• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

SC rebuilds revisited

As some of you may know and as expressed in an earlier thread about supercharger rebuilds, I have struggled for about 2 years now, with what to do with an aging Whipple from my CTSC setup. My kit has about 55K miles on it and has in recent years become extremely noisy (rattley) at idle. Back in 2011, I took it off and sent it to a company in Oklahoma that claimed they did rebuilds for a living. like some of you, the experience was bad. It took a couple of weeks just to have them acknowledge receipt of my unit; another 2 weeks to give me an assessment, only to tell me my unit was beyond repairs and offered to sell me a replacement (newer (1600AX) and modify my my manifold for a total cost of about $3K+. I called Shad who had recommended them and he promptly asked me to have it sent back untouched. And that is what it was when it got back: Untouched ! they had not open-end it up for a true evaluation; and I had physical proof of that ! I re-installed it, cleaned the TB for a smoother idle and filled it with GM/Delco SC oil which I was told was a little thicker. It worked enough for me to go to NSXPO and put an another 15K noisy miles since.

I recently, and by accident found a company in Idaho that sells rebuilt units and also rebuilds customers' units. They claimed they were familiar with all types of SC's and had done many Whipples. I talked to the owner and liked his attitude and apparent honesty. I took the Whipple off myself and shipped it to them on 10/21. I received calls almost every day starting 10/24 to give me updates and estimates. I was told there was nothing drastically wrong with my unit, certainly not the "worn out" impellers that the first company had informed me of. I authorized the work and received the unit back (with all removed parts) on 11/11. I installed it this past weekend with freshened injectors and I couldn't be happier. The unit is totally silent and smooth and builds the full 6 pounds of boost. I even had them powder-coat the casing.

I got a good education in SC units and how they behave with time. The cost was a fraction of the earlier bad experience; very reasonable.
You can PM me and I will be glad to give you my phone number for a detailed first hand account of my experience.

Last edited:
This is great news for all of us with SC's. Since I DD mine it will need a rebiuld at some point and it's good to know there is a reputable place to send it. We'll talk more when I see you, hopefully at the SCA meet.

Tino - Did they tell you what exactly they changed or rebuilt? The noise is sometimes due to gear lash or worn out bearings so i'm curious exactly how far they go. Sounds very very good though! Thanks for sharing

Les - I wonder if they also know how to rebuild the Autorotors. Sounds like they might be able to.

- - - Updated - - -

I was surprised though (in my case) because my Autorotor was actually peaking at 8psi at the track. I've never gotten more than 7.1psi before. If I recall Tino was averaging lower than normal boost levels prior to rebuild. Great to hear he's back at normal boost pressure.

Regan, yes and no. It is a little more involved than your rather simplistic observation. Worn bearings will cause noise on their way to failure but they will also cause other components to make their own noise. For example, the Whipple has a tolerance of .003-.009 (+/- .002 thermal expansion) between the front face of the impellers and the front bearings plate (turn a removed SC over and you will see how incredibly close they are). Of course, the closer, the higher the pressure. My impeller bearings were worn enough to cause the impellers to intermittently rub against the plate and that creates a lot of noise.

To answer your First question, a total of 7 bearings, 3 seals and the all-important Coupler were changed. My guy offers a carbon fiber coupler instead of the stock plastic one for a few more $. My impellers were well within limit amd the case plenty reusable.

My low boost reading was due to a faulty AEM electronic gauge. Your reading of 8psi is unlikely and could probably be a gauge reading spike. Yes they rebuild Autorotors regularly.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Good to know there's someone that can rebuild these. After 8 years mine only has approximately 15k miles on it. Is age a factor on these systems or is it strictly miles? Mines running great still.

Good question. I have 163k mi on my CTSC, no issues [knock on wood]. It's a "hi-boost" setup. I think with regular maintenance, it should run for many miles more.

Good to know there's someone that can rebuild these. After 8 years mine only has approximately 15k miles on it. Is age a factor on these systems or is it strictly miles? Mines running great still.

Good question. I have 163k mi on my CTSC, no issues [knock on wood]. It's a "hi-boost" setup. I think with regular maintenance, it should run for many miles more.

What type/brand/grade of oil do you use?
What level on dip stick?
Have you inspected your gears/plastic coupler?

What type/brand/grade of oil do you use?
What level on dip stick?
Have you inspected your gears/plastic coupler?

Mobil 1 15W-50. Have not inspected the gears. If it isn't giving me grief after all the miles I've put on it, I'm not going to crack it open to look for something that may not be there.

<o:tongue:<o:tongue:<o:tongue:I would like to be your tech support when it comes to these superchargers. Ask me any question you wish and I can supply you with good reliable answers and some help if you need.<o:tongue:>

Thank you.<o:tongue:>

Ed Martinez<o:tongue:></o
</o</o</o</o</o

I started this thread and as such, I would like to ask you to refer to this forum administrator's instructions and restrict your posts to the Vendors area.

hey bboxer I was wondering what did the rebuild cost you? If you don't wanna post that info can you PM me.. I would like to send my old supercharger out to jon bond to be rebuilt next month. also I wanted to know did you send just the super charger or the base under the charger with the fuel injectors? I notice you said you had re installed "freshened injectors"

thanks Jermaine

Nsxman2001, I will PM you tomorrow with the costs involved. Yes I sent my injectors to RC (Russ Collins) in Torrance. They cleaned and recalibrated them with new seals.

I think I may need this service too.. I removed my super charger because the back 3 fuel injectors started to leak I figured its the O ring but probably should have them cleaned also.. Can you also let me know how long it took and the price for this service also I figured may as well get everything done while the car is down..

with the supercharger did you remove the manifold before shipping it? I mean the side with the hoses attached to the air box.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Back