX can easily be between 2800 - 3000 lbs, whereas the CS is around 3000 lbs, the 430 at ~3200 and the Gallardo much fatter, it essentially means you have a fast bad ass car, at least in a straight line.

Good luck, enjoy, and don't do anything stupid, like someone I know :) If you thought superchargers are expensive, wait until you mean the California Highway Patrol :redface:

Thanks for the warning, I have a valentine one and during my 9 year ownership never got a ticket -- I pick my spots to briefly open it up -- and aside from one time about 4 years ago I do not take the bait with other cars.

My old engine made 300rwhp and to me it was fast. I just could not go back to stock power levels so getting a supercharger was the way to go. I was going to get a used old wipple but you know Chris talked me into his supercharger. I got my old 3.2 short block from Chris about 6 years ago so he gave me a great deal on his supercharger and due to the fact I've bought so much stuff from him in the past I got a good deal and discounts on the labor.

He told me about his new upcoming intercooler and let me know if I was willing to wait I could get a great deal on it and the labor for being the first to get it. I figured with my luck (yeah being in Vegas) I needed to bring down the iats. The additional power was icing on the cake.

Someone backed out of the RPS carbon clutch, so Chris gave me an awesome deal on that with no labor charge.

So the goal was not to spend this much, just get the car back up and running and with more power than it had before.

I'm excited its going to have so much more power and I was able to get rid of that heavy single RPS clutch (grabbed great but takes the fun out of driving).

I also added the Type-R chassis bars (since the front bumper must come off for the heat exchanger.) Plus we found that the transmission rebuilt 9 years ago before I got the car was not built correctly --- so that was fixed - already has the short gears and 4.235 --- they added the Type-R break away settings.

So should be a completely different car.

As for being careful with the power, I daily drive a S2000. That car teaches you a lot about throttle modulation -- even with the modest power. I'm still trying to tame that rear end. The RE-01 (with wear) helped.

Thanks for the warning, I have a valentine one and during my 9 year ownership never got a ticket -- I pick my spots to briefly open it up -- and aside from one time about 4 years ago I do not take the bait with other cars.

My old engine made 300rwhp and to me it was fast. I just could not go back to stock power levels so getting a supercharger was the way to go. I was going to get a used old wipple but you know Chris talked me into his supercharger. I got my old 3.2 short block from Chris about 6 years ago so he gave me a great deal on his supercharger and due to the fact I've bought so much stuff from him in the past I got a good deal and discounts on the labor.

He told me about his new upcoming intercooler and let me know if I was willing to wait I could get a great deal on it and the labor for being the first to get it. I figured with my luck (yeah being in Vegas) I needed to bring down the iats. The additional power was icing on the cake.

Someone backed out of the RPS carbon clutch, so Chris gave me an awesome deal on that with no labor charge.

So the goal was not to spend this much, just get the car back up and running and with more power than it had before.

I'm excited its going to have so much more power and I was able to get rid of that heavy single RPS clutch (grabbed great but takes the fun out of driving).

I also added the Type-R chassis bars (since the front bumper must come off for the heat exchanger.) Plus we found that the transmission rebuilt 9 years ago before I got the car was not built correctly --- so that was fixed - already has the short gears and 4.235 --- they added the Type-R break away settings.

So should be a completely different car.

Having a good relationship with a vendor appears to help, who woulda thunk it :rolleyes: This might explain why I always pay retail++ costs :biggrin: I kid, of course.

Sounds like an awesome car. I'm down about 40RWHP from you, and w/o the short gears, and possibly heavier. My car gets me in plenty of trouble, and I can't imagine what yours would.

Nice job Chris...
Well thought out and well executed.
Impressive numbers.
Congratulations.

I heard these units leaked like crazy. If not, why were they discontinued? These were a whole lot cheaper than the DA aftercooler.

I heard these units leaked like crazy. If not, why were they discontinued? These were a whole lot cheaper than the DA aftercooler.

No, they do not leak. In fact, that's the benefit of this design is a properly o-ringed water junctions eliminating weld joints that could fail. They were discontinued because of lack of demand. It took 2 years to sell the last batch which is not a viable product for us to continue.

No, they do not leak. In fact, that's the benefit of this design is a properly o-ringed water junctions eliminating weld joints that could fail. They were discontinued because of lack of demand. It took 2 years to sell the last batch which is not a viable product for us to continue.
Are you willing/ able to create another upon request?

That's too bad. But thanks for answering my question.

Also curious if these could be made to order.

I also heard these still had problems with heat soaking, however that may be negated now with the use of A.S. Motorsports insulated gaskets. I'd be curious to know for sure.

Last edited:
Also curious if these could be made to order.

I also heard these still had problems with heat soaking, however that may be negated now with the use of A.S. Motorsports insulated gaskets. I'd be curious to know for sure.

Unfortunately, we can not as they require a minimum 20 pc run in order to be priced reasonably.

Regarding heat soaking: no, these do not heat soak. The front heat exchanger extracts heat faster than a supercharger can input heat at the intercooler. However, the maximum temperature decrease is about 30 deg F due to packaging. More cores would equal more cooling capacity, however, the intercooler can not be raised more than ~1.3" (or it will hit the glass). This design maximized the number of cores that could be used by dropping them in to the supercharger manifold. In our testing, the 1" bar and plate intercooler also mentioned in this thread produces hotter inlet temperatures than the Laminova design. A much thicker core would be ideal, but it's not possible due to the height constraint.

I think L_RAO said he was getting almost 30degree difference from just using insulating gaskets ("keeping IATs in check" FI section). I wonder what those + the laminova would produce.... Sandwiching a conductive metal between something that gets hot and something else that gets really hot seems like it would benefit greatly with insulation.

Just thinking out loud, I do like the laminova design.

Back